Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

That pesky dollshouse and the mp800

Zed · 9 · 2539

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
That pesky dollshouse and the mp800
on: November 15, 2012, 02:27:59 PM
I recently in a trade off of lowtech got a mp800 legend, so is it a thing of legends  :D i also had a dollshouse project, basicaly every christmas at my house lots of our family come over and we make decorations etc with the kids,for the last 3 years me and my sister in law get a bit competative  :D so this year we are joining forces, we decided to make a santas house / workshop/stables  :D  well i started it yesterday,still lots to do as run out of wood and time so here are some pics plus little review of the mp800  :tu:

Mp800,this is one chunky MT that craves for extras, the build is pretty good on mine and rock solid but those hamdles might be a little bit chunky for some folks hands,

I knocked up a few extra saws for it for a few more options  :tu: the grit saw thought works well and cut through wood as well with no issues,

All the drivers worked very well but my only issue was the phillips as very little in length  :-\ its always been a reason ive left gerber alone as most if not all ther MT's have this short phillips, on the mp800 there is more than enough room for a longer one, but atleast you can attach there bit kit too it  :tu:

the combo blade worked a treat being also OHO but fiddly to return one handed due to fiddly lock but plenty of fiddling fun  :D

The pliers was one of the things i liked the look of on the MT due to removable blades,they cut really well and i cut a break cable with not much of a issue as even my waves in the past struggled with this job,all in all very good solid pliers with no side to side play.Good for unblocking my gripfill tube  :D plus spring loaded,

All in all a good solid MT but issues for some could be too chunky and lacking in enough tools for the size of MT,i have to say its a nice looking tool and come with a nice pouch plus sleeve for extras,for me its a kitchen draw MT as would be easy for my wife to get the tools out as the wave use to scare her  :D

nearly forgot the amazing Fiskars scissors,

pros
solid feel and good pliers plus removable cutters and spring loaded,handy replaceable saw,good combo blade,great Fiskars scissors and very good file,

cons
not many tools and a bit chunky in the hand and for daily carry,

ok dollshouse pics  :D
my workmate

and so far,still loads to do,
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 04:49:54 PM by Zed »

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Re: That pesky dollshouse and the mp800
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 05:03:36 PM
I remember trying an 800 in the shop when they first came out. Way too big for my hands.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 05:10:13 PM
Nice one Paul  :tu: I have the baby sibling - the MP700 - and think it's an excellent tool. Essentially it's very similar but on a smaller frame and loses the saw and file but gains tweezers  :D The spring opening pliers are very nice as is the cute little plain blade, and it suits my hands better. I do like the look of the 800, but it would be far too unwieldy for me  :(

Nice to see the Remgrit saw fared well with wood, and the cutters impressed a long time Wave fan. I don't mind the Philips length too much on these, and at least they are fairly central when deployed due to that little dog-leg in them. I think the MP700 & 800 never really got the recognition they both deserved

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 06:07:12 PM
Thanks guys ,i actually like this mt and oddly reminds me of the swisstool i had ,i think its the outside opening tools and fiddle factor that is similar  :tu:overal I'm impressed with the 800 as my first full size Gerber MT not sure how much ill use it now i have a charge coming  ;) but as i said its user friendly so angie will probably use it around the house  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 06:35:32 PM
Cheers for the thoughts Paul. :cheers:  I don't think I had realised the pliers on these were spring loaded, nice option for folks who like them. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 06:55:53 PM
I´m glad it is used an appreciated over there on the island.
Actually, the sheer size was too much for me as an EDC tool. I´m on and off looking for a MP 700 to try out.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 08:16:23 PM
I´m glad it is used an appreciated over there on the island.
Actually, the sheer size was too much for me as an EDC tool. I´m on and off looking for a MP 700 to try out.

It will get used Thomas  :tu: i dont like stuff sat in boxes or in a draw although i see this as not a edc but more a EDHC (everyday house Carry)  :D but it is a looker  :tu:

yeah i like the spring loaded pliers Gareth as havnt had many so fun just flicking them open  ::)  :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 09:36:55 PM
Here is a pic of it between the powerlock and a ppp

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 05:32:57 PM
Also just noticed a very good review done on here  :salute:

http://www.multitool.org/Gerber/Large-Tools/2007/07/13/legend-800.html

Donations