Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is there too much brand loyalty

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Is there too much brand loyalty
on: November 28, 2006, 01:00:05 AM
OK I gotta confess, I only own Leatherman tools. Have I sold myself short? I mean come on they allways work well for me. I got my first tool 12 years ago, I cashed in my Marlboro Miles and got a PST. It started as a toy and I really got to love the product. It lasted me until 5 years ago when I had it stolen out of my console when getting my oil change.

Then I got the Wave to replace it. And fell in love again. It fit everything that I needed in a tool, soon it had a brother another wave. I still have one of them the other was given to a nephew last year going to the gulf. It serves him well in the corp. and god willing both will be soon home.

Last year I figured I would try the new wave but found myself walking out of target with the surge. Now I have the ultimate tool for my work. But wait the obsession does not end. You see several years ago the Juice series came out and had a sweet little leather sheath that does look killer on my belt when I go to Lodge in my tux. I also picked up a micra somewhere along the way and that resides constantly in my watch pocket in my jeans.

Lastly tonight I went to Wall mart to pick up dog food and found myself buying the Kick. I dont really know why I did it I just figured that I would get the clip for it and have a stronger sideclip to carry at home for "just in case"

So Am I sick or should I try another tool? I am open to suggestions....
S

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Is there too much brand loyalty
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 01:35:43 AM
If you like Leatherman then you are safe.  They make good solid tools and you can't go wrong with them.

However, you really might also be impressed by some of the other brands.  The Spirit especially comes highly regarded.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 04:34:35 AM
You have Leatherman tools.  For your next tool, try a Victorinox SwissTool, Spirit, or a SOG PowerLock.  Variety is refeshing. 

The Leatherman tools are sold everywhere, but they are by no means the only company to make a good multitool.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline colubrid

Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 06:28:10 AM
Kinda agree what everone said so far. variety is the spice. Get a SOG and Vic Spirit.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 09:30:17 AM
I have to say Hawkchucker I was just like you. When I first got into multitools all I had was LM's.  The first one I got was a Micra, then I followed up with the PST and so on and so on.... I thought that LM tools were the best so why should I get another brand tool. The only reason I got another brand tool, the SwissTool, was because I always liked SAKs and I loved it. I felt the same way when I got my SOG PowerLock.  If LM works for you thats fine, but if you are fan of multi's give Vic and SOG a chance, I think you'll happy.
"

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 06:31:24 PM
I wouldn't say I have excessive brand loyalty , I have had issues with SOG and Gerber , and good results with Vic. and Leatherman . I'll try anything new that appears to be well thought out , and displays goo quality .

Chris

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 10:21:54 PM
Maybe I will try the Sog out for a try. I dont Really like the Gerbers I have handles so far. so maybe a change is in order.
S

Offline colubrid

Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 11:48:35 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but someone has to tell you.

You already have the desease.

..and this is how it progresses and gets worse.

For me, I got a SOG after the LM's like you will. But then I ordered a Spirit and owhhh wee. Shaweeet!

If you get a SOG you will not stop there and you will one day eventually end up ordering a Spirit. When you do, you will know the end is near. Thats why its called the "Spirit".

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 12:09:22 AM
I think Colubrid pretty well has that one nailed...  >:D

But seriously, I don't think brand loyalty is a bad thing unless it's to some el cheapo tool designed and built by the finest slave labor the Third World has to offer...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 01:19:11 AM
 I try to stay away from the Chinese junk.  Unfortunately, one of my favorite tools the Buck X-tract, is made in China. 

And stop talking about the Spirit before I go and buy one... it's already on my list of tools to get, but I'm trying to put it off until after Christmas!
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 01:41:54 AM
Boy are you lucky we never got the pokey stick icon here!

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 02:10:26 AM

Def

(Somebody else ask. I already did, and I still don't understand.)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 02:15:07 AM
(Somebody else ask. I already did, and I still don't understand.)

Ok, I'll do it.  What's the pokey stick icon?

Er... at least I hope that's the question I was supposed to ask.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline colubrid

Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 02:22:22 AM

Def

sounds ghey

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21