Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Handyman

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Handyman
on: September 07, 2012, 11:03:56 AM
Hi everybody

just some on my thoughts on multitools:

Yes knives with multi use functions is not new in the world and history, however we are also lucky to live in a time with a huge number of models to select from,.To be more precise a multitool today is to have a medium to large size plier, needle nose or blunt nose, then the other functions by the work the tool is selected for.

Everyone know about Leatherman style tools, they are good, still i would like to mention the Wenger Ranger tools, in the early 1990s Wenger made a 120mm category knife, later in a few years the WengerGrip was introduced this did not have pliers that could be folded, very large size pliers however,.The WengerGrip also had the bit opening in the handle for multiple bit use, it had a very large size saw that we could see on the Rangers, in general the tool had large size functions,

We know the evolution style handle that came around 2005 this was also done on the new Rangers the new 120mm or more correct 130mm category -a new design from a-z , so to my point:

the new Rangers got a new plier, this could be folded into the body of the knife, a new style multitool is born, a plier so is maybe not new in history, however the Wenger style tool is born, different models got introduced with fame, today we see a special multitool like the RangerGrip Handyman, now we see a multitool in large size with a combination of functions that not many in the world can compare with, the word custom made is easy with the bit opening in the handle since one can custom make your selection of bits for all kinds of use.

It is very important that a multitool do not end up "just as a plier" if it to be called multi then it must be designed for this, Wenger the active outdoor brand really made this work, for me also very interesting as a collector to see the mechanism and how the tool is assembled, this tool is also special since it got a plier and woodsaw together with metalsaw/file, bit opening, special purpose reamer and more.

The plier itself on a multitool of the world is a multi use tool "itself" however the use on gear many times require bits, to use just the plier on nuts and bolts may damage your equipment...

Corrosion resistance: here the Swiss Army Knives is probarbly in a class of its own, polished parts and the stainless steel is always high class, this is important for the cleaning and functionality of your tool, the steel used is always easy to sharpen, blades that can be opened with one hand is a safety feature but also a comfortable use function,.

Multitool world:

I am sure we are just in the beginning of the phenomenon, we will very sure see many different designs and shapes around the world, a multitool for small things can of course be small, but if to cut a large branch or work on your bike or gear or just in general be safe with one tool the size is important. This can be better explained by the more outdoors camping people,

The foldable plier:

This style is special and interesting, to make this i have done some study on the mechanism and precision is the key, the precision to make this is to say very high- can only be done by masters, so we have the factors, corrosion resistance, precision, polished parts, design and large size, a steel easy to sharpen,.

The comfort with the plier is well, one can operate the spring loaded plier with one finger, one would get great length for removing a hook on a fish for example..

Wenger got a multitool design and philosophy that is a special, if one should have gotten this made by a special cutler i could only imagine the cost it would have,.

No multitool is perfect for all situations but it is a choice for the best situation.....
Handyman.jpg
* Handyman.jpg (Filesize: 423.65 KB)
Get more tools

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Re: Handyman
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 06:28:17 PM
Great read !  :salute:

I also think that we are just in the beginning and that in the coming years we will see many new and different designs :tu:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 11:19:05 PM
I'd certainly like to see more Swiss MT's :tu:

Thanks for the read mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 11:49:47 PM
I think we'll start seeing more 'hybrid' tools like the Ranger 90.  I don't often need pliers so the 90 hasn't really appealed to me.  I have a PER Ranger 179 and it's a great knife.  If I could get something like a RangerGrip 78, with the saw and PE blade, and a pair of the Wenger scissors in it as well, that would be an awesome outdoorsman's knife!   :drool:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $160.46
PayPal Fees: $9.45
Net Balance: $151.01
Below Goal: $148.99
Site Currency: USD
50%