Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Want a new pocket knife - advice?

Offline marty1990

on: August 25, 2012, 11:05:57 PM
Looking into getting a knew pocket knife, since am going camping soon and just feel like treating myself to a new one. Not sure whether to go for a bare bones pocket knife, or a multi-tool. Don't want to spend too much, about £15-£20. Would quite like to be able to carry it round with me in normal day to day use, as well. I've had Swiss Army knives in the past, both Wenger and Victorinox, as well as cheaper knives.

The only other brands I know of are Leatherman and Gerber. Leatherman's are a bit too expensive, and the Gerber knives I've seen are the Bear Grylls ones - don't know if they're any good, though I've heard good things about the compact multi-tool.

So, anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: Want a new pocket knife - advice?
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 11:19:58 PM
Are you looking for a slipjoint or locking blade ?

Another name you might like to take a look at is Buck , they make some very decent knives.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 11:24:33 PM
Given the budget,Rough Rider do some awesome traditional slippies

PS Hi and welcome
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

Offline marty1990

Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 11:26:34 PM
Preferably a slipjoint, as I want to be able to use it as an everyday knife as well. Okay thanks, I'll give Buck a look.

Oh yeah... forgot to introduce myself. I'm new... hey there!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:33:16 PM by marty1990 »

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 11:39:13 PM
Welcome to the forum , you say you have owned Victorinox knives in the past but have you tried a Victorinox Farmer ?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 12:01:00 AM
I'll second the Victorinox Farmer :)

Opinels make fine knives too!

Welcome to the forum :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 12:14:23 AM
For a pocket knife for sure victorinox alox.  £15-20 for a pioneer, or a bit more for the farmer which adds a saw. 

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 12:15:16 AM
For non-locking blades in that price range I'd have a look at Rough Rider knives at www.heinnie.com. For a few quid more an excellent little knife is the Victorinox Compact - oodles of function for a two layer knife. Opinels are great knives, but I find the non-locking ones are a little small, and I personally prefer a backsprung knife. Alternatively keep your eyes open for a good deal on a Byrd Tern. It's a modern non-locking, one hand opening knife with pocket clip - and they're superb knives

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline marty1990

Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 12:40:55 AM
I currently have a Wenger Evo Grip 18, an old Wenger Classic 62 - at least, that's the modern version of it, along with two Victorinox SAK's - a Climber and an old Classic SD with a crack in the casing. I thought about getting the Soldier before I stumbled across Gerber... but am guessing they're no good since everyone is telling me to stick with SAK's? To be fair, I'm kind of limited with Gerber, the majority seem to have locking blades. I quite like the look of the Pioneer over the Farmer... I never found the saw useful, though I only had them on cheap pocket knives (e.g. Gelert and Coast).

Whoa, am liking that Byrd Tern. Little bit out my price range, but it seems like a quality knife.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 12:51:56 AM by marty1990 »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 01:05:38 AM
Vic Solider is a good knife too.  Im SAK biased as I love the things.  That Byrd looks good to me too.  I never cared for gerber stuff, but Im a Victorinox enthusiast simply because I think its tremendous value for the dollar.  Really depends on if you are just looking for a knife, or knife with extra goodies and tools too.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 01:43:22 AM
+1 for the Soldier. I'm camping don't now, and it's in my pocket as I write this. It's a great knife to handle, and will last you a very long time!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Offline marty1990

Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 02:15:24 AM
Hmm, so I've been looking more into those Byrd knives - they seem like really good knives. Though, am confused as to why there's Spyderco and Byrd knives being sold - aren't they one and the same?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 02:29:21 AM
The Byrd Tern is an excellent knife, it's the one I use every day at work. :tu:  The main difference between the Byrd and Spyderco brands seems to be in the blade steel, not that there is anything at all wrong with the steel used in the Byrd knives.

The only concern I have with that style of knife is that, while the Tern is perfectly legal for UK daily carry, they really don't 'look' particularly friendly. :-\  More traditional pocket knives and SAKs will get you far fewer worried looks. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline marty1990

Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 02:47:08 AM
I love that Heinnie Haynes site.

Another knife caught my eye, though it's smaller than the Byrd Tern, and that's the Spyderco Grasshopper. Only £14 as well. Seems to be about the same size as a SAK, and looks like a real nice knife.

Yeah, I can see what you mean about SAK's looking more friendly. Hmm. I might look at some smaller ones, just to get an idea. Those might look 'safer'. Kind of gone off the idea of getting a multi-tool now. Those Byrd's and Spydcero's have swayed my decision on what I'd like.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 02:51:58 AM by marty1990 »

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 02:54:40 AM
If you like carbon steel, check out the Kissing Crane Brown Mule; conversely, their Coal Miner is ok, but I much prefer the Brown Mule. :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 09:15:14 AM
I love that Heinnie Haynes site.

