Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Timberline +B Key tool O2 wrench/Knife

Boyen · 10 · 6577

00 Offline Boyen

Timberline +B Key tool O2 wrench/Knife
on: September 30, 2012, 12:36:35 AM
So I'm making this topic mostly because I couldn't find a whole lot of info on this tool myself. Only a topic that stated it was a ripoff of the MSOPT (which I strongly disagree with, considering the huge differences). And a topic stating it is a bad tool design. But I bought it anyway, because I saw some merit in it.

So basically this tool is relatively cheap (~15€) and offers a knife, screwdriver, a bottle opener, a rescue tool and an oxygen wrench. I want to go over the functions a bit.

Knife
The Knife is very usable. It depends on what you use it for I guess. But as a keychain knife, it opens up boxes, cuts through cardboard with ease and is really easy to sharpen. It isn't very hard to get a good grip on it for the knife contrary to what I've read. I did use the 'paracord' that came with it to make the handle a bit thicker.

Bottle opener
Really hard to use, but it works. You don't really get the leverage you need. I've still opened bottles with it, but it's obviously not the best tool to use for this. So, if you don't have anything else, it will work for you.

Belt cutter
IMO, you can put enough force to get through belt/wire with this thing. It works, it's not the most comfortable, but it does work.

Screwdriver
A bit big, I haven't come across screws on which this works yet.

O2 wrench
I use this opening to make the tool thicker with the paracord. I haven't had a need for an O2 wrench yet..

Kydex
Works good. There were some reports of it being really noisy. Not a problem at all. It's not the tightest however. But with one rivet you can fix this issue entirely, making it very tight as well. It's not neccesary though.

Conclusion
When you read all of the above it seems rather negative. I don't think the bottle opener should've been on this at all. And the screwdriver could've been smaller for me, though I might be happy with it at one point. I'm fine with the kydex and knife. The ergonomics certainly takes some getting used to as well. But on the plus side, it is really small and easy to carry on a keychain.

Also - it is one of the most used tools on my keychain. The knife actually has a good size and it really cuts through cardboard/food/boxes easily. While the bottle opener isn't great, it does open the bottles. So to sort of bring a conclusion to this story, while the Timberline key tool isn't great, it does work.

Would I recommend it? Eh.. it really depends. It is by no means a replacement for something like an Atwood or other more expensive OPMTs. And for my self I think I will also get a tool with a more comfortable grip if my EDC requires it. It does do everything it promises, and for urban EDC you don't really need much more than it offers, so if that's what you need it's a good tool to get.
dlBETmtoRaaZlqixMGz6Lw==.jpg
* dlBETmtoRaaZlqixMGz6Lw==.jpg (Filesize: 21.12 KB)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 01:02:46 AM by Boyen »

gb Offline kitbeard

Re: Timberline +B Key tool O2 wrench/Knife
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 11:13:48 AM
Nice review, Boyen.  The issues with the Timberline tool for me are the inclusion of a blade, this makes into a fixed blade knife in terms of UK law, so you need a "good reason" to carry it, and the way in which the blade sits right where I think someone would put their thumb for leverage when using the bottle opener.  However, I'd be interested in a bladeless version if Timberline ever get round to offering one.

00 Offline Boyen

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 11:46:47 AM
and the way in which the blade sits right where I think someone would put their thumb for leverage when using the bottle opener.  However, I'd be interested in a bladeless version if Timberline ever get round to offering one.

I carry this one because they aren't especially keen on knives in the Netherlands either, and this isn't the kind of knife you can do damage with. It doesn't have a sharp point, so in no way it can be used to stab someone.

As for the bottle opener, I get that you would want to put your hand on the blade, but really. You just don't do it  :). You get used to it soon enough and it does open bottles, it just doesn't do it nicely without effort like some other tools does..

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 12:12:16 PM
Yes, I imagine that is a mistake you'll only make once!   :ahhh

I also wondered if the same thing would happen when trying to use the wire stripper.  Thanks for giving us a good run down of this tool.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 01:10:35 PM
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

00 Offline Boyen

Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 01:30:53 PM
Same thing, pretty sure. Not even a knockoff cause I know it is produced in China. Could've gotten it much cheaper then.. oh well.

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 04:05:34 PM
i bought one, short conclusion:

pros:

-knife:useful enough for a keychain tool
-bottle opener
-o2 wrench:i tried, works well

cons:

-belt cutter:dull
-kydex:rattles
-screwdriver

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 04:28:49 PM
Honestly, for that functionality, I'd buy the Boker produced JRP Toucan.  Super nice tool and all functions work well (ie bottle opener can be used with Kydex sheath on)

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 05:49:34 PM
yes, this böker seems more functional.

00 Offline Boyen

Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 10:34:13 PM
No full disagreement there, just two points;

1. At the time of buying the B+ tool the boker plus toucan wasn't available yet.
2. There's a definite weight/size difference, I got similar tools to the Toucan (DCF Pry) and the weight/size is a bit too much for my current EDC keychain philosophy

So all in hindsight, almost a year later, I have actually used this thing a lot. The edge is razor sharp and great for so many cutting tasks. The rest of the multi-tool aspects are overall unimpressive but at a cost of $3.50 at DX it's sort of hard to pass up to. Don't get it for a designated bottle opener, pry or screwdriver but an awesome small knife it is for cardboard/paracord etc.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%