Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spyderco Sharpmaker

J-sews · 15 · 3975

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Spyderco Sharpmaker
on: November 23, 2006, 03:29:03 AM
I seem to often be reading comments of praise about the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

Who has one of these things, and what is so great about them?  ???
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Re: Spyderco Sharpmaker
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 07:54:40 AM
That's kind of funny.  I was just thinking about the Sharpmaker today.  I'm trying to decide between it and the Lansky Deluxe system.

So, I'm kind of curious about the answer to this too!
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 02:40:24 PM
#1. Down and Dirty - sharpen everything - get a Spyderco Sharpmaker - they are great for keeping sharp knives sharp than really working on dull ones.

Even better yet look at the following and see how easy it is to get a professional edge on a blade......

#2 DIY with paper wheels !!! Buy a bench grinder at a garage sale  ( if the grinder has a removable base, and most do, you can remove it and turn it around so the switch is on the front side ) + a buy set of paper wheels for $37. That and a SharpMaker you'll have everything you need to sharpen anything and keep them sharp.

#3 Buy Steve's book Chapters 1, 2 and 3 were printed in the June and July 1999 issues of Knife World as A PRIMER ON KNIFE SHARPENING.

#4 Read the articles / chapters / links  on Steve's site there is a lot og FREE and useful info here

I am in no way connected with any of the above referenced site, books or hardware - just a very happy " now professional " knife sharpener thanx to Spyderco and Steve's book AND paper wheels. I can't say enough good things about how easy it is to sharpen with the paper wheels, they are amazing !!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 02:54:24 PM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:50:29 AM
Thanks!
Boy, there is a lot of info there to digest. (I've never even HEARD of paper wheels before.)

I haven't found it yet, is there some info about the Sharpmaker?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 05:12:03 AM
I haven't found it yet, is there some info about the Sharpmaker?

Sharpmaker Homepage information
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 06:49:02 PM
I'm a fan of the Sharpmakers , have used one since about 82 , follow the directions and you get a good result . I heartily endorse the product ! I have a lansky , an edgepro , japanese water stones etc , all have their place - the Sharpmaker is the default setting .

Chris

BTW this is my maiden post !!

Offline joebw

Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 12:38:44 AM
Hi Bob,

I've used a sharpmaker before they came with instructions.  It is my choice fore anything with a 6" or smaller blade.  Coarse stones to set the angle and fine to hone.  Corners for serrated blades.

I learned to sharpen with an oils stone.  This makes the job easy.

Joe

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 04:19:04 AM
Thanks guys, those are certainly ringing endorsements. I now know what I'll be asking for for Chri.....Non-Denominational Gift Giving Season.

(Welcome aboard Styerman!)

~Bob

us Offline mpgt

Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 03:23:44 PM
Wow this is an old thread. I love the SM. Once a blade has a decent 30 deg edge on it, I can have it hair whittling sharp (honed) in a few seconds on the SM. A 40 deg micro bevel. I like my edges super sharp. Why not, if you’re carrying a blade?

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 08:54:19 PM
This thread makes me think I need to get mine ot this week and sharpen some knives :tu:

Thanks for the necro bump of this old thread mpgt :tu: :like: love seeing the avatars of some of these members from back then :cheers: these are some of the guys here from when I first joined :dd:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 10:45:01 PM
My sharpmaker is just about all I use aside from a leather strop. It has yet to meet a blade that it could not put a razor’s edge on with the aftermarket ultra-fine stones.

de Offline Shuya

Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 02:04:49 PM
Have one, too since maybe 15 years, but it sees no usage anymore.

Was a sharpness freak once I entered the world of quality knifes. Waterstones, leatherstrop and stuff.

These days I am kind of a lazy fart, only use a Falkniven DC4 and a Vic Diamond sharpener for everything. Get my knifes shaving sharp with both, no need for a polished edge anymore.

Got one of those in every pack in case of sharpening, 2mins and I am ready to go again.

PS: wow, sort of gravedigging in here  :clap:

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 11:21:05 PM
I don't recall how many years I've had my Sharpmaker, but I'm as happy with it now as when I first got it.  I went thru a lot of sharpeners, and they eventually lost favor for something better, until I got the Sharpmaker.  One thing about them, you don't really need a lot of skill to use it.
- Steve

us Offline mpgt

Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 11:29:23 PM
That's true. They are inexpensive, easy to set up and use...and very capable of producing a razor sharp edge.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 02:17:04 AM
there is a lot of boring stuff in this, but you can fast forward

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30