Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Sentinel OHO w/clip or Wenger Ranger 51 OHO w/clip?

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
on: November 01, 2012, 03:04:21 PM
Both SAKs are nice. We know that the Ranger's blade is larger than the Sentinel but which blade is easier/smoother to open and close with one hand? Has better grip? With that said, which is preferable for EDC?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Vic Sentinel OHO w/clip or Wenger Ranger 51 OHO w/clip?
Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 03:12:33 PM
I'm not familiar with the Sentinels or any OHO Vic for that matter, but I do have a Rangergrip 90.

The rangergrip will certainly fill the hand more - I found it very surprising just how thick those Wenger scales are at their widest part. The blade is fine to OHO once you get the knack of thumb placement to start it off. It opens smoothly, but it's not always easy to get that initial purchase on the blade. For me personally the ability to unlock the blade without putting your fingers/thumb beneath the path of the blade is a huge bonus - I have avoided those reverse liner locks on the Vic 111's completely.

Even though I've not tried the Vic, my first choice would still be the Wenger, but I know my tongue would pop out of the corner of my mouth in concentration everytime I opened the blade - closing the blade is no problem

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

de Offline crackout

Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 03:43:47 PM
I like the unlocking feature of the Wenger where you press the Swiss logo a lot more than the simple liner pressing on the Vic. Also, I'm not sure if this has purpose, but the liner lock on the Sentinel is somewhat flipped around. You can't press it with your thumb, you'll have to pull it.
Say my name.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 03:55:10 PM
In the big knife catagory, I think (in my opinion of course) there is no competition.  The wengers are loads better than the Vics in every way.  I prefer the blade shape, locking mechanism and tools.  I love Vics, but they dont hold a candle to the wengers in the big size.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 04:37:06 PM
I have neither yet, but although I like 91mm Victorinox better than 84mm Wengers, after reading most reviews and viewing most videos, have the impression that most 120-130mm Wengers are better outdoor knives than most 110mm Vics  With the probable exception of left handed people.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 08:13:37 PM
I did have both (although, i had a Sentinel OHO and a sentinel with teh standard blade with clip) and my opinion is:

The Wenger is a very nicely made knife, it opens smoother than teh Vic and teh locking mechanism is easier to unlock.

But it is very big (too big in my book) for pocket or every day carry.

I would rather see it as a knife i carry for camping trips as it is big enough to slice a leaf of bread and prepare meat and for occasionally making wood snippets to start a fire.

I can´t comment on it´s clip as i have a clipless version.

The Vic is very slim and fits nicely in a pocket, especially with the clip.
the Tweezer and Toothbick are a nice addition to my EDC, which either consists of a MP 600 or a Spirit and a blade.

The Vic´s blade is big enough for everyday tasks and would suffice on a Camping trip, too.
I like the shape of the blade a bit better than on the wenger, but that´s a matter of taste, really.

The clip is strong and holds teh knife securely while not getting much in teh way.

So, in my book, the Vic would get the job as a EDC/ Work knife.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%