Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What did you use your Sak on today?

colt 1911 · 10819 · 581293

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Re: What did you use your Sak on today?
Reply #6270 on: May 03, 2019, 01:08:52 PM
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #6271 on: May 03, 2019, 05:54:38 PM
Having some cake...

Much better than golf!  :like:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

00 Offline One more SAK

• New User
Reply #6272 on: May 06, 2019, 06:22:48 PM
Don't you love nail guns?
I work in a Emergency Department at a suburban Melbourne hospital and occasionally we see the odd worker from a local construction site who has presented to us with a nail embedded in a part of their body that they were not intentionally aiming their nail gun at.
In this case a nurse asked me for my Victorinox Spirit XC that she remembered I had used to loosen a I.V line connection a few days ago and having nothing really suitable at hand for this procedure, I guess she must have thought the Spirits needle nose pliers would be perfect for this particular situation.
So the doctor extracted that pesky nail with my Spirit and after a Tetanus shot and script for some antibiotics our patient was sent home feeling much better.  :tu:
P.S The patient was kind enough to let me take photo of the procedure also! 
nail removed with my Swiss Spirit.JPG
* nail removed with my Swiss Spirit.JPG (Filesize: 75.77 KB)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 06:29:46 PM by One more SAK »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #6273 on: May 06, 2019, 06:30:07 PM
Ouch !!! Great use of the pliers  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #6274 on: May 06, 2019, 07:24:23 PM
Great MT usage shot - best I've seen all year!  :like:  :like:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

gb Offline fred2892

Reply #6275 on: May 07, 2019, 01:27:36 AM
Now that’s a calendar pic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline Kraken

Reply #6276 on: May 07, 2019, 04:33:19 PM
Although nowhere near as exciting as One more SAK's post, I got to save the day, or part of it at least, last night when my wife was cooking dinner. Our can opener decided to quit just as she tried opening a can of tomato sauce and asked for help. After verifying that the can opener was a lost cause, I went to the utility drawer in the kitchen, you know the one where all the odds and ends end up, and grabbed the CT-41 (a.k.a. The Blue Max, on account of the blue sapphire scales) and called my six year old over for a quick lesson. I opened the can opener on the SAK and showed him how to open a can the ‘old fashioned’ way. All of this in about 30 seconds and dinner was back on track. I don’t know about you, but I get excited when I get to use my SAK to fix things. It’s a minor validation for this slight obsession I have!
 :climber:
Semper Fortis

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #6277 on: May 07, 2019, 04:45:08 PM
Great work Kraken  :like: :tu:
It just shows why a can opener on a SAK is still a good idea  :cheers:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #6278 on: May 07, 2019, 06:13:08 PM
Nothing wrong with a SAK obsession. I hide the can opener to have an excuse to use mine.  :facepalm:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #6279 on: May 07, 2019, 07:29:23 PM
Nothing wrong with a SAK obsession. I hide the can opener to have an excuse to use mine.  :facepalm:

:rofl: :rofl: :like:

us Offline Kraken

Reply #6280 on: May 07, 2019, 07:46:01 PM
Great work Kraken  :like: :tu:
It just shows why a can opener on a SAK is still a good idea  :cheers:

Thanks Wspeed!

That is deceitful, nefarious and dare I say, absolute genius!  :hatsoff: I may just have to take my sweet time replacing the defective can opener. >:D
Semper Fortis

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6281 on: May 07, 2019, 08:55:40 PM
I got to save the day, or part of it at least, last night when my wife was cooking dinner. Our can opener decided to quit just as she tried opening a can of tomato sauce and asked for help.  I went to the utility drawer in the kitchen, you know the one where all the odds and ends end up, and grabbed the CT-41 (a.k.a. The Blue Max, on account of the blue sapphire scales) and called my six year old over for a quick lesson. I opened the can opener on the SAK and showed him how to open a can the ‘old fashioned’ way. All of this in about 30 seconds and dinner was back on track. I don’t know about you, but I get excited when I get to use my SAK to fix things. It’s a minor validation for this slight obsession I have!
 :climber:

Great use of the can opener and nice quick lesson for your six year old Kraken! :cheers:

I prefer using a Victorinox can opener to any other can openers. :D

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #6282 on: May 10, 2019, 09:31:28 AM
I prefer suspension carry for my SAKs and trying the Swiss Champ with jeans today. The pockets are more generous so the Champ rides OK, but the pockets are short so the Champ rests partly at the bottom of the pocket.

Chain needs to be shorter. And yes, I could have just moved the split-ring down the chain...but then I’d have no fun.  :facepalm:

Time to deploy the Champ’s super tweezers! But he did need some help from my Charge. The needle nose design made the job a pleasure.  :tu:

Now I know why it’s important to carry multiple tools. Here’s a good example of cooperation.  :salute:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #6283 on: May 10, 2019, 12:46:18 PM
Nice job Max  :like: :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #6284 on: May 10, 2019, 03:15:29 PM
Thanks WS  :hatsoff:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6285 on: May 10, 2019, 06:09:12 PM
Nicely done Max! :like: :tu: :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #6286 on: May 10, 2019, 07:00:42 PM
Thanks VICMAN  :hatsoff:

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #6287 on: May 11, 2019, 04:53:59 PM

Guess what happened next!   :drool:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #6288 on: May 11, 2019, 05:15:29 PM
Nice  :drool: :drool:

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #6289 on: May 12, 2019, 04:15:42 AM
The Pioneer is the perfect tool for centering cantilever mountain bike brakes.

