Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do you mind the weight of a large multitool?

Offline alanmoortician

on: December 30, 2012, 06:19:46 AM
I recently bought a Leatherman Surge, and to say that I’m quite fond of it is a huge understatement. I adore this tool. Like my smartphone, I feel like it’s become an upgrade to my body - a part I wasn’t born with but later added. Before purchasing, however, I did have my doubts - mainly due to how much it weighs. Several reviewers placed the Surge’s weight in the CON section of the comparison scale, which concerned me.

After buying the LM Surge and EDC’ing it for about two weeks, I can say with absolute honesty that the weight of this tool does not bother me. I’m not a very large dude (5’6, 145lbs) so it puzzles me how other taller/bulkier folks would have a problem with this thing. I’d go as far as to say that the weight is comforting - reminding me that it’s there.

I thought about it more, and realized that people who rely on their tools don’t typically mind their weight. Does a swordsman concern herself with the heft of her blade? Does a scoundrel mind the weight of the laser pistol to his side? I’d think not - I’d think it becomes a part of him, and when he has to pull it out to shoot an alien bounty hunter in a spaceport cantina, he places it back in it’s holster where the weight of his tool dissolves mentally - he accepts it as a part of his body.

Sorry to geek out on you guys.

TL:DR - I don’t mind a heavy multitool. What do you guys think?

us Offline stealth007s

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Re: Do you mind the weight of a large multitool?
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 06:24:20 AM
I EDC the MUT and love it!¡! If weight were an issue to me I would not carry other stuff just to carry that.
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 08:39:05 AM
My EDC is a LM P4, my two "tool packs" (Surge, Crunch plus bits, drivers, sockets etc) live in my Van and my Car.  They are usually pretty close by if I ever need to do something that my P4 can't handle.

So I guess my answer is "Yes"
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 08:43:37 AM
I hate carrying heavy tools, as I do not like hanging stuff from my belt or having them in my pockets.  In the summer I will wear shorts, so with a surge they will be falling down.

In the winter tracksuits (same problem) or jeans (not much space).

Even in my cargo style shorts bigger tools annoy me as they seem to limit my movement and I rarely carry a bag of any sort.
Usually I will have bigger multitools in the car or in my camera bag, if I carry it.

The Juice S2/Vic Huntsman seems to be the limit for me. If I am going somewhwere far away from the car then I will rather take a light fixed blade (Mora) than a bigger multitool.

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 08:48:10 AM
I oddly don't like carrying much in my pockets and even chose my phone based on its size,most of my larger mt's get carried in my backpack and pocket wise is between my p4 or tinker,the only mt I pocket carry is my bladeless ppp with pocket clip combined with my Opinel #5

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 09:32:48 AM
The weight was a problem for me, because i carry a lot of things with me.
But when i realized the usefulness of my SwissTool, i gladly accept the extra weight in my bag.
As stealth007s said, i took out other stuff just to carry that.
 :multi:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 09:34:23 AM by MARIOS7319 »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 10:01:00 AM
I'll pocket carry something Spirit/MP400/Fuse sized, but anything larger needs to be bag carried for me

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 02:05:36 PM
If I was that concerned about carrying extra weight I'd probably do something about my own before I worried about my multitool's.   ::)

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 02:09:22 PM
As I tend to belt carry my full sized MT's the weight doesn't bother me TBH.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 03:58:49 PM
If I was that concerned about carrying extra weight I'd probably do something about my own before I worried about my multitool's.   ::)

Def

Yes but your own weight is perfectly distributed and not supported by your trousers.... (Maybe just controlled by them)    :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 06:22:12 PM
First off... do not fear showing geeky tendencies. I've discovered these boards are very geek tolerant. I believe there is a discussion of where Batman carries his MT on his utility belt raging on the boards at this very moment...

As for weight ... I have a weird need to get best weight to function, so I tend to like smaller and lighter tools. Currently carrying a Vic Farmer and Rambler, and Sheffield keychain size plier based tool. Lots of function but not very heavy duty, weight about 6 oz total.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 06:51:11 PM
Like everything else in life, its a cost:benefit thing.  If the benefit of a large MT (utility, fun, being prepared, don't have to walk to the toolbox, etc.) outweights the cost (weight, size, bulk, low back pain), then we carry one.

I love the big MTs, especially the Core and Swisstool, but its just not worth the weight for me.  I carry tons of other EDC stuff, and there is only so much space in my pockets and on my belt.  Plus, I like to minimize the size of me EDC loadout.  Its another cost:benefit thing.

However, just to honor this thread I think I'll go slap on a Swisstool for a while.  Rock on.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 07:27:31 PM
I belt carry all my full size MT's as well, but to be honest the weight of the larger tools DOES get to me after a while.  I like them an all, but I get all the function I need(probably more than I need) with a standard 4 inch tool so I don't feel the need to carry a Surge or Swisstool.  My Wave does all I need.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 09:35:31 PM
I lasted about an hour with the Swisstool on my belt, and then went back to a Juice S2 + Victorinox Manager in the pocket.  So much better.  If I were a "workin' man" who needed a big MT, I could deal with it.  I just don't have to.

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 10:30:27 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Very cool image power noodle!¡! Is that as a processing effect or a fisheye lens?

Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 01:47:25 AM
Or a good reason to call the warranty department?   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 03:15:49 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Terry

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 03:33:10 AM
I EDC the Surge & or Super Tool 300 and have no problem with the weight. I like having the capability of the full size Multitool and find its weight worth it.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 06:26:20 PM
Like all things multitool, they are a compromise between function and convenience.  The more convenient it is (ie lighter, smaller etc) the less function and vice versa.  the skill comes in finding a balance between the two that suits you.

Def

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 07:05:36 PM
Initially the weight of my full size multitools didn't bother me at all.  Once I started getting into SAKs though, that changed a bit.  The weight of my Charge became more noticeable once I started carrying only a SAK at home, but I love my full size multis, and want one on me most times.  The Juice S2 is a good compromised balance between weight and function, and works well paired with a SAK.  In the summer I prefer either the Juice S2 or a SAK when wearing shorts. 

I have also recently discovered the idea of carrying the multis in my back pocket next to my wallet, and I don't really notice the weight at all.  Plus that frees up my front pocket for a couple SAKs  :D  So now I have either my Charge, Rebar or Spirit in the back pocket, and a couple SAKs in the change pocket inside my right front pocket, therefore providing me with a few options to tinker with :tool:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 07:21:31 PM
I also meant to say that I don't prefer to wear it on my belt as it would look a little odd at my job (I work at a bank) and I would probably get some strange looks.  Besides, I like being able to just reach into a pocket if I need to use/play with my multitool, instead of having to hear the loud sound created by the velcro of the sheath. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 08:03:00 PM
I also meant to say that I don't prefer to wear it on my belt as it would look a little odd at my job (I work at a bank) and I would probably get some strange looks.  Besides, I like being able to just reach into a pocket if I need to use/play with my multitool, instead of having to hear the loud sound created by the velcro of the sheath.

That's what you say

:rofl: :rofl:

Seriously though, I totally get what you're saying. I had an incident that people freaked out because a bunch of people pulled out pocket knives at a Christmas party to help a lady open a gift. I live in Texas where EVERYONE carries a knife(s) and a gun(s). Still don't understand what all the commotion was about.

Sent from Endor using Schlapatalk

Terry

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 08:06:25 PM
I don't understand it either,  I have people freak out when I pull out a SAK, let alone my BO Wave.  That one really scares folks.  If I flip open a tactical folder folks start saying things.  And I live in Montana, you'd think folks here would be just like folks should be in Texas but they aren't. 

When I lived in Texas I never had any issues, most folks there DO carry knives, and more than you think are packing a gun too. 

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 09:31:21 PM
On a belt no , in a pocket , yes . In a Man Bag , it doesn't matter .

Chris

Offline alanmoortician

Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 09:54:52 PM
I don't understand it either,  I have people freak out when I pull out a SAK, let alone my BO Wave.  That one really scares folks.  If I flip open a tactical folder folks start saying things.  And I live in Montana, you'd think folks here would be just like folks should be in Texas but they aren't. 

When I lived in Texas I never had any issues, most folks there DO carry knives, and more than you think are packing a gun too.

Something like that happened the other day. I pulled out my surge to help a friend open one of those tough/annoying transparent plastic containers they put headphones in and he was just like "Dude... do you just carry that thing around everywhere? The cops don't care?"

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 10:04:45 PM

Something like that happened the other day. I pulled out my surge to help a friend open one of those tough/annoying transparent plastic containers they put headphones in and he was just like "Dude... do you just carry that thing around everywhere? The cops don't care?"

Wow.  This is what our world has come to. 

us Offline Yalius

Reply #26 on: January 01, 2013, 01:45:22 AM

Similar thing happened to me in Portland, of all places. Home of Leatherman, but I used a Surge to open a bottle of Coke and the girl behind the counter asked me if I needed to use "that machete" (her words, not mine). What kind of sheltered life must some people live?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: January 01, 2013, 01:50:33 AM
I had that reaction with a Vic Soldier once.  Someone asked me if it was legal for me to carry it.  It's a Swiss Army Knife for cripes' sake.  I always want to ask people if being that stupid is legal....  :facepalm:

Def

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #28 on: January 01, 2013, 02:52:37 AM

That's what you say

:rofl: :rofl:

Seriously though, I totally get what you're saying. I had an incident that people freaked out because a bunch of people pulled out pocket knives at a Christmas party to help a lady open a gift. I live in Texas where EVERYONE carries a knife(s) and a gun(s). Still don't understand what all the commotion was about.

Sent from Endor using Schlapatalk

Haha, good one bud :rofl:  I didn't even catch that as I typed it :) 

K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #29 on: January 01, 2013, 02:58:20 AM

Similar thing happened to me in Portland, of all places. Home of Leatherman, but I used a Surge to open a bottle of Coke and the girl behind the counter asked me if I needed to use "that machete" (her words, not mine). What kind of sheltered life must some people live?

Wow, seriously?  Machete?  Wow.  That's sad.  I like machetes :)  But anyway, I'm in Maine and plenty of people carry knives, but I doubt many in the banking industry do, so I prefer to avoid carrying OHO blades at work.  I find people don't feel as scared or threatened or don't look at you like a "machete" wielding maniac if it looks more like a tool item instead of a weapon, but it's still ridiculous how some people react. 
K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD