Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Variations on a theme. SOG powerlock

us Offline mkianni

Variations on a theme. SOG powerlock
on: June 28, 2012, 03:11:43 AM
Hello. I'm new around here, so I hope that my topic hasn't already been covered. If it has, my sincerest apologies.

Anyway, I just wanted to share some pics of some variations that I've found in the same multi tool that I think are worth mentioning. I'm kind of a big fan of collecting variations. Who knows, one may end up being extremely rare someday.

I've come to find three different variations on my SOG powerlock tools. (pat 5809599) We've got one that says SOG USA, one just says SOG, and one that says SOG four times in a circular pattern. These are all the same tool. There are some differences in the sheaths as well.

Check your powerlock if you own one, and see what yours says. I'd be interested to know if there are others out there that I haven't come across yet.

Cheers!  :cheers:

001.JPG
* 001.JPG (Filesize: 130.1 KB)
002.JPG
* 002.JPG (Filesize: 150.97 KB)
003.JPG
* 003.JPG (Filesize: 145.02 KB)
004.JPG
* 004.JPG (Filesize: 167.66 KB)

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Re: Variations on a theme. SOG powerlock
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 03:12:07 AM
mkianni,

Welcome aboard and thanks for posting the comparison photos.  Here is a photo of my SOG S60 PowerLock bearing the Master Mechanic name on the handles.  I bought it in a True Value hardware store a few years ago.  The pliers are stamped SOG USA.

Not shown are the handle covers which I removed almost immediately.   :D

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline mkianni

Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 07:44:55 AM
Nice!
I had one a few years back (2008), but I can't remember the name of the hardware store. It might have been ACE. They were having a going out of business sale in Elm City NC. One of the things I bought on sale was a SOG with the store name on it.

First mistake I made was opening the package, not realizing it's value as is. I ended up trading the tool to a friend for a Buck 501 w/stag scales.

That package had a quarter inch of dust on it. It was probably hanging in that store since the mid 90s!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 08:56:17 AM
Ive this one coming next week from Kirk on here, not sure but i think its got the Sog-USA type stamp like on my ppp, im looking forward to using this one at work as ive got about 6 weeks left on my handyman job and although the ppp has been very handy i would prefer the locking tools and gear covers that the powerlock has, i slighlty smurphed my wirecutters yesterday trying to cut through a thick screw  :-\ my bad as i did have cutters in my bag, the compound leverage does make you feel like you can cut everything in sight  :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 02:40:55 AM
Good comparison there mkianni :salute: The one that just says only "SOG" is the newest version. Notice the bigger wire cutter area and the pointier jaw tips? This was the 2.0 version plier head, as SOG called it. It was brought out on the fly back in 2007, along with the gear covers and the individual finger "piano locks".  :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline mkianni

Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 10:13:44 PM
I see. So there is some method to the madness. I figured it may of had something to do with individual production runs.
Although I still don't understand the absence of the USA stamp on two of the three tools that I own. Have the newer models been outsourced? I bought them without the original packaging, so if that info was on the packaging itself I didn't get to see it.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 01:27:16 PM
I'm pretty certain that SOG has crossed over into the Assembled in USA of Foreign and Domestic Components realm. ::) and that the plier heads are now made in Taiwan. :-\  (not 100% certain of this mind you, but that's my educated guess)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 04:07:22 PM
Wasn't the revitalized Micro Tool Clip entirely made in Taiwan?  The PowerDuo is marked Made in China on their website.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 02:38:48 AM
PowerDuo is from China as well? That doesn't surprise me, but I had not been aware of it. Thanks for the info. :salute:

As regards the (new) Micro ToolClip, nope, it was made in China too. :-\

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 09:13:56 AM
Here is mine, just sog on pliers and leather powerplay pouch with compartment for bit adapter  :tu:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 03:23:41 PM
If anyone is interested , an eBay seller is offering what they claim is a "First Production SOG PowerLock Vintage Rare Multi Tool Pliers Knife "  and:

"This item features the following locking tool components:
- 3" 1/2 Serrated Blade
- DEDICATED long-medium screwdriver*
- 1/4" Drive
- Scissors

- 3-Sided File
- DEDICATED small screwdriver*
- Phillips #1 Screwdriver
- DEDICATED large screwdriver*
- DEDICATED can/bottle opener*
- Wood Saw

*these dedicated tool components are from first production and no longer produced by SOG. The newer tools use sub-par combination opener/screwdriver components. "

The above doesn't mean much to me, but if it interests anyone here the eBay Item number is 170917773149
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 03:17:22 PM
If anyone is interested , an eBay seller is offering what they claim is a "First Production SOG PowerLock Vintage Rare Multi Tool Pliers Knife "  and:

"This item features the following locking tool components:
- DEDICATED long-medium screwdriver*
- DEDICATED small screwdriver*
- DEDICATED large screwdriver*

Thanks for posting that.  The ebay photos show that Powerlock does not have a hard wire cutter like later versions.

I bought a used Pocket Power Pliers and it has the same dedicated, straight screwdrivers.  They work better for me than the combo tools.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%