Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Inexpensive (but good) Camping Saw

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Inexpensive (but good) Camping Saw
on: November 24, 2012, 09:17:26 AM
Just thought I could use one and have done 0% research on them. This is where you all come in. I NEED HELP......... Thanks everyone.    :D
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Inexpensive (but good) Camping Saw
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 09:19:38 AM
My two personal favourites are the Bahco Laplander and the Opinel saw with the virolock (twist ring). They are both excellent. The Bahco is overall favourite, but the Opinel is lighter and more pocketable

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 10:53:50 AM
Another vote for the Laplander here :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 11:13:49 AM
I've used a couple of really cheap folding saws and both actually got the job done.  However the Laplander really is worth that little extra money IMO as it cuts that little bit faster and smoother. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 02:42:02 PM
While not too cheap , the Silky pocket saw , is wonderfull .

Chris

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 03:15:08 PM
Ya I love the silky, but I dont know how cheap they are.  I think I paid $50 from a Canadian site. Its like a light sabre through a tree branch.  Heavily used by horticulturists for tree pruning and I can see why.

Edit:  Looks like Amazon has them in the $30 range.  They are awesome japanese made tools.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 03:17:21 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 02:52:25 AM
My advice would be to buy a Silky , and only cry once .

Chris

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 03:20:00 AM
I'm really diggin the Opinel. Anyone else with experience with it. 
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 09:37:02 AM
Cap, can you define your intended usage a bit more?  Are you going to be using it primarily as a backup, or just for smaller stuff you might run into?  Or are you looking for something you can cut up a proper log with?  Stuff that's 6"+ in diameter...

If you're looking for a small folding hand saw, I'll second the rec on the Laplander; don't have one myself, but I've never heard so much as a single bad thing about them. 

For me, a good saw is essential, as my wife and I do a lot of camping with our kids, and backpacking on our own, mostly in national forest and BLM lands.  (We have a wilderness permit so we can camp anywhere we want in those jurisdictions.)

If you want something for real woodcutting, the most inexpensive way to go is probably a 21" Sven Saw.  I've had one for several years now, and just replaced the blade in it this summer.  It's lightweight, easy to use, and has good ergonomics.  I've used mine on logs up to 12" in diameter with no problems.  It does tend to be a little whippy though, so you can't really bear down on it or it'll flex the blade and you'll get a curving cut.

If I had the money, I'd get something like a Silky; particularly a Gomboy, or a Katanaboy... they are awesome, but out of my price range at the moment.  However, my next camp saw is going to be a Trailblazer 'take-down' buck saw.  They make them with either an 18" or a 24" blade.  There are several reviews of them on U-toob.  Overall, they seem like a very well made, well designed, and capable saw.  They also have an optional sheath/holster that can be worn on the belt if you like, but collapsed, the saw is kind of big, and it would be better to put the holster on a pack.  The prices on them vary quite a bit, so shop around before you buy one.  They also have a good amount of room left in them when they're broken down, so you can easily store an extra blade or two in them if you want to carry extras.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 12:14:44 PM
It's intended use would be to take care of smaller stuff I might run into. I'm not looking to cut down any trees.   :D  I am looking for a saw where a 6" log would be in the outer limits of the saws capabilities. 
I'm the milk man!

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 07:35:18 PM
Then go for the Laplander, or another Sierra Saw type of tool. 

You might also want to look at the Wenger Rangers... the saws they have in them are the most massive I've seen on any tool that isn't a dedicated saw...  I've used the saw on my PER 179 to cut through limbs and other stuff that are as thick as the saw blade is long (about 4"), simply by turning the work as I made the cut.  That way you'd get a good saw and the benefits of a SAK too.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 09:29:54 PM

You might also want to look at the Wenger Rangers... the saws they have in them are the most massive I've seen on any tool that isn't a dedicated saw...  I've used the saw on my PER 179 to cut through limbs and other stuff that are as thick as the saw blade is long (about 4"), simply by turning the work as I made the cut.  That way you'd get a good saw and the benefits of a SAK too.

Alright thanks for the great advice Heinz. I will have to take a look at the Laplander.  :tu: I'm very interested in the Wenger Ranger also. Decisions.......Decisions........ :think:
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 11:28:50 PM
Huge fan and owner of of two Bahco Laplander's here :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 09:35:52 PM

Alright thanks for the great advice Heinz. I will have to take a look at the Laplander.  :tu: I'm very interested in the Wenger Ranger also. Decisions.......Decisions........ :think:
You should PM Travis to see if he has anything that would fit your needs.  Also, Knifecenter has a pretty good selection of dedicated folding saws as well.  They have a SOG that's got an 8" blade; I think that's comparable to the Bahco's, IIRC.

Edit: here's a link I found comparing a Bahco to a Silky.  It's a little dated though; I don't think the Silky in it is made anymore.

http://www.oldjimbo.com/Outdoors-Magazine/Bahco-Laplander-VS-Silky-Oyakata.pdf

Edit 2: BTB, don't get a "Sawvivor", I think they're crap.  They're difficult to set up, bulky and heavy for what they are, and you also lose a lot of cutting stroke because the handle places your fingers inside the arc of the saw (unless you like bashing your knuckles into the log you're trying to cut).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 09:55:26 PM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%