Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Where is your preferred clip location on the Spirit?

Poll

A: file's side
B: main blade's side
C: scissors' side
D: saw's side
I own a Spirit but prefer to go without any clip.
I haven't decided yet / I don't own a Spirit / I am left-handed / etc.

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
I dont think that many Spirit owners bought and tried a pocket clip or plan to install one. In case you got one and want to install it, four installation locations are possible and a clear decision has to be taken!

Planning to carry the tool in the left front trouser pocket I was first wondering whether it makes a difference during carry if the clip is at the extreme left at the pocket brim or if the clip is sticked on the adjacent (=right) handle of the multitool. Then i thought that a maybe more important question is at which location would the clip bother the least during work:

In the unfolded position it should feel comfortable when i exert manual pressure on the pliers. For this i could flip the unfolded pliers in my hand and choose the grip whichever feels better in my hand (and doesnt hurt/cut because of the edges of the clip), which reduces the possible locations from 4 to 2 because of a certain 'symmetry': A vs D are 'symmetrical', and B vs C are 'symmetrical'. However, in the closed position the Spirit should feel comfortable in my right hand too when i work with my main tool (e.g. the butter blade).

With a dummy clip i tested all 4 locations both in closed and unfolded position and might have come to a conclusion. The decision or preference will also depend on whether the user is right-handed or left-handed. The below youtube user seems to have based his decision simply on the location of his main blade, which is an interesting practical criterion too:

What were your considerations, or where have you installed the clip, A, B, C or D?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 03:53:04 PM by kreisler »

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Re: Where is your preferred clip location on the Spirit?
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 04:41:26 PM
I don't have scissors on mine  :)  Well, not on the one I carry every day.  Still my analysis pointed to what I believe maps to "C" on your diagram. 

I considered blade and saw use, figgering the filing is more flexible in position and hold.  Of course I have two blades so... well I found out it does not really matter that much.  Another  criteria I used... don't cover the Victorinox logo if I don't need too.  :)

Now I don't have the clip on my EDC one, but that may change.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 06:49:55 PM
I have considered it but didn't want to spoil the lines and ergonomics so I went for no clip

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline radiotecha1234

Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 11:12:05 PM
Uh, correct answer is c. Well, for me anyway.
uploadfromtaptalk1339967476629.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1339967476629.jpg (Filesize: 9.1 KB)

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 10:35:42 PM
I chose A: file's side.

It's the most comfortable position when you use the main blade (butter blade) or the saw. Very comfortable. And in the opened position (=deployed pliers), it feels okay too. The simplest method to test what feels comfortable or not, do the following:

1. tape the handles with Scotch transparent adhesive film
2. chew chewing gum. some chewing gum products are nastily sticky, e.g. when you play with the chewed gum between your fingers. sticks to your dry fingers. that's the one we need.
3. use half of the gum and stick & extend it, for example, on "A".
4. take the Nite Ize clip and stick it on A on top of the gum, without removing the red plastic film from the clip.
5. test if the clip feels comfortable (Spirit pliers closed, Spirit pliers opened)
6. etc.

I bought my copy from DX.com:
ordered: 2012-06-02
dispatched: 2012-06-05
post stamped: 2012-06-08
received: 2012-06-27 (destination country: Germany)

There were lots of stickers on the envelope and on the retail package. I transferred all stickers onto my printed invoice as always  :whistle:

The clip fits exactly (100% perfectly!!) on the handle of the Spirit, the red rectangular base is not even 1mm too long or too short in any direction. For sure it does not protrude in any direction, if you position it 100.0% exactly on its location on the handle. The below scan is the best i could do to provide proof of the exact fit. On the picture it looks as if the clip was attached a little too high. That's not true, the picture's 3D-perspective causes this untrue perception:

I can highly recommend the clip. Even though i "use" my Spirit as shelf queen only and therefore wouldnt need any pocket clip, i found this Nite Ize product so beautifully crafted (feels high quality, sturdy, matching) that i am thinking that once attached (i did it!!) it increases the overall value and beauty of the Spirit product. The clip also increases the grip, the Spirit becomes less slippery.

Nice stuff, thanks Nite Ize, congrats to the very successful clip!!

( you can click on the pictures to enlarge! )

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 03:20:05 AM

Sent from Ash forum mobile

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 10:55:59 AM
Hi Ashley, thanks for sharing the picture of yours with the Nite Ize clip! Hmm.. it's difficult to tell if your clip is attached to B or C:ahhh

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 02:46:12 AM
C :hatsoff:

Sent from Ash forum mobile

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 02:43:46 PM
I prefer mine without.I think a clip would spoil its thin smooth profile.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 02:50:16 PM
It's a no clip for me too.

I like the P7 for hanging things like SAKs in my pocket, but for anything bigger than a Juice I don't want it clipped on anything really. It's an ergonomic thing for me too - no point in making the thing uncomfortable to use!
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 04:23:34 PM
I guess mine is on the SE blade. No scissors so it wasn't an issue of ergonomics. It's the Clipdraw.

Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 04:55:56 PM
Thanks for your votes (see the poll on top of the OP)! Interesting results so far: people who attached the clip would do so on either side A, B, C, or D. For our records, i dont regret having attached the clip to a brand-new Spirit a bit. My choice, A, was the right one too. the unfolded pliers feel ergonomic in the right hand when my pointer and middle finger touch the clip. it's like 'a grip' of an ergonomically formed handle. really happy with the quality of the clip and its location on the Spirit. and the clip works excellent, of course (jeans trousers). easily replaces the pouch/sheath. and even works with my WORKZONE (Ganzo-made) sheath, it clips to the brim without actual locking to the brim. i can still close the snap closure, phew!

(click to enlarge!)

Removal of the clip goes rather harmless:

Wow, almost looks like i am advertising this product. I should ask Miltner for a commission!! LOL
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 05:10:41 PM by kreisler »

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 11:21:12 AM
Revisiting this thread after 1 year. Hmm.. not too many votes in the poll! What's up with that? :D

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 12:55:28 PM
Revisiting this thread after 1 year. Hmm.. not too many votes in the poll! What's up with that? :D
Not many people have had the chance to test it out, maybe?

Offline Theron

Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 05:54:56 PM

This.

I EDC mine in the belt sheath or in my bag.  A clip looks wrong on the Spirit.

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 11:11:05 PM
Not many people have had the chance to test it out, maybe?
DX is out of stock, NiteIze does not produce it anymore (license lost). And the licensor seems out of production too. It's such a wonderful clip, the most perfect clip imho for the Spirit, size, width, quality, etc. everything perfect, fits exactly. I think it's too bad that other Spirit users cannot rebuy it because i can highly recommend it without exaggeration.

I usually keep my blinky tools clean and unmodded too (e.g. expensive flashlights, titanium stuff) but in this case it was the right decision and i would do it again. Looks good too, same metal color.

I havent been here on the forum .. but i do use my Spirit for small jobs whenever i can. I am incredibly pleased by the product. And the clip works great to secure the tool during carry in a pocket (pants, trousers, jacket). Terrific stuff, both the Spirit and the NiteIze clip. Top match.

All right, i am heading back to my usual forums .. on flashlights!!  :salute:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 07:19:53 AM

This.

I EDC mine in the belt sheath or in my bag.  A clip looks wrong on the Spirit.

I agree with both of these statements.  I don't belt sheath carry mine, but I feel a pocket clip would ruin the Spirit's good looks.  It's too smooth and polished to have a clip messing with it's beauty :P
K-Tibbs

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #17 on: June 24, 2019, 02:16:21 PM
A few years ago i had tried to mirror polish the Spirit scales. I'm not really experienced with mirror polishing, so the result was more of a fail never mind. of course i had to detach the pocket clip. since then i didn't attach it back on.

until now.

this time I'm choosing

B: main blade's side

we'll see how it goes in the long run. yesterday i sharpened the straight blade without pocket clip. went all right.

us Offline Archibald Tuttle

Reply #18 on: June 24, 2019, 05:18:04 PM
I went with saw side, use the NiteIze HipClip, and carry in my right hand pocket.But use a paracord pocket clip,to extend the tool further into the pocket and keep it from scratching delicate surfaces I work around.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 05:48:02 PM
Glad you've got your Spirit the way you like it.   :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

Offline nostromo

Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 08:31:28 PM
I was thinking of putting a Nite Ize Hipclip on my Swisstool X and I was wondering, did anyone else here try it? If so, could you post some pics of a Swisstool (not Spirit) with the clip installed? Thanks in advance.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: June 25, 2019, 03:14:31 PM
I could not adopt to any clip on the handles for me personally.
I like the following carrying method... or simply into the 5th pocket  :hatsoff:
resize-482.jpg
* resize-482.jpg (Filesize: 266.32 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21