Another knife caught my eye, though it's smaller than the Byrd Tern, and that's the Spyderco Grasshopper. Only £14 as well. Seems to be about the same size as a SAK, and looks like a real nice knife.

Yeah, I can see what you mean about SAK's looking more friendly. Hmm. I might look at some smaller ones, just to get an idea. Those might look 'safer'. Kind of gone off the idea of getting a multi-tool now. Those Byrd's and Spydcero's have swayed my decision on what I'd like.

The Grasshopper is another decent knife. :)

PRO's :-
good for UK EDC
small size will go on your keys
takes a pretty good edge

CON's :-
not the easiest thing to open with one hand
small size means that it's not comfortable for sustained use

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 09:17:40 AM
Yeah I found it a bit too small to use too :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 11:05:43 AM
For camping it will be hard to beat one of the larger Wenger/Victorinox knives with a saw.
I do not think a locking blade will be a problem (legaly) if you are outdoors, camping.

Also check amazon.uk; they tend to do some great prices on knives every now and then.
And Neil, right here too!!!
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 12:15:32 PM
Amazon.uk are doing a vic huntsman for £19.34 which would fit you budget and needs. It is uk legal.

Offline marty1990

Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 01:27:18 PM
Is the Huntsman the same as the Climber just with the saw?

The problem is, I can't see myself having much use with a saw, I've never used one on any of my other podket knives, though I'm guessing the quality of the SAK's saw's will be far better than the one's I've used.

I'm torn between a knife I can carry around the UK legally, a larger knife than can be used whilst am away, or a multi-tool. Hard work this, lol.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 01:56:04 PM

I'm torn between a knife I can carry around the UK legally, a larger knife than can be used whilst am away, or a multi-tool. Hard work this, lol.

You know the proper answer is to buy all three!  But which one first? hmmm :D

no Offline Grathr

Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 02:43:40 PM
Those ViC saws are amazing. You will understand when you have tried one i the woods. I'd get a farmer.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 05:39:09 PM
Neil was mentioned above
You might not have discovered the EDC store yet, there's a link at the top of this page which will take you there  :tu:

http://www.edcsource.com/

Neil always has some very good deals  :salute:

http://www.edcsource.com/Hive-of-SAKtivity,name,100034,user_id,shop
Everything’s adjustable

Offline marty1990

Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 06:43:27 PM
Ohhhhhh, so that's what was meant by Neil. I'll have a look. I'm still debating with myself whether I should get another SAK, or try a knife manufaxcturer... but as I said in my first post, the only other brand I know if that's quality is Leatherman. Gerber I'm not sure about. I'm really digging Spyderco though, but as far as quality knife brands, I don't know any more. Had a look at some Opinels, Rough Riders and Buck's, but am not sure about them.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 06:45:18 PM by marty1990 »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 26, 2012, 06:50:09 PM
To be quite frank, I know of quite a few knife manufacturers, but I know of very few who make quality knives for the price we are discussing here. Making a good knife is surprisingly tricky. Btw, you could also take a look at EKA, they may have an offering that fits. The Swedes make good knives, just as the Swiss.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #25 on: August 26, 2012, 06:50:52 PM
One Gerber you may want to look at is the STL http://www.heinnie.com/Gerber-Knives/Folding-Knives/STL-2.5/p-144-997-7912/   I often carry one and its a great little knife although it does lock  :-\

If you do want to try Gerber the MP400 multiplier is a cracking little multitool.

Dunc

Offline marty1990

Reply #26 on: August 26, 2012, 06:54:39 PM
Ehh, my price is limiting me a bit. What would be a decent price to go up to, for a quality knife?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #27 on: August 26, 2012, 07:03:23 PM
Ehh, my price is limiting me a bit. What would be a decent price to go up to, for a quality knife?

Whats you're goal, a legal carry slipjoint? Or any style?

Offline marty1990

Reply #28 on: August 26, 2012, 07:06:30 PM
Preferably a legal slipjoint... but any style. Kinda wanted the best of both worlds in a slipjoint, just less hassle when I'm away, but might have to get for two knives. What a shame... haha.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: August 26, 2012, 07:27:20 PM
For a slipjoint useful on a trip, the first companies I would have thought of are Vic, Wenger, Case and Great Eastern Cutlery. You would quickly look at 40 GBP, more for a GEC. That said, for instance the GEC #73 fits your spec nicely... except for price, but isn't that the way it always is? I think if would be worth shopping around on EDCSource a little, Heinnie is a great store, but it is often quite expensive there in my opinion. (I do order from them because they're quick and has a large selection, though. Yes, I live in Norway, it's still often the quickest way.)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%