Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which tool for my keyring?

Dan · 19 · 2307

Offline Dan

Which tool for my keyring?
on: March 26, 2008, 12:46:40 AM
Hey,

About this time last year I made a post requesting information on some small multitools. Eventually I bought a Squirt E4 and a Paladin PT-525 (I'm an Electrical and Electronic Engineer so these gadgets seemed too good to miss!).

I've been keeping a lurking eye out on these forums... Now's the time I need some more advice!

I seem to get odd ideas in my head sometimes - Little things nobody else cares about but I want perfection. Anyway, to most of you guys this is already a done deal but for me... I thought, this keyring set up could be better.

So far I've purchased a heavy duty chain and cut it down very short (Enough for pocket length but this is all) as well as a clip and a quick release. Below the quick release I've added a large split ring and all bits off here will be on seperate clips.

At the moment I own the following which I intend to put on the keyring (* indicates item I've previously carried).

*House Keys
*Car Keys
*Trolley Coin
*Leatherman E4
USB Drive
Inka Pen
Small Thumb-Push LED Torch
Secret Vial
Perhaps, whistle (Have ordered and will decide upon arrival).

In my wallet I also have a pocket mod, http://www.pocketmod.com/ , and a cheap (But occasionally useful) boyztoys small tool:

There are a few necessary items I believe I'm missing from this list - Namely scissors and perhaps a ruler (Simply an edge with markings would do. The above boyztoys tool has one if push comes to shove)... Any other "Must Have" tools I've missed? Please let me know!

Now, looking for scissors alot of these came up:

Look a bit cheap and will let the whole the set up down.

Considering my problem further I thought - Hey! A new keyring multi tool. Problem is I'd rather not "double up" on tools if necessary (I'd rather only carry one of each tool around)... For example, I'd rather the scissor tool didn't class completely with the E4 with the only difference being the strippers swapped with scissors. I don't mind "doubling up" if the new tool is better however.

Currently the tools I'm considering for this (Solely because they are all I can think of are):

SOG Crosscut
Gerber Solstice
Gerber Shortcut
Coast 10-in-1 Pocket Tool-Box

Do you believe any of these will cut it? (Excuse the pun). Any further recommendations?

I'd appreciate ANY help - Either on tools I'm missing from this "ultimate" set up in general (Note though it has to be in my pocket day in day out so some tools will be skipped. Eg, I was originally going to purchase a car belt cutter but realised the scissors could do this talk... Want to keep it concise but complete!)... Or (And hopefully!) any tools that will help me scissor predicament.

Sorry for the long thread but I've been puzzling over this for several nights now and really need to make some decisions.

Cheers!

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Re: Which tool for my keyring?
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 12:47:53 AM
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 01:01:13 AM
Welcome back!  Glad to hear things have been working out for you so far!

What about a Victorinox SwissCard?  It has really good scissors, the ruler and a small pen.  Depending on the model, you can exchange certain tools- some have small lights, some have magnifying glasses end so on.

I'm sure Felinevet can help you out with one for very little, which might leave you with enough in your budget to explore other options as well!

:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 01:07:55 AM
Welcome back!  Glad to hear things have been working out for you so far!

What about a Victorinox SwissCard?  It has really good scissors, the ruler and a small pen.  Depending on the model, you can exchange certain tools- some have small lights, some have magnifying glasses end so on.

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm sure Felinevet can help you out with one for very little, which might leave you with enough in your budget to explore other options as well!

:D

Def

If the SwissCard looks like it might work, contact me at felinevet@sosakonline.com and I'll fix you up.
T

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 01:19:22 AM
Speak his name and he appears!   >:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 01:36:18 AM
Those pocket shears that look REALLY cheap are phenomenal! They have sharp handles but the scissors cut so well!
B

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 04:17:47 AM
If you get the pocket scissors get the Slip-N-Snip brand. They're made in the US and are actually pretty good. I have a pair.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 05:27:34 AM
If you would like an other MT,go with the Squirt S-4 to go with your E-4.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 04:32:23 PM
Those pocket shears that look REALLY cheap are phenomenal! They have sharp handles but the scissors cut so well!

