Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SwissTool Serrated Blade Workout

Offline Travis Autry

SwissTool Serrated Blade Workout
on: March 06, 2008, 02:58:53 AM
I'm not sure if it qualifies as abuse or just hard use, but my EDC SwissTool's serrated blade got a real workout over the last two days.  As an Audio Visual Technician at a small university here in North Carolina, my SwissTool is prized as part of my EDC.  The other two guys carry Leatherman Kicks, so when it comes time for sawing, light prying, hammering and other rough chores, they call on me.

Yesterday and today we were installing multi-media lecturn systems.  The project required removing the old systems.  During the course of that we found nearly a dozen coils of cable that led to nowhere.  I was assigned to clean it up.  Due to the way it was set up, the only choice was to cut it out.

The only shortcoming I've found with the SwissTool is the relatively small wire cutters.  Even with basic speaker wire or cable ties, I have to make two cuts to completely sever.  So, I went with the serrated blade.  I made countless cuts on multiple strands of wire and the blade kept cutting.  This morning I touched it up with my diamond rod and found no nicks or damage.

Today I had to cut a bunch of cable ties and chose the serrated blade again.  It worked flawlessly.  Before we finished we found two more large cables that had to be removed.  My boss reached for his Kick.  Since the cables were aproximately the diameter of my index finger, I handed him my SwissTool with the serrated blade out.  Once again, the blade sawed through the cable in short order.

While the serration pattern may not seem as aggressive as Spyderco or Leatherman, I've found the Victorinox pattern to be more worthwhile than both.  In my experience the two-step serrations seem to hang up in material worse.  They are also more difficult to sharpen.

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Re: SwissTool Serrated Blade Workout
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 03:03:16 AM
SwissTool Rules!
(

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 03:06:57 AM
The serrations on Vic knives aren't as brutal as other brands, but they cut better for it.  There are really no pointy teeth, so there's no "biting" into something...the serrations on SAKs cut naturally.

What kind of cable were you cutting?  I always assumed cutting any kind of metal waould dull/ding a blade really fast. :think:
[

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 04:20:54 AM
Most of the cable was mutiline phone and ethernet type cable, about 1/4" diameter.  Essentially it was all insulated copper wire.  The last two contained 3 or 4 of the 1/4" cables.

As for dulling, I did notice a bit of drag late in the day yesterday.  I spent about 5 minutes with the diamond rod this morning and the drag was gone.

I left out that cutting the wire came after using the serrated blade to make a starter holes for the saw in some drywall.  But that is another story. . . don't get me started on how great the saw is!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 04:27:09 AM

I left out that cutting the wire came after using the serrated blade to make a starter holes for the saw in some drywall.  But that is another story. . . don't get me started on how great the saw is!

That's what the awl is for! :climber:
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 08:53:13 AM
I hate serrations as a general rule, but I've got to admit that the style vic uses are the best of the breed :)

Glad to see the swisstool coming through for you mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 07:35:40 PM

While the serration pattern may not seem as aggressive as Spyderco or Leatherman, I've found the Victorinox pattern to be more worthwhile than both.  In my experience the two-step serrations seem to hang up in material worse.  They are also more difficult to sharpen.

Your spot on about that  :D I couldnt agree more

Dunc

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 07:43:34 PM
Can't beat that Swiss precision :salute:

Offline Fishnuts2

Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 08:13:19 PM
I agree that the ONLY shortcoming of a Swisstool is the small wire cutter.  I cut coaxial cable many times a day, and the tool I use now for that is a Gerber 800 or 600.  (I carry a sidecutter pliers in my kit, but that is no fun!)  Otherwise, I EDC a Spirit.
W

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD