Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I got a request for fixed blade pics

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I got a request for fixed blade pics
on: February 21, 2008, 04:01:02 PM
So here are a few.  I have others, like a Becker Necker that I use a fair bit, but here are the ones that were specifically asked for by whoever it was that asked for them! :P

My beloved Grohmann, which was always one of my favorite knives, and now is even better because this one was given to me by my friends here at Multitool.org!  Nice pic of the new Multitool.org shirt too! :D  Knife not included with shirt purchase...  :pok:

My Grohmann with my dirty little secret knife, and testament to my earlier life as a tactical ninja type, an 80's era Cold Steel Master Tanto in San Mai III.  Note the brass guard and pommel which were available in the 80's but were substituted for stainless steel in later models.  I had one of these years ago, but it was lost- long story.  When this one became available I grabbed it instantly as they are usually hard to find.  It had been stored for years in it's leather sheath and needed lots of cleaning when I got it.  In fact, I think there's even a picture of some of the grime left on the spine of the blade on SOSAKOnline: http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=127&Itemid=35  It has since been cleaned off as well...

This is the last of my "valuable" knives.  It's worth a few hundred dollars at the moment, but it's worth infinitely more to me.  In 1964 Puma started putting serial numbers on their blades.  This one was made before that, but it was around that time that my father bought it.  He was around 16 at the time.  My uncle found and "borrowed" it for about 40 years while my father was away, traipsing around the world with the military.  My uncle was never great for maintaining things, and so this knife was used for all kinds of things like general utility and cleaning animals.  My guess is that it was stuck back in it's leather sheath with little or no cleaning.  My father got it back when he retired and moved back home, and he passed it on to me when I gave him my first Grohmann.  The pictured one is my third, and this one isn't going anywhere either... at least not till I can get my kayak wet again!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: I got a request for fixed blade pics
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 05:05:02 PM
Great pics Def.  Thanks for sharing.  :)

I wonder who it was that asked for those? :think: :P
I'm back!!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 07:06:04 PM
How well does it work in practice? I want one but don't really want to shell out $70 for something made of 440a equivelent (said so on grohman website).

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 07:27:00 PM
Cold steel do a few a version for about $15 if you just want to get a feel for it :)

Great shots of the Puma mate, thats a keeper if ever there was one :drool:, don't they do a modern rendition called the white hunter ???
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 07:29:04 PM
There are some pics and a few thoughts about the Cold Steel version here http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,3835.0.html
I'm back!!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 02:01:35 AM
Cold steel do a few a version for about $15 if you just want to get a feel for it :)

Can't find one locally, buy from anywhere else shipping is gona cost more than knife.  :(

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 03:04:26 AM
The Grohmann is a beauty- if you want a cheaper option, there is a kit version available as well.  All told you could put it together in two hours, tops, with a few hand tools.

The Puma actually is a White Hunter.  I'll try to post a few pics of the surviving markings on it tomorrow, and maybe also some of the reasons why I don't care for stag!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 08:35:19 AM
The Grohmann is a beauty- if you want a cheaper option, there is a kit version available as well.  All told you could put it together in two hours, tops, with a few hand tools.

The Puma actually is a White Hunter.  I'll try to post a few pics of the surviving markings on it tomorrow, and maybe also some of the reasons why I don't care for stag!

Def
I'll look forward to it mate :)

I'm not a big fan of stag either (unless its sanbar) it can be far to brittle, and if it's not shaped properly, bloody uncomfortable too ::)

It does look the part though :D

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 08:57:40 AM
Blech.

JCB pics please.

Are those canuck belt knives as handi-a-utility knife as the rumours (mostly, I suspect, started by Def anyway) suggest?

(I use a Mora pattern knife, so compared to that...)

Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 09:01:43 AM
Compared to a Mora (of which I am a fan), it cuts, and slices better due to the curved profile, it's a lot stronger and holds it's edge a lot better too :)

Here's a pretty good review of a Grohmann against a Mora 2K...

http://outdoors-magazine.com/spip.php?article152

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 12:48:37 PM
Blech.

JCB pics please.

Are those canuck belt knives as handi-a-utility knife as the rumours (mostly, I suspect, started by Def anyway) suggest?

(I use a Mora pattern knife, so compared to that...)

I think so.  I use mine quite a lot and I am very impressed.
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 04:47:34 PM
Since I am somewhat biased towards my Home and Native Land, I won't comment on the usefulness of the Grohmann!  :P

Here is the tang stamp (or what's left of it) on the Puma:

Here is what's left of the label on the choil:

As you can see, the tang stamp seems to have survived for the most part, but not without it's share of scars.  The Marking on the choil, which reads "For The White Hunter" is something that likely would never be printed on a knife these days! :D

Modern Pumas, in addition to the serial number, also have a small dent in them where each and every knife off the line was individually tested for Rockwell hardness, as opposed to the batch testing done on most other knives.  That practice came into being long after this one was produced though!

As with many older blades, the high carbon steel on this one takes a wicked edge and holds it better than just about anything else.  Unfortunately, corrosion takes it's toll on blades like these, especially when not cleaned and oiled regularly.  Oh yeah, and this thing is HEAVY!

The stag handle also shows signs of poor aging:

This is a nasty chip in the handle, and you can see where the various layers of stag have flaked away.  Of course given the age of the knife, there is no question of the authenticity of the stag itself- in the days this knife was made, fake stag would cost many times what the real stuff did, and would have looked like crap!

Another problem with stag is it's tendency to shrink:

I've been told that stag has to be constantly oiled to maintain it's density, but as you can see from this knife, that hasn't been done.  Given how brittle the stag is now, it would only be a matter of time before that corner chipped off during regular use, which is another reason this old beauty has been lovingly retired. 

