Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Back up at home?

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Back up at home?
on: November 28, 2012, 08:52:27 PM
Is there any way to back up the forum to say a home computer for reading offline? I'm sure there is a way to do it page by page, but is this beyond the scope of what "normal" members can do? I'm unsure how to do it, if it can be done at all :(. Any help from mods or owner is helpful. I would love to simply have a copy of all the wealth and knowledge just in case I or the forum go offline. Thanks
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Re: Back up at home?
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 09:11:58 PM
not that I'm aware of...

many years ago (10+) I used to have an app in windows that I could point at a website and it would mirror a copy for offline browsing...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 09:39:47 PM
Any way I can get a copy? Or be allowed to back up once? Thanks

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 10:07:18 PM
I'm just trying it right now .... I have cca 200GB of free space on my desktop so we'll see if it's enough. I'll keep you posted.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 10:08:27 PM
I am unsure how to do this exactly without violating the rules or the like. 

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 01:00:13 AM
It's a little under 3 hours into the process, 1.25GB of data downloaded (including linked pisc from various other hosting sites) and nowhere near finished. I'll. Let it run over night. Or should I stop?

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 01:10:24 AM
I am unsure how to do this exactly without violating the rules or the like.

I would think it is illegal unless you have permission from the forum owner but not sure.  Either way, with pics being posted all over, you will need a big hard drive and lots of time! :)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 02:14:59 PM
After 16 hours and 5.5GB downloaded I'm stopping the mirroring at 15% finished. Too time consuming for me. I know if I'would just download the text it would be much faster but for full experiense I'd want pics too. And downloading lots of pics from various locations slows the process down quite a bit. Too much on a site this size.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 02:26:08 PM
That's a heck of a lot of info!

I wonder what kind of percentage would be classed as "reference data" and actually tool related, rather than us all just larking about  :D :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 03:45:36 AM
Any mod, owner, admin want to chime in?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 12:29:02 PM
Chime in on what specifically.  If you are looking for technical info on how to do it, I can't help you.  If you are looking for permission on whether or not to copy MTO on a regular basis, well, there's another site already doing that... :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 12:41:26 PM
Well aside from what I've already said, if you're worried about the info on the site disappearing, I don't believe Grant has any plans of letting MTO die any time soon. Plus with donations and whatnot it's actually relieved a lot of pressure on him to be able to pay the bills. The size of the site with local images and database is pretty big, hence the issues of downloading it, but you also have to factor in there's a huge amount of off site images linked in posts.

In a nightmare scenario where admins and owner die in a/some horrible accident(s) there will always be Internet Archive wayback mirror...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 12:48:50 PM
That's actually not a bad point- we really don't have anyone to take over here if something were to happen to me.  I suppose I should start making arrangements just in case.... I mean we have a few plans but nothing really solid.

We back up the site but not the guy who pays the bills!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 12:52:34 PM
to be fair, between Esteban, You and myself we all have access to site backups and whatnot and we're on 3 different continents... very unlikely all 3 of us would have something bad happen at the same time...

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 02:09:22 PM

I already sent this to Steve but there it is for general public.

The backups done regularly here are of the site itself only, right? The written data and attached files.

The program I was using downloads everything, banners, avatars, signature pics, attached files, hotlinked images and embedded images. It's like you're browsing the site, but offline from locally stored files.

If you have the time and disk space, go for it, but it will take you several days. Cause it retrieves small files from all over the web it doesn't do it at full speed, I was getting 30kb/s most of the time.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 02:35:44 PM
The app I used to use in the old days had an option to only download local files (within the same domain/directory) and therefore omit all the advertising and off site stuff...

Something very drastic would have to happen for us to axe the sites completely... and before that would happen there would probably be some opportunities to carry the torch if needed.

Our server is well backed up daily on a separate machine, and we are also implementing complete off site backups in case of total disaster recovery required.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Back up at home?
Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 05:51:12 PM
I will give it a try. Nothing to loose and far too much to gain :). It would be nice to be able to read it all anytime I chose to. Just in case I loose my Internet or a power failure. I have a backup power supply for these things so that is the reason I want to do this. I have plenty of space. I think 50 terabytes should be plenty ;) 

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 07:35:32 PM
Unless you find a somewhat sophisticated mirroring program, you'll probably end up downloading several versions of each page; imagine downloading all "reply" and "quote" links as well, plus all other per-post buttons, plus the per-post links in addition to the paged thread text, and so on. If anything, you -- and the mto server -- will be better off asking Whoey or Micah to send you a compressed db dump (excluding user account info etc.) and restoring it on your local computer. If you want to go the extra mile then, download/follow all outgoing links from your local copy, and update the thread text in the db to point to your downloaded content. All in all, not that practical and/or feasible imho...

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 12:55:33 AM
that's not really feasible either...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Re: Back up at home?
Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 02:52:21 AM
That's actually not a bad point- we really don't have anyone to take over here if something were to happen to me.  I suppose I should start making arrangements just in case.... I mean we have a few plans but nothing really solid.

We back up the site but not the guy who pays the bills!   :ahhh

Def

Just to follow up on the offshoot of the conversation, I can safely kick the bucket now. We have a plan in place for that.  :P

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%