Yeah, most of those folding scissors are functionally far superior to SAK scissors.  Having finger loops makes a big difference in control and function.

For situations where you need decent scissors, like for a compact first aid kit, folding scissors are the way to go.

N

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 05:24:18 PM

Currently the tools I'm considering for this (Solely because they are all I can think of are):

SOG Crosscut
Gerber Solstice
Gerber Shortcut
Coast 10-in-1 Pocket Tool-Box

Do you believe any of these will cut it? (Excuse the pun). Any further recommendations?

Hi Dan.  I have both the Solstice and the Shortcut and both have really good scissors.  If I were to chose one to carry though, it would be the Shortcut as it is far easier to use (although I would say that the Solstice's scissors cut better).

I cannot comment on the other 2.
I'm back!!

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 06:11:40 PM
I have the Coghlan's Folding Scissors which are nearly identical to the Slip-N-Snip brand, found them in the camping section on my local hardware store. They are so inexpensive you might as well give them a go. Also, the Swisscard isn't going to break the bank either so you might as well get in touch with Tim (felinevet) and get one or two (don't forget to round-up for the kitties). Give these a try and if they don't work, they can still be left in a glove compartment for emergency use which isn't a bad idea either.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Offline Dan

Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 11:52:38 PM
Thanks very much for all replies! Certainly alot to consider.

Special thanks especially to felinevet - I'm not too sure if a Swisscard is a good idea or not. I ideally wanted a keychain tool but this does look like a very interesting gadget... Thank you very much for the offer - I'll be sure to get in touch if I decide I want one (I guess being in the UK isn't much of a problem?).

Further to what I've said previously:

I'm being put off of the Shortcut by its similarity to the Leatherman E4 - I'd rather have as few duplications of tools on me at any given time if possible. Reading around the forum the SOG seems overkill and perhaps not even too worthwhile... Definitely the most expensive tool to get around here.

Not read much more about the Coast - Have to get info.

I think my current best is to consider the Solstice (I don't like its main keychain loop though - Is the small hole in one of the legs large enough to put a split ring through?) or the folding scissors... Problem with this is none of the ones mentioned appear easy to purchase in the UK.

I've now considered a SAK too - Can't imagine that'd be a bad idea... I think the best for the size/weight and amount of tools is the Mini Champ. Only thing putting me off that is again duplication - Only a few days ago I purchased a LED torch (I know only the Midnight has this) and an Inka pen... And then alot of the tools are duplications of the E4 - The knife, file, bottle opener, etc, etc.

Decision with these tools are never easy, eh?

Thanks again for all comments :)

Dan.

Offline Ging

• Skint Brit!!
Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 01:23:47 PM
I have both a E4 and S4, I carry the S4 on my keys, for the scissors.  I keep the E4 in my Uni bag so it's with me in labs (Electronic and Electrical Engineering student), I guess I am doubling up on tools but it doesn't feel like you are.
E

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 06:31:56 PM
I have both a E4 and S4, I carry the S4 on my keys, for the scissors.  I keep the E4 in my Uni bag so it's with me in labs (Electronic and Electrical Engineering student), I guess I am doubling up on tools but it doesn't feel like you are.

That's what I trained in.  :)
I'm back!!

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 08:02:49 PM
I knew Ben was trained! :pok:

How about a custom Sak from Felinevet/Scibeer. He's made some sweet farmers with scissors,
but you could get anything (model) with anything (as long as it fits).

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 08:09:54 PM
He's house trained too :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 08:14:27 PM
I don't have that much experience  with keyring tools but until I broke it by pushing way beyond what it was meant to do I was more than happy with the Gerber Shortcut .It was a great EDC the scissors were very sharp and the screw drivers worked ok and most importantly it was very sheeple friendly dare I say it even more so than my climber
The  :police:wouldn't bat an eye unless you were waving it about and threatening to trim the nails of passersby  

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 08:53:09 PM

Have you checked behind your flower pot though.  :-\
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 08:54:43 PM