Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone here go camping/hiking?

Splat · 26 · 3808

us Offline Splat

Anyone here go camping/hiking?
on: February 28, 2008, 04:46:28 PM
I've been thinking more of more of getting back into the camping/hiking thing this coming Spring and beyond. I've forgotten how much fun I used to have with my sig/other and/or friends even just going out for the weekend somewhere and getting lost(proverbially speaking). Anyone here into hiking or camping? What gear ya got/take? Any plans for this year's warm months?
Splat

Offline 17Chap

Re: Anyone here go camping/hiking?
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 04:54:41 PM
I try to go every year to the BWCAW and canoe camp for a few days.  Usually go in September.  I've been thinking about it since the first of the year.   :drool:  Is it August yet?

Chap

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 05:15:36 PM
 I've been scouting some  local trails myself for some day hikes.Warm weather won't get here soon enough for me....in the meantime I'm moving this to the Outdoor Edge
I

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 07:55:41 PM
My wife and I go backpacking a couple of times a year, and camping five or six times a year.  I'd go crazy without those excursions.
- Terry

Offline walt_uoob

Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 09:01:49 PM
I've been a camper my whole life, but mostly car camping / beer camping.  I'm trying to get more serious about it and have been slowly amassing some new toys all winter that I can't wait to try out come spring.  The ones I'm most excited about:

--A Hennessey Hammock A-Sym whatchacallit tent/hammock/awesomething.  I've had it set up to test it out a bit and this thing is going to be great.  It's a hammock that's tent material on the bottom and enclosed all around on the top with screen material/mosquito netting stuff.  You lay asymmetrically across the middle line, instead of right along it, so you're laying pretty flat instead of banana-shaped like most hammocks.  And there's a rain fly if needed.  I already had a really nice lightweight North Face tent, but after reading the reviews about the Hennessey I decided to go for it.  Review after review said 'this was the most comfortable night of sleep I've ever had outdoors' or something like that.  It's lighter than pretty much any other tent.  And with the 'snakeskins' (bought separately), you have a built-in stuff sack so the thing literally never has to touch the ground.  I can already set it up in 2-3 minutes.  I gush over this thing every chance I get.  http://www.hennessyhammock.com/  Mine was under $200 including the snakeskins and an extra, larger rainfly they offer as an option.

--A brilliantly designed sleeping bag from Outdoor Research that is the perfect complement to the Hennessey.  It's called the Wallcreeper (I don't really understand the name) and the cool thing about it is you can open up the bottom and two small holes at the sides and wear it around like a walking mummy or cinch it around your waist and it's a big warm sleeveless coat.  This will make getting into and out of the hammock much easier and while it's not for arctic conditions it's rated very well for the weight (I think it's under a pound).  http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/wallcreeper.html

--Several smaller toys that should make hike-in camping easier and more fun.  I got one of the Pocket Chainsaws that others around here have raved about in a thread about wire saws; haven't tried it yet but it seems like a good tool.  Got some compression sacks to make stuff easier to carry.  I also recommend the cotton balls and vaseline fire-starting trick.  I spent hours one day trying different ways of doing this and ended up with a cotton ball that will light with just a couple sparks and give a 6-inch flame for about 2 minutes and then not go out completely for up to 6-7 minutes.

--And then there's the decision that brought me to this board in the first place, which multitool would be best for me?  People here helped me narrow it down to the Buck X-Tract and the Leatherman Juice, since I wanted a tool that would stand up to some use but not be heavy.  I ended up getting stellar deals on them so I bought one of each (about $20-$25 each including shipping).  I'm still torn on this one.  So far in my everyday life the Juice is highly preferable.  I love the way everything snaps into position and feels really solid and well-made, plus the scissors are my most-used tool so far.  The big combo blade on the x-tract seemed like something I really wanted until I got it in my hand.  Maybe it'll prove its worth once I try it on a real camping trip, but so far it seems like something more likely to get me into trouble than come in handy.  One-hand opening sure is nice though.  I'll post an update once I actually get out camping.

Good luck and if you are thinking about new toys post questions here.  I haven't tried everything by any means but I've sure done tons of online research.  And the folks around here are just generally awesome and helpful.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 09:34:08 PM
What LM Juice to you have?
B

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 09:59:45 PM
Well i go camping every weekend from April 1 to Nov 30th. However my camping is different from others. I camp in a 44 foot trailer with a Microwave, shower, flush toilet, full size fridge and stove and cable tv. It has 2 bedrooms and a attatched sunroom. In the yard is my waterpond stocked with coy and I have a pistol range in the back.

So I take only the nessesities to cut back on camping. Only One case of Bud, and a bottle of Jack.

Other than the camper, I dont get paid to sleep on the ground anymore.   
S

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 10:09:29 PM
Hawk, where do you go camping? I go to Gunstock mostly. I have also went to numerous places in Maine.
B

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 01:04:13 AM
http://www.familynfriends.com/index2.shtml

This is the place. Very quite and on Sebago. I have been there now for 5 years and love the place. Fortunatly for me the owners have become like family and they take very good care of us.

In fact when we adopted the last kiddo they came all the way down to Worcester District Court, just to deliver a cake for all of us.
S

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 01:08:32 AM
http://www.familynfriends.com/index2.shtml

This is the place. Very quite and on Sebago. I have been there now for 5 years and love the place. Fortunatly for me the owners have become like family and they take very good care of us.

