Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spyderco to compliment my EDC Wave?

ca Offline gcconspiracy

on: June 21, 2012, 12:12:10 AM
Not sure if I need another knife (okay, I'm positive I don't!), but I have my eye on a small spyderco dedicated folder to compliment my Wave in EDC tasks.

The two I'm seriously looking at are the Delica 4 FFG in FRN, and the Dragonfly 2 in FRN. I am looking at these two models in particular due to their size and weight (the Wave is big enough as it is, I don't want more bulk). Also, the VG-10 looks like it might be a nice upgrade from the 420HC on the Wave. I really like the Delica, but right now I am leaning towards the Dragonfly due to it being another step down in size and weight.

Any thoughts on either of those knives? Any thoughts on other knives? Anyone think I should just EDC the Wave on its own? Any feedback is much appreciated!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: Spyderco to compliment my EDC Wave?
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 01:09:30 AM
I've owned both, and still own the Dragonfly.  Great little knife.  :tu:  The blade size is perfect for what I need most of the time, and it's light enough that you really don't notice it clipped to your pocket.  Another possibility is the Kershaw Scallion.  It adds assisted opening to the mix, and really isn't much bigger than the Dragonfly.

The Kershaw is probably my favorite EDC folder.  It's just a great, solid knife.  Nothing against the Dragonfly, I think it's great too.  But the Kershaw fits my hand a bit better.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 01:44:15 AM
I Like having a knife on it's own regardless what other tool(s) I have on me.

It's more useful :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 01:50:36 AM
I Like having a knife on it's own regardless what other tool(s) I have on me.

It's more useful :)

Yep, I'm the same way.  My MT blades see hardly any use.  The Dragonfly, Scallion, a slipjoint....they all see a ton of use.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 07:11:45 AM
I think the dragonfly is too dinky for work duty, if you are looking for a knife to do knife stuff with the delica is the smallest I would go.

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 08:12:18 AM
Okay, so one vote for Dragonfly/Scallion, and one vote for Delica... I'm really not sure what to think now! Anyone else?

gb Offline sysbox27

Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 11:09:38 AM

Agree sometimes it is nice to just have a blade by itself instead of the multitool's blade - I guess depends what and how you like to carry.

I'm thinking of getting the spyderco squeak in the near future. Yes I know it won't suit all here, but for my needs it seems handy - decent enough blade for my daily urban tasks, small enough to just slip into any pocket and complies with UK laws.

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 12:56:13 PM
I think that having a dedicated knife, while slightly bulkier, is a good idea. I have yet to find a blade on an MT that impressed me - Too thin, too short, and usually crappy steel and/or heat treat.

I have replaced the blade on my SOG Power Lock with wire strippers and carry a Spyderco Manix 2 for cutting tasks. Being able to deploy the blade one handed, even with my off hand while wearing gloves, is a great bonus. I never seem to think ahead to open the knife and have it within reach when performing tasks. And a fixed blade would be just a bit over the top... :)

Dave

Sent from my iPad2
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 05:32:52 PM
Spidie Delica Wave , or Dragonfly - nuff said . Multi's basically suck as knives ! Ergos , blade shape etc are usually wrong , or else implement density goes out the window .

Chris

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 11:06:33 PM
BIG fan of the Manix and Manix 2, very great ergo and sturdy leaf shaped blade.

The Sage is also a great series and comes in a lot of flavours.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:09:41 PM by Metropolicity »
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 11:43:28 PM
A stainless steel dragon fly would look awful good with a wave and will handel a lot of big knife Jobs for such a small blade.

If you think you will need your knife for large tasks often the Delica may be the way to go.

The Delica also is available with stainless steel handles and would look just as good but it's a bit heavy.

Don't forget about the Endura I carry one just about everyday. Great knife but to big for some 4 inch blade.
Defend the Hive!!!

se Offline kinskibrain

Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 12:13:32 AM
I've owned a Caly 3 and an Endura but sold them. The Skeletool, in my opinion, actually works well enough as an EDC knife that I found myself never ever carrying the Spyderco.

These days, if I carry a dedicated knife it's not a folding knife. Its either a Mora Classic 2 or a Fallkniven WM1. If you are going to take an extra knife it might as well be a sheath knife.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 01:56:34 AM
I wouldn't sell the Dragonfly 2 short... I've had one for almost a year and it's a fantastic little knife.  Its blade is a full 2.5 mm thick, same as on the Delica and Endura, so it can handle heavy cutting tasks... the only difference is the length of the blade.  Mine makes short work of boxes, milk jugs, etc., and literally everything I've ever thrown at it. It whittles, carves, and so much more.  It's also extremely light and if you take the pocket clip off, you can put a split ring in the lanyard hole and make it into a neck knife even.  There's not much it can't do.

As great a little knife as it is, I don't carry it anymore, as 99% of the EDC cutting jobs I do are handled by a SAK, and I always have my Exec or my Compact with me, and I prefer having the scissors and other extras of the SAK.  For me, when I have need to carry a dedicated folder, it's always for jobs where I need a longer blade, so my Stretch 2 usually gets the nod in those situations.  For camping, and varied utility work, my Endura 4 is my folder of choice.

I actually gave the DF2 to my wife for her backpacking gear, and she loves it.  I practically had to pull the Robin 2 I gave her last summer out of the trash after I gave her the DF2.

One thing to keep in mind, if you do end up going with a Dragonfly, make sure you get the newer "2" model, it's much improved over the original.

In short, I'd say you should consider your needs in terms of blade length, not strength.  If a 2" blade will do you, a DF2 will be fine.  If you're going to need more blade than that, move up to a Delica or an Endura.  I prefer the Stretch 2 to either for EDC though, as it has far superior ergos, and has a choil allowing you to choke up on the blade for fine cutting tasks, and more belly for things like food prep and the like.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 05:21:15 AM
Thanks Heinz, that is some awesome info! I just sent you a PM with some other questions.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 11:35:12 PM
I'm a Endura/Delica fan!! :tu:

The perfect GP/Tacticool folder! :tu:

And their price range is perfect for EDC!! :gimme:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 11:47:21 PM by BIG-TARGET »
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 08:53:16 AM
Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone! I am still doing some research and whatnot, but it looks like it might be a while before I can swing a new knife purchase. Anyways, when I get my first Spyderco, I will certainly post pics/thoughts/etc!

de Offline Jmora

Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 11:25:47 AM
I haven't got much to add as regards practicality/utility already discussed here, I personally really like the look of the g10 dragonfly, or carbon fibre chaparral  :drool:. you might not feel so comfortable using such pretty knives really hard though. 

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 09:34:06 AM
Hey GC... I've got an FRN Robin 2 I'll consider trading you if you have anything you want to offer up.

I have to give you second shot at it though, as I've suggested it as part of a trade with Lynn.  If she doesn't want it, I'll let you know, and you can make me an offer.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 04:32:48 PM
Hey GC... I've got an FRN Robin 2 I'll consider trading you if you have anything you want to offer up.

I have to give you second shot at it though, as I've suggested it as part of a trade with Lynn.  If she doesn't want it, I'll let you know, and you can make me an offer.

Heintz,

Thanks a lot for the offer, I'll definitely be giving it some serious thought! PM me if the Robin doesn't go to Lynn.

-GCC

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 06:08:22 PM
Sad to say it's headed my way.

gc, I don't know if you care but I have a Delica I I've been trying to sell. Check out the thread here...
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,37857.0.html

ca Offline gcconspiracy

Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 09:51:19 PM
No worries Lynn, I've been thinking about this a lot, and I'm 99% certain that I want to hold out for a Delica 4 FFG. But I appreciate the link!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%