Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Executive or Wenger Pocket Tool Chest?

us Offline clickstop

Victorinox Executive or Wenger Pocket Tool Chest?
on: July 18, 2012, 06:05:48 PM
As much as I love the 58mm line of Victorinox I wanna get something a little bigger as an EDC knife. I've heard  a lot of people like the Executive for everyday use, but I also love the toolset of the PTC, especially the awl. Can anyone convince to get get either one?  :)

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Re: Victorinox Executive or Wenger Pocket Tool Chest?
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 06:16:55 PM
Depends on which tools you use more. The scissors on both are pretty comparable. The Vic's file is better, the main knife blade is longer, and it has a secondary blade; but the Wenger has the eyeglass screw driver, cap lifter and that awl.

Personally, I carry an Executive, I just find it meets my needs.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 07:39:21 PM
I have a stainless version of both (so a Director in Vic's case), and the Director stops on my desk but the PTC gets carried very frequently (Currently paired with a Gerber Dime and Screwzall - but that has varied a lot).

For me the PTC is the best of the small SAK's. An awl/general purpose pokey thing, and mini screwdriver are better for me over an orange peeler, and there's no real disadvantage in my mind for Wenger on the "common" tools. I'm really surprised there isn't more talk about them here and it doesn't have more supporters ... it's an excellent little tool

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

england Offline macabee

Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 07:56:39 PM
For many a long time the Victorinox Executive was my EDC on the key chain, then I changed over to the Wenger Evolution 88. But I went back to the Victorinox Executive, why, well it just had most of the implements that were every day useful.

I find the 58mm too small and the standard 90+mm too large for a key chain.

At the end of the day it is a personal thing, considering our UK knife law's the Executive is right for me :cheers:
IMG_1837.jpg
* IMG_1837.jpg (Filesize: 170.61 KB)
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

us Offline clickstop

Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 09:16:03 PM
Well I'm really wanting to get one with a useful knife and a usable set of screwdrivers so I'm leaning towards the PTC, but I did notice that it doesn't come with a phillips driver. Could you use the nailfile, like you would on an executive?

de Offline Storky

• A happy fart never comes from a miserable ass.
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 07:41:00 AM
For me the PTC is the best of the small SAK's. An awl/general purpose pokey thing, and mini screwdriver are better for me over an orange peeler, and there's no real disadvantage in my mind for Wenger on the "common" tools. I'm really surprised there isn't more talk about them here and it doesn't have more supporters ... it's an excellent little tool

+1  :tu:

Regards

Markus

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 02:38:27 AM
Well I'm really wanting to get one with a useful knife and a usable set of screwdrivers so I'm leaning towards the PTC, but I did notice that it doesn't come with a phillips driver. Could you use the nailfile, like you would on an executive?
I don't see why not, as long as you're limiting such use to very light duty tasks.  I use the end of the nail file on my Executive as an ersatz phillips driver from time to time, and it does the job for things like battery compartments on my kids' toys and the like.  A little awkward to use because it doesn't come out of the body completely straight, but it's better than nothing.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline clickstop

Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 04:06:12 AM
Hmmm I wish the 74mm line had a more extensive toolset  :-\  It's the perfect size for a main EDC knife. But I think I might go the PTC, the toolset just seems better. Plus, that brushed steel version just looks amazing. Thanks guys!

nl Offline Waterlander

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too..
Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 05:54:31 PM
I don't see why not, as long as you're limiting such use to very light duty tasks.  I use the end of the nail file on my Executive as an ersatz phillips driver from time to time, and it does the job for things like battery compartments on my kids' toys and the like.  A little awkward to use because it doesn't come out of the body completely straight, but it's better than nothing.

Heinz, you need a vintage victoria  :pok:  :D
foto8 (Medium).JPG
* foto8 (Medium).JPG (Filesize: 91.16 KB)
foto2 (Medium).JPG
* foto2 (Medium).JPG (Filesize: 43.13 KB)

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 07:51:54 PM
Wouldn't mind having a Director, if I could find one...   :facepalm:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

nl Offline Waterlander

Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 09:18:37 PM
Wouldn't mind having a Director, if I could find one...   :facepalm:

I feel your pain  :P
Mate, if I come across a Director I will let you know.
Mine is not textured stainless, but smooth, slick, chique and slippery just like the Spirit.

Very practical user and build to last just like the Spirit.
The small blades are capable of serious cutting, parcels with goodies, delicate stuff, and it eats apples for breakfast. My Executives are little convexed lasers. The orange peeler I do like,
just like the serrated butter blade on the Spirit. I has it's uses, like dirty/rough cutting, scraping, lite prying, screwdriver on the tip, etc. Minus it lacks a bottleopener.