In fact when we adopted the last kiddo they came all the way down to Worcester District Court, just to deliver a cake for all of us.

That was real nice of them.  :)
I'm back!!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 08:24:20 AM
I luv camping and hiking. Lately I've been getting less steel and more camping gear. New hiking boots and socks. down booties for winter camping.
She got a new sleeping bag, we both got liners and new pads. I'm waiting for a decent sale on a new 3-4 season tent (I like the eureka K-2 XT)
New clothes, fleece, nylon, good wicking stuff for base layering.

I'll be doing some nice camping around Mt Rainier this year and the best times to go are now!

us Offline Splat

Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 09:51:28 PM
--A Hennessey Hammock A-Sym whatchacallit tent/hammock/awesomething.  I've had it set up to test it out a bit and this thing is going to be great.  It's a hammock that's tent material on the bottom and enclosed all around on the top with screen material/mosquito netting stuff.  You lay asymmetrically across the middle line, instead of right along it, so you're laying pretty flat instead of banana-shaped like most hammocks.  And there's a rain fly if needed.  I already had a really

Walt, that looks pretty cool.  I can see the positives of the Hennessey but I don't know if I'd like sleeping in a hammock all the time. I'm used to laying low, literally.  :)  I see Backpacker magazine has a "best of.." issue this month so I'm going to go get that. It'll be a blast to see all the new gadgets I pro'lly wished I had years ago.
Splat

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 05:08:46 AM
I'm more of a car camping type, I bring too much crap to be backpacking. Besides good backpacking gear is espensive. Haven't gone for a long time thou, due to no one else I know right now is into it.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 05:01:57 PM
Other than the camper, I dont get paid to sleep on the ground anymore.   
Me neither. I want cable TV and cold beer.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 01:47:00 AM
Anyone on the east coast willing to suffer a few days camping and kayaking this summer?

I like all kinds of camping- car camping, RV'ing and really roughing it.  The roughing it stuff is cheaper than the 44 foot trailer though, so I tend to do less of it these days! :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 11:19:26 AM
I luv canoing and kayaking! I would if I were on the "other side"
of the country...

nothing like gliding through water, the breeze in your face,
the only sound is from gentle splash of your oar, on a warm day,
the smells, the sounds of nature, the "PEACE!"

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 11:29:23 AM
nothing like gliding through water, the breeze in your face,
the only sound is from gentle splash of your oar, on a warm day,
the smells, the sounds of nature, the "PEACE!"
Shut up mate, you've got me really lusting after a kayak now ::)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 04:00:09 PM
It's ok, you don't have to listen to him.  Hid description is inaccurate anyway, and doesn't do kayaking justice- it's actually much nicer than that!  :pok:

My new video camera is waterproof so hopefully this year we'll have some video to enjoy! :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 09:33:48 PM
lol, well I can only think of one thing better than that, but sometimes it does involve paddling  >:D

Offline diff_lock

• New User
Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 02:05:12 AM
When I used to live in Saudi Arabia we would go in to the deserts with 4x4s, and camp the night.

This would be done every few months, and was pretty fun.

The trip was great (off road, getting stuck), then once we found a camp site, people would unpack seats and the drinks/food. Then most of the group would go hike around the area or 'climb' some pretty high cliffs. Before it got dark we would setup the cars to block the strong winds so we could set up our tents and start the camp fire. At this point everyone is seated around the camp fire eating meats and other BBQ styled foods cooked over the fire, talking and just enjoying the night, which is great  far away from light polution.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 09:20:41 AM
When I used to live in Saudi Arabia we would go in to the deserts with 4x4s, and camp the night.

This would be done every few months, and was pretty fun.

The trip was great (off road, getting stuck), then once we found a camp site, people would unpack seats and the drinks/food. Then most of the group would go hike around the area or 'climb' some pretty high cliffs. Before it got dark we would setup the cars to block the strong winds so we could set up our tents and start the camp fire. At this point everyone is seated around the camp fire eating meats and other BBQ styled foods cooked over the fire, talking and just enjoying the night, which is great  far away from light polution.

Sounds like a good time mate :), and welcome to the forum :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 05:33:57 PM
That sound like a good laugh.  :)

Welcome buddy.  ;)
I'm back!!

Offline nezza33

Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 03:33:19 PM
I've got to go hiking i'm in northumbria mountain rescue so usually twice a month but if we get called out it could be more.
J

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 04:12:13 PM
I've got to go hiking i'm in northumbria mountain rescue so usually twice a month but if we get called out it could be more.

Nezza I only just realised you are in SAR , what knives / multitools do you use up in the hills ?

Dunc

Offline nezza33

Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 04:29:47 PM

Nezza I only just realised you are in SAR , what knives / multitools do you use up in the hills ?

Dunc
Well at the moment in my bergen i keep a RAT-3 on me at all times at the moment i carry a swisstool,SAK compact And BM griptillian for cutting climbing ropes and stuff.
J

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 12:12:06 AM
Anyone on the east coast willing to suffer a few days camping and kayaking this summer?

I like all kinds of camping- car camping, RV'ing and really roughing it.  The roughing it stuff is cheaper than the 44 foot trailer though, so I tend to do less of it these days! :D

Def

Sorry I didnot see this earlier. The 44 footer is way cheaper. Its free!!! and on Sebago.
S

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD