Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Trail running

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Trail running
on: May 31, 2012, 04:23:57 AM
So I've been getting into some serious trail running. I was wondering if anyone else was also a trail runner, and if so what so you run with? I typically run 5-15 miles. I'm trying to get up to the 25 mile range, so I think I need to add some gear.

Typically I will run with a basic hydration setup, for a long time this was just an old camelback. I recently picked up a nice osprey hydration daypack, (manta 30). Its a little bigfor running but its a great day hiker. I have another pack about half the size en route.

I generally run in vibram five fingers.
(insert witty quote)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Trail running
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 11:56:35 PM
I do some trail running.  Only special gear I carry is a hydration pack, energy source (gels, candy, etc) and a phone in case of injury.   If I was running really tricky terrain, I might bring one trekking pole, but I haven't had a need for that yet.

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 01:05:57 AM
Yea, I think beyond the hydration pack and some energy, there isn't really a whole lot to bring. What hydration system are you using?
For a long time I was using the old style camel back. The camel back was great until I started getting longer runs, the problem is that I just can't fit anything into the pack.  Finally I upgraded to a new osprey system, but the pack is just too big to effectively run with.
(insert witty quote)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 03:49:05 AM
I use a camelbak hip belt system.  It has a pocket that will hold my phone and 3 or 4 energy gels (or a full pack of starbursts).

The side benefit is, the belt gives a little back support, so it helps some on the big drops.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%