Of course, that alone wouldn't take it out of the range of a functional knife.  In fact, there is no reason why this knife couldn't be pressed back into service at any time.  Given the shape of the stag, I'd probably wrap the handle in some kind of grip tape like hockey tape or drummer tape and it would be good to go. 

The razor sharp edge on this knife and exceptional edge holding ability in my opinion is the best reason why the "steel race" is completely full of crap.  This thing could chop through a 747 and still be smiling on the other side!

Def

Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 07:21:18 PM
Despite it's scar's that still is a gorgeous knife, you really could have complete confidence in it :)

Would you get it rehandled ???

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 02:24:02 AM
If I were to consider pressing it back into service I'd consider getting it re-handled.  I thought about it briefly but all in all I think I prefer it the way it is.  For what a new handle would cost, I could consider buying a new one, which I'd feel better about making use of.  Since this is a big heavy chopper I'd want to use it while camping, but I'd hate to take a chance on losing it since it has so much family history.

All in all, I feel good about retiring this one- it's done it's time and it deserves to rest and just be appreciated.

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 08:43:11 AM
Hey kids, it turns out Def is a sentimental wimp.   >:D

now for the question we try not to ask near the old folk.

-Is it a matter of retiring due to loyal service, or putting it in a home before it disgraces itself with a public bladder incident?

If the blade is as good as you say - Use it. That's what it is for, and there's no knowing that the next guy won't just scrap it, so put it to task while you (and it) have the function to do so.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 08:51:55 AM
Hey kids, it turns out Def is a sentimental wimp.

I'm not arguing that one bit.

I don't think this knife will ever disgrace itself- it is a serious piece of work, made in the good old days when folks bought one knife and it lasted their entire lives.

Since I am not much of a hunter, I don't have much use for a hunting knife like this one.  These days I only hunt paper and foam targets, both of which this knife can butcher, but taste like crap and aren't Atkins friendly.  Since I have several other knives that are more in line with the type of things I do (camping and kayaking) then I use them.  Also, I'd hate to lose this knife given it's history.  Also, because of it's history, I couldn't sell it to someone who would use it.

If I tried to sell it, it would likely be snapped up by a collector who would lock it away and just appreciate it too, so I might as well keep it.

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 09:01:09 AM
Since I am not much of a hunter, I don't have much use for a hunting knife like this one.  These days I only hunt paper and foam targets, both of which this knife can butcher, but taste like crap and aren't Atkins friendly.

I know what you mean!

I always seem to get into trouble with my dietitian after December's feasting.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 09:05:17 AM
I put a few of those on the BBQ last month.  The secret is to marinade them for a real long time...

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 08:17:35 AM
Def since you take yours kayaking I want to ask how well does grohmann's wood handle stand up to water? Is there any special maintainence required besides just wipe it dry?

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 11:53:34 AM
Def since you take yours kayaking I want to ask how well does grohmann's wood handle stand up to water? Is there any special maintainence required besides just wipe it dry?

There is actually the Xtra model which has wooden scales that are more water resistant.  There is also the one that I am getting, which has Micarta scales.
I'm back!!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 02:41:05 PM
Nice, didn't know that. I just read the spec again it's a pretty small knife, only 4". I duno, the mall ninja in me want to get something like Benchmade Nimravus instead.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 03:03:19 PM
Yeah, the Grohmann is a small knife, and definitely not a ninja type knife... unless you count the fact that this knife was issues to the Canadian paratroopers from the 50's through to sometime in the 80's (I think).  I dunno- I don't think it gets any more ninja-ish than silently dropping into an enemy encampment at night and tearing the bad guys a new one while they sleep!  Of course the traditional looks of the knife hide it's stealthy lethality! :D

The wood handles I've had in the past stood up to water quite well.  I had a little swelling in one handle after it had been immersed for about 24 hours, but when it dried it was fine again.  I used a very fine grit sandpaper to help smooth it out again and it hasn't had a problem since.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 05:05:39 PM
Don't they issue another grohmann to the military now? I'm actually thinking of join the army if they don't think too old after I'm done with school so maybe I'll score a free one?  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 06:34:05 PM
Some units get issued a Gerber MP600, but I'm not certain which ones.  I don't know if there's a current issue Grohmann for the military these days.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #24 on: February 25, 2008, 08:49:41 PM
http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r3s.html

They say "Canadian Army Knife (CAF) or commonly referred to as the "Jump Knife" style: Comes with straight blade and Overlap sheath used by the Canadian Armed Forces since 1964." So I assume it's still being used?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: February 25, 2008, 10:23:23 PM
That's pretty hard to argue with...  They would know better than I would! :D

Def

Reply #26 on: February 25, 2008, 10:44:32 PM
At least they've got a decent knife, not like the crap inflicted on our troops ::)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: February 25, 2008, 11:45:13 PM
http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r3s.html

They say "Canadian Army Knife (CAF) or commonly referred to as the "Jump Knife" style: Comes with straight blade and Overlap sheath used by the Canadian Armed Forces since 1964." So I assume it's still being used?

Yeah I have read in a few places now that the #3 is used by the Canadian army.
I'm back!!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #28 on: February 28, 2008, 11:29:17 PM
Def what sheath do you use for kayaking? I can't imagine the leather sheath fare water well.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 01:40:43 AM
I am probably going to keep it in a dry compartment until I get to a good campsite and use it there as I've got little use for it or any other knife on the water.  In an emergency I have a knife on my pfd that I can use to disentangle myself, but there's rarely anything for me to get tangled in so that's not a huge concern.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%