I wouldn't mind trying the stainless Wenger PTC though!  :tu:
foto10 (Medium).JPG
* foto10 (Medium).JPG (Filesize: 78.26 KB)
foto10 (Medium).JPG
* foto10 (Medium).JPG (Filesize: 29.27 KB)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 09:34:00 PM by Waterlander »

nl Offline Waterlander

Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 10:24:26 PM
Friday-Director  :think:
Friday-Director.jpg
* Friday-Director.jpg (Filesize: 88.12 KB)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 10:31:59 PM
Friday-Director  :think:

I want that! A mix up with some Ambassador parts?

Is the main file also a :think: file? And that 2D phillips tip looks cool. :tu:

nl Offline Waterlander

Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 10:51:51 PM
It is not mine  :rant: borrowed the pic from the net.

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 11:01:45 PM
Indeed a strange one - with a second file where the second blade should be...
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

nl Offline Waterlander

Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 11:17:37 PM
Indeed! Perhaps build on monday morning by a swiss employee with a hangover from snaps?  :P

us Offline clickstop

Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 02:45:38 AM
Sorry to butt in to this conversation, but I didn't want to make a new thread to just ask this : Could anyone post a comparison video/image of a Wenger PTC next an Executive or a Classic? Sorry to intrude again!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 08:51:44 AM
Director and Brushed Stainless PTC

us Offline clickstop

Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 06:12:05 AM
Thank you very much! :)

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 07:29:25 AM
(Image removed from quote.)
I have an EvoGrip 81 I bought a few months ago to keep in my hiking/camping first aid kit, primarily because I wanted a small but robust pair of scissors.  Seeing these two knives side by side like this made me remember the reason I got the little Wenger instead of a Vic was it was the combination of the size/capability of the scissors and the frame size.

So, earlier tonight I dug it out (I'm preparing for a couple of nights out hiking with my son), and was checking it out again, and I realized the 65 mm frame is a really nice size... I've always found the 58 mm Vics to be too small, and while I really like the size of the Executive, the 65 mm frame seems to be in a sweet-spot between the two.  I might actually have found something keychain worthy again!

us Offline clickstop

Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 07:03:06 AM
(Image removed from quote.)
I have an EvoGrip 81 I bought a few months ago to keep in my hiking/camping first aid kit, primarily because I wanted a small but robust pair of scissors.  Seeing these two knives side by side like this made me remember the reason I got the little Wenger instead of a Vic was it was the combination of the size/capability of the scissors and the frame size.

So, earlier tonight I dug it out (I'm preparing for a couple of nights out hiking with my son), and was checking it out again, and I realized the 65 mm frame is a really nice size... I've always found the 58 mm Vics to be too small, and while I really like the size of the Executive, the 65 mm frame seems to be in a sweet-spot between the two.  I might actually have found something keychain worthy again!

How did you find the blade? Big enough for most tasks?

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 08:06:35 AM

Honestly, it's still a little on the small side, but it does most everything I've tried to use it for.  Honestly, the only thing it wasn't really great at was when I tried to use it while eating.  Wasn't quite long enough to go half way through an apple or orange, and also still a little short to do things like cut up a sausage or a hot dog.  The blade on the Exec is just long enough to go just a bit more than half way through and apple, and easily cuts up polish sausages and the like. 

nl Offline Waterlander

Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 06:59:07 PM
Luckely there is still one last little knifeshop at my place. If I get the chance I always stop by to lurk around. Look what I found yesterday for 2 euro's: a neat little clip-pouch with flap for my Director.  8)
foto30 (Medium).JPG
* foto30 (Medium).JPG (Filesize: 37.32 KB)
foto31 (Medium).JPG
* foto31 (Medium).JPG (Filesize: 33.17 KB)
foto32 (Medium).JPG
* foto32 (Medium).JPG (Filesize: 30.46 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 07:30:15 PM
I like that mate  :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 28, 2012, 12:55:27 AM
Very sweet!  I'd love to have something like that for my Exec!

Luckely there is still one last little knifeshop at my place. If I get the chance I always stop by to lurk around. Look what I found yesterday for 2 euro's: a neat little clip-pouch with flap for my Director.  8)

us Offline clickstop

Reply #26 on: July 28, 2012, 06:16:52 AM

Honestly, it's still a little on the small side, but it does most everything I've tried to use it for.  Honestly, the only thing it wasn't really great at was when I tried to use it while eating.  Wasn't quite long enough to go half way through an apple or orange, and also still a little short to do things like cut up a sausage or a hot dog.  The blade on the Exec is just long enough to go just a bit more than half way through and apple, and easily cuts up polish sausages and the like.

I'm not really planning on any food prep with it, so I'll give it a try. I wish something would come up in eBay already, that brushed steel version is exepnsive!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%