Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The one Victorinox SAK part I'm underwhelmed with...

KTesh · 19 · 6712

tw Offline KTesh

• We4ishe2me pu3to1nghua4 bi3 yi1ngyu3 ge4ng na2n?
on: January 10, 2013, 09:32:44 AM
Today I got my new "Plus" scales along with an authentic Victorinox straight pin.  I've got two knives, and one of them has a pin that I found on the floor of a department store's changing room.  Now I wish I would have been able to find several more.

Mine is the upper pin, Victorinox's is the lower pin.

The found pin is sharper, thicker, and has more magnetic properties* than the authentic part.  Why is this important?  In the event I need to improvise a compass, magnetic properties are important.  The real advantage is that when pulled out, the found pin likes to stick to the knife if it's dropped, or a magnet can be used to find it.  The Victorinox product refused to budge in the presence of the knife, and required much closer passes with the magnet to pick it up.

My Pin vs Victorinox's Pin...  (Mine's Magnetic)

My conclusion...  I wouldn't begrudge it as a gift (or part of your OEM package), but I'd suggest that you go somewhere and try on a nice shirt rather than shell out $.50USD each for authentic replacements.   

*in experiments the authentic pin was attracted to my rare earth magnet only from a distance of an inch, my found pin leapt to the magnet from over 4 inches.  This was after my attempt to magnetize the authentic pin by rubbing it on the magnet.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 10:08:10 AM by KTesh »
If you can't fix it with duct tape, a hammer, a screwdriver, bailing wire, zipties, or a Swiss Army Knife, it's broken and irreparable.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: The one Victorinox SAK part I'm underwhelmed with...
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 09:38:43 AM
I fit pins with a plastic, coloured head (i.e. red), because they look nicer. :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

tw Offline KTesh

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 10:05:27 AM
I fit pins with a plastic, coloured head (i.e. red), because they look nicer. :D

They also can be easier to find when dropped, but who really looks at my straight pin, unless I'm showing it to them?
If you can't fix it with duct tape, a hammer, a screwdriver, bailing wire, zipties, or a Swiss Army Knife, it's broken and irreparable.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 10:21:16 AM

They also can be easier to find when dropped, but who really looks at my straight pin, unless I'm showing it to them?

multitool.org members will allways notice!   :hatsoff:  :D :D

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 02:55:48 PM
Maybe the authentic pin is less magnetic due to heat treatment? That would make it a "feature" and not a "bug"... ;)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 03:30:55 PM
I always thought it as a standard plain vanilla pin. I lost my Swisschamp's pin ages ago and replaced with one from my wife's sewing kit without much thought. I'll try one with a nice head now.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 05:12:52 PM
Or just replace it with a proper sewing needle which fits, then you have another useful tool :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

de Offline crackout

Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 05:21:51 PM
Maybe the authentic pin is less magnetic due to heat treatment? That would make it a "feature" and not a "bug"... ;)

If this is case, then you can rebuild the permanent magnetic moment by using a strong magnet on the little fellow. ;)
Say my name.

ca Offline Landrew

• Not yer typical toothless abductee
Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 05:24:49 PM
I don't know if my original Scientist had the pin or not, but if I had known about it, I would have used it for sure during all those 20 years when I carried it every day.  I'm still upset about losing it.

ca Offline Landrew

Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 05:32:17 PM
Or just replace it with a proper sewing needle which fits, then you have another useful tool :)
I had a sewing needle in the Card Logic card tool I got for Christmas a few years ago. I installed a piece of thread in the needle, and wrapped it around the little spindle provided.  Found it totally useless when I tried to use it, due to it snagging and tangling when I tried to extract it from the card.  Better to use one of the little sewing kits they give you in hotels.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 05:33:49 PM
Also note that some SAKs, like the explorer, have the pin hole, even though no pin is included!
So you can add it yourself.

tw Offline KTesh

Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 07:35:35 PM
I don't know if my original Scientist had the pin or not, but if I had known about it, I would have used it for sure during all those 20 years when I carried it every day.  I'm still upset about losing it.

I presume you mean you lost the knife, not the pin.  I can feel ya there...   I've had 2 SAK's stolen, and lost another 4 (not including the two classics, which are too damn small to be useful for me)

Also note that some SAKs, like the explorer, have the pin hole, even though no pin is included!
So you can add it yourself.

If you haven't guessed it yet...  I love the Ranger Model...  None of mine ever had the pin included.  I didn't learn about the pin hole until less than a year ago.  I immediately tracked down a nice pin for it, and have used it ever since.  I even posted a series of photos on Flickr to expose this oft forgot-about tool.

The Secret Tool of the Swiss Army Knife

If you have a knife like an original Scientist, and it doesn't have a pin in it, it probably never had one.  In my research, I've found that the knives that include the pin are few and far between, and when you look at a "what's included" list, the ones that have them are clearly listed.

My pin has never come loose, or fallen out, except when I removed the scale, unlike the number of toothpicks and tweezers over the years (including another toothpick a few weeks ago). I did notice last night as I was playing with the "Plus" scales that the Authentic Victorinox Part (AVP) flexed a little in it's slot, which would hold it in place a little better than if it was completely uniform width slot.  The photo below might show the "flex", I can't tell with this resolution.

I'll see if I can get a crystal-clear photo of it later today.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:55:40 PM by KTesh »

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 07:56:20 PM
WOW this thread has 'spooked me out'  :o :o :o
only this morning i was thinking of SHARING the fact i had up-graded my pin (in my swisschamp) to one with a large plastic head ! it's so much easier to spot when dropped and more obvious that it's missing if you look at the tool  :facepalm:
and larger head looks like it would be less likely to work its way free in your pocket  :o

p.s mine is BLUE btw (only cos that was the first to come to hand )

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 08:17:23 PM
That kind of coincidence is not unusual here... idiots seldom differ

Umm... greats minds think alike :cheers:

:D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 10:33:32 AM
I always thought it as a standard plain vanilla pin. I lost my Swisschamp's pin ages ago and replaced with one from my wife's sewing kit without much thought. I'll try one with a nice head now.

Aha! You gave me an idea. Looked in the small sewing kit I bought a few years ago, and sure enough there were two straight pins there. Magnetized one and stuck it in my Climber. 

It will do til I find a longer one. :tu:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 10:37:16 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Thisjk38

Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 11:35:59 AM
This thread inspired me to look and I just noticed that my Sliver Tech Climber has a pin hole as well. Very cool feature. Thanks for the inspiration.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 12:09:21 PM
Is strange, SAK Wiki does not mention the pin as an accessory on the Climber, neither does Victorinox. Yet, there it is!
DSC01864.JPG
* DSC01864.JPG (Filesize: 118.03 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

ca Offline Landrew

Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 06:06:26 PM
Is strange, SAK Wiki does not mention the pin as an accessory on the Climber, neither does Victorinox. Yet, there it is!
Very easy to miss if you don't know it's there, by anyone.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 06:32:41 PM
My understanding is that all new, hollow, 91 mm Cellidor scales come with the pin hole, including the non Plus scales. Before that only Plus scales had the pin hole since it was introduced. Even the special scales (Webenmuster, Road Tour Climber, Don't thread on me, Bavaria Spartan, etc) that I have they all have the pin hole in there. Knowing about it I always put a pin in there if it was a SAK that I was thinking to EDC (same as the small screwdriver in the corkscrew, for the coskscrew models).

:cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD