Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Today was a great day...

Chako · 15 · 5194

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Today was a great day...
on: June 14, 2012, 03:07:27 AM
...for new arrivals!

I got home and found several packages tucked between my storm and main door, and the mailbox was full. Days like this reminds me of Christmas. :D

So what did I get today you may be asking yourself, a hodgepodge  of mixed items.

First off, several smaller packages that contains a few one piece MTs.  Not my favorite form factor by far, however, when I stumbled upon these cheap tools, I figured I couldn't lose...much. Most of these are Navy branded tools.

Navy CUI 1002.

Navy CUI 1003.

Navy CUI 2001.

Navy CUI 2002.

Navy CUI 2003.

Navy CUI 2005.

Timberline Tool.

A few more special decorated Leathermans were located in another package.

Leatherman Wingman Spider Edition.

Leatherman Wingman Classic Paisley Edition.

Leatherman Wingman Father's Day Edition.

Leatherman Gold Plated Blast.

Leatherman Gold Plated Fuse.

Another package contained a few more special edition Victorinox knives.

Mushroom.

Skull.

Tattoo.

2008 Military set.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Today was a great day...
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 03:19:23 AM
Nice haul Chako.  I'm digging some of those Navy tools for my keychain.  Are they along the same price lines as the Atwood tools?  Also, nice Alox Soldier  :tu:
SAW

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 03:49:21 AM
Generally they are much cheaper than Atwoods, but they also are les comfortable to use and may not stand up to heavy use.  Ii did a direct comparison about a year ago.  Reasonable for the price, but clearly not an Atwood

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 05:48:39 AM
The Navy tools are cheap and cheerful. An Atwood is anything but cheap...albeit cheerful enough. I myself could never buy an Atwood. These type of tools do little for me and I would have a hard time justifying Atwood prices for myself on a personal level. I guess I am not the target audience for this type of tool. I bought the Navies to see if I could warm up to them. Too soon to tell. :)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Today was a great day...
Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 08:20:43 AM
Wow.  Mind you i agree with you on atwoods dan, just a hair too high for me, but when a collector says the prices are too high to justify it makes me wonder whether the tools are even worth it.   I am certainly not trying to start an atwood debate, just making an observation.

Sent from my myphone using Crapatalk

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Today was a great day...
Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 08:26:59 AM
:sa:

Sent from Ash forum mobile

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 08:53:13 AM
Awesome haul........ :drool:   I HAVE to buy one of those Mushroom Classics.   :ahhh
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 01:14:46 PM
Mercury, it all depends on likes and dislikes. I am not his targeted audience. The only reason I bought the Navies are because they are dirt cheap. I could never justify paying for an Atwood. These tools just don't float my boat at the prices he commands for his excellent work. I am sure I have plenty of tools that some of you guys think I am crazy to buy...because I like them. One piece tools are the same with me. I just don't appreciate them enough to buy them. I am not endorsing people to not buy them. By all means, if you like it, than buy it.

Probably one of the reasons why I rarely go into the one piece MT forum much. I just go Meh with the lot of them. With the Navies, I am going to try and carry them and see if I can change my dislike of the genre. I am thinking of it as a running experiment to see if I am a unjustified in my dislike of them.

By no means am I endorsing people to not buy them, or the top quality Atwoods.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 01:19:24 PM by Chako »

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 09:18:03 PM
Well,

As far as "collectors' go, it's actually pretty hard to go wrong with an Atwood, especially if you can buy directly from Peter.  If you end up with an Atwood you don't really like OR need to sell, they can generally be sold in hours and usually for a significant profit over the original Atwood purchase price.

Holding a tool for a couple years could easily double your money.  In the case of Atwood sharps, the profit is more likely to be three to four times the original purchase price.

I doubt a Navy tool will ever command such a "collectors" return on investment. 

And of course, Peter is a one man shop, so if you're one to favor the "Mom and Pop" shops, he one of a very few toolmakers left.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 09:35:58 PM
Well said.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 09:46:11 PM
Well,

As far as "collectors' go, it's actually pretty hard to go wrong with an Atwood, especially if you can buy directly from Peter.  If you end up with an Atwood you don't really like OR need to sell, they can generally be sold in hours and usually for a significant profit over the original Atwood purchase price.

Holding a tool for a couple years could easily double your money.  In the case of Atwood sharps, the profit is more likely to be three to four times the original purchase price.

And of course, Peter is a one man shop, so if you're one to favor the "Mom and Pop" shops, he one of a very few toolmakers left.

Even if I felt the urge for such a tool and managed to secure a direct link ... I'm not sure I'd want to be a pawn in that game. In fact I'm very sure I don't. There's something about the whole supply intentionally pitched below demand, and the frenetic scrambling for anything that comes up for sale that really is quite nauseating. The tools themselves could be the most wonderful items ever created by human hands for all I know, but the farce surrounding them is too ludicrous for me

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 10:41:44 PM
Well,

Even if I felt the urge for such a tool and managed to secure a direct link ... I'm not sure I'd want to be a pawn in that game. In fact I'm very sure I don't. There's something about the whole supply intentionally pitched below demand, and the frenetic scrambling for anything that comes up for sale that really is quite nauseating. The tools themselves could be the most wonderful items ever created by human hands for all I know, but the farce surrounding them is too ludicrous for me
That kind of bothers me too.  A new Atwood comes out only 250 made and grab them while you can - BTW they are $300 ea!   :o  :ahhh

I can't justify that kind of money on a keychain tool either.
SAW

us Offline Dr.Lipids

Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 04:08:07 AM
Am I missing anything about the Atwoods?  ??? When I looked at them you could get them for about 40 bucks. It seems to be a quality tool that will last longer than some similarly priced MTs like a wingman (excluding the warranty).  And he sells them through his blog first so people who appreciate the work and design can get them first.  At least he doesn't sell out and let a big company produce his designs.  The price seems right for what they are. Custom knives go for far more.

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Today was a great day...
Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 05:27:13 AM
Thanks to you Chako I order a web wingman. I've held the wingman a few times and hated it but that darn design got me. :rant:

Sent from Ash forum mobile

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 01:41:01 PM
You will like it Ashley.

I did some digging and found out that the above militiary set is the middle 2009 set...and not the first 2008 set. Cool.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40