--
'Buzz

us Offline cody6268

Reply #6290 on: May 12, 2019, 04:51:01 AM
Don't you love nail guns?
I work in a Emergency Department at a suburban Melbourne hospital and occasionally we see the odd worker from a local construction site who has presented to us with a nail embedded in a part of their body that they were not intentionally aiming their nail gun at.
In this case a nurse asked me for my Victorinox Spirit XC that she remembered I had used to loosen a I.V line connection a few days ago and having nothing really suitable at hand for this procedure, I guess she must have thought the Spirits needle nose pliers would be perfect for this particular situation.
So the doctor extracted that pesky nail with my Spirit and after a Tetanus shot and script for some antibiotics our patient was sent home feeling much better.  :tu:
P.S The patient was kind enough to let me take photo of the procedure also!

Great use! And that's why nail guns freak me out, even though I use them all the time. We've been using finish nailers modelling house, and I've handled that thing with more caution than a loaded firearm.

On another note, I'm surprised they don't make a big fuss over MTs at the hospital you work at. The two main hospitals here have signs everywhere against carrying a pocketknife, even at the outpatient/doctor's offices run by them. One clinic (which my grandmother's doctor is in) is extra sneaky in that they put the sign "NO WEAPONS OF ANY KIND"  inside the main entrance. I've got to the point that if I'm belt carrying, and waiting on my folks at that doctor, and i have to use the restroom, I just go to the fast food restaurant a mile down the road. At least my doctor, who runs his own office, really doesn't care; whether it be some guy concealed carrying; or me unloading my EDC when I get weighed.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #6291 on: May 12, 2019, 12:19:28 PM
The Pioneer is the perfect tool for centering cantilever mountain bike brakes.

Great use Buzz  :like: :tu:

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #6292 on: May 12, 2019, 05:50:08 PM
Bathroom cabinet door hinge closing spring broke and the middle door did not close flush.  So instead of buying a new cabinet (like my wife suggested) I bought this magnetic catch and put it on.

I had intended to use the Pioneer X exclusively, but I needed the extra reach of the LM Style long driver/file.

Here's the magnetic part installed.  That SAK awl is great for making starting holes for screws.

And here is the opposite part.  I lined it up by placing it on the magnets, painting it with a Sharpie, and closing the door --- this left a mark on the door for me so I knew where to use the SAK awl to drill my starting holes.

I still have one magnetic catch left, so if anyone wants a cabinet door fixed, PM me   ;)

And, considering what I saved by not having to buy a new cabinet, I wonder if I can convince my wife that the money should go toward a new MT?  ::)

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #6293 on: May 12, 2019, 06:06:23 PM
Great work BP :like: :tu:
Worth trying for a new MT good luck  :cheers:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #6294 on: May 12, 2019, 08:13:59 PM
Good usage BP.  :like: anyone who does not know what an awl is good for does not do DIY with a SAK.   :tu:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #6295 on: May 14, 2019, 08:02:26 PM
I used my Outrider's cap lifter to pry the old 120V power outlet cover off the center console of the Ford Escape, and replace it with a new one; which snapped right on. Why should I have to go to the dealer for such a trivial task?  The only thing I did was cause a few small tool marks on the plastic of the console; but the new cover hid most of those.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #6296 on: May 14, 2019, 08:12:44 PM
Good work cody  :like: :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #6297 on: May 14, 2019, 10:20:31 PM
I used my Outrider's cap lifter to pry the old 120V power outlet cover off the center console of the Ford Escape, and replace it with a new one; which snapped right on. Why should I have to go to the dealer for such a trivial task?  The only thing I did was cause a few small tool marks on the plastic of the console; but the new cover hid most of those.

Good usage.  :like:

...did not invalidate your warranty?  :pok:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #6298 on: May 14, 2019, 11:32:45 PM
Good usage.  :like:

...did not invalidate your warranty?  :pok:

Being as it was just a small trim piece, I would assume it would not. And I don't think anyone will notice what I did.  There was nothing electrical even connected to it--basically it was the automotive equivalent of a switch plate cover. But I did delay putting it in for 3 months, in part because of that. As, I figured if they messed up, it would be on them to fix their mistake. If I goofed up, it was all on me.  But I was waiting on my folks to get their hair cut, and had absolutely nothing better to do, so I just put the part on while I was waiting.  And the Ford dealer the car came from is a half-hour away, wasted trip for just a small trim piece that isn't really a problem other than looking bad broken.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #6299 on: May 15, 2019, 06:14:24 PM
As of this morning, I've already used my SwissChamp for the following:

Worked on some wall trim that wasn't quite cut to fit near a drawer. It had to be cut out to allow the kitchen cabinet drawer drawer to clear it, but not enough. I've been cutting a lot of it away, but used the chisel this time. I was surprised at how well it worked, especially on a 20 year old secondhand SwissChamp.
Used the saw to cut some notches into the deflector of the riding lawnmower deck. My grandfather likes to keep it up; and uses two rubber tie-downs to do so, but it slips off. I'd put two in the left side last season, but needed to put some on the right today.
Cut weed eater string with the scissors.
Sharpened the ends of the line with the pen blade. The head I put on my FS38 is a quick-load one, and according to the service rep, sharpening the ends makes them slot inside to lock into place better before spooling it inside the weed eater.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%