Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Newbie question

Offline Jaybee64

• New User
Newbie question
on: December 02, 2006, 12:23:47 AM
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a Powerlock to replace my Wave.  I especially like the idea that you can add tools to the body.  I've got a thought on what I'd like but before dropping any cash I thought I'd come to the experts to see if my idea's feasible.

The one thing I don't like about all multitools is the presence of one (or more blades) - blade quality varies and living in the UK you have to a bit cautious about carrying a locking blade - even if its attached to a set of pliers.  I prefer carrying a seperate good knife (a Boker Wharcom is on its way).

So here's what I'd like to do - I like the screwdrivers, the bit adaptor, the file, the saw - I'd also like a V-cutter.  What I'd like to do is replace the knife blade with the scissors - is this possible?

I'd welcome any advice.

JB

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Newbie question
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 12:39:43 AM
This is very possible.  That has been one of SOG's main selling features for a while.  In fact, they sell a number of replacement tools that you can use to customize your PowerLock (or other model) so you aren't using a tool with "wasted" space where a tool was removed.

Leatherman also offers a tool without a blade that is designed to be NTSA friendly, although I personally wouldn't chance it, and I'd keet the multi in my checked luggage.

I am sure someone will fill in the details on each shortly.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 01:14:48 AM
Welcome to Multitool.org Jaybee64!
You should have no difficulties whatsoever in exchanging the knife blade for scissors on a PowerLock. The scissors are available directly from SOG, and come with easy-to-follow instructions. I'm not certain, but I think I paid less than $8.00 U.S. for mine. (I haven't gotten around to installing them yet.)

* SS.jpg (Filesize: 82.22 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 01:21:48 AM
Bad news/Good news

Bad news:
The SOG PowerLock comes with not one, but TWO locking knife blades. A plain edge drop point, and a fully serrated sheepsfoot. Both are in the same handle.

Good News:
The scissor accessory is double-wide, and needs to replace TWO tools, not just one.

Ain't it great how things work out sometimes?

* ss2.jpg (Filesize: 77.37 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 01:35:34 AM
Hi

So here's what I'd like to do - I like the screwdrivers, the bit adaptor, the file, the saw - I'd also like a V-cutter.  What I'd like to do is replace the knife blade with the scissors - is this possible?

I'd welcome any advice

The PowerLock S62 has a "V cutter" in it already and has just one knife blade ( 50/50  serrated and plain edge ).

I am going to replace the 1/4" drive with a set of scissors.  I would like to swap out the 50/50 blade and put in the two separate blades, replacing the wood saw blade and 50/50 blade.  There are 2 blades on the ParaTool - however they are not listed on the SOG Replacement Tool Order Form. I'll call them Monday.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 01:51:42 AM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

Offline Jaybee64

• New User
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 12:06:37 PM
Thanks for the info guys - looks like I'll be heading into SOG world.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 03:07:28 PM
Best of luck!

...and don't forget to come back here and tell us all how it went!

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 06:12:13 PM
Sorry to hear that in the UK they are crackin down on what tools have blades...or blade laws in general, it's a real shame. You could create a SOG tool like the Powerlock so it has nothing but tools and no blades, but I personally would go for something a little smaller like a pocket power plier, deluxe model if you got to have the 1/4 driver for sure.

David

Offline Jaybee64

• New User
Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 07:02:49 PM
Black oxide EOD Powerlock enroute - my GF has bought me one + a SOG Fusion tomahawk for Christmas - bit sad it hasn't arrived yet  :( but I'll have my Boker Wharcom to play with  :) - now wish I'd seen the tiger-striped version - oh well.  Any recommendations on the best place to get the v-cutter - I've emailed SOG already but no response.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 08:34:48 PM
SOG should get back to you- probably just a little backed up for the holidays.  Unless you are in a hurry, I'd suggest giving them a chance first, especially since I am not certain where else to go for tools.

Lucky bugger, by the way!  Looks like that girlfriend is a keeper!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 11:32:08 PM
Theres something about that photo which I really like , dont know what it is  ??? It could almost have U.S Navy 1942 stamped on the corner of the letter if you know what I mean . Did you take the pic ? if you did I really like your style .

Dunc

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 12:17:43 AM
Which photo Dunc?

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006, 12:25:13 AM
Which photo Dunc?

The first one , maybe its the black tool on the paper that does it . Great stuff .

Dunc

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: December 24, 2006, 01:07:17 AM
Yah, I remember that one.....kind of funny actually. I was in a hurry, and grabbed the white instruction sheet to place under the black tool to give it some contrast. Simple laziness. Then I snapped a quick shot, posted it, and left for an appointment.

Ironic that the pictures I take on the fly seem to be better than the ones I spend a lot of time fussing over.  :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: December 24, 2006, 02:26:44 AM
Everything works better when you aren't trying...

Def

Offline Steel Blade

Reply #15 on: December 24, 2006, 03:06:14 PM

Def

That is pure Zen , Def
Y

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: December 24, 2006, 03:30:27 PM
Yeah, once in a while I try not to be quite so shallow!

Def

Offline Jaybee64

• New User
Re: Newbie question - update
Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006, 07:24:21 PM
I've just called SOG customer care and spoken with a very helpful guy called Jose.  No problem ordering a V-cutter and wrench kit - when I said I was planning on replacing the blade he immediately said he'll send a couple of teflon washers so I can re-space the tools more easily - thats what I call service :D

us Offline Splat

Reply #18 on: December 31, 2006, 03:25:52 AM

Reminds me of the academician, Homer Simpson....... "If something is to hard to do, then it’s not worth doing."  :D
Splat

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: December 31, 2006, 03:38:01 AM
That's a good one!  :laugh:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%