Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Michael Vagnino Zipslip

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Michael Vagnino Zipslip
on: January 02, 2013, 10:58:09 PM
My latest slippy and first folder from a custom knifemaker

The Zipslip has a thick hollow ground D2 blade which gives a nice toothy bite to the edge and should develop a nice patina in time

The blade shape itself is a good robust spearpoint with plenty of belly for good all round EDC use

The scales are G10 with a smooth finish, but the grooves allow a good positive purchase on the knife

The Zipslip uses the "Everflush" system designed in a collaberation with fellow knifemaker Tom Ferry, and effectively uses a hidden integral backspring. This means the spine of the knife stays smooth and flush when you'd otherwise expect backsprings to shart protruding

The deep carry clip keeps the knife out of sight of the terminally worried around us, whilst still allowing good access when needed

The ball bearing pivot gives a very smooth action, and whilst the backspring doesn't lock up as strongly as I would have expected, the finger groove at the choil ensure safety in use. Another unexpected aspect was the slight agricultural look to the tang. I had expected a little more aesthetic refinement in this area, but it doesn't impare the action or use of the knife

All said, I'm very happy with this and glad I've finally found a custom folder I was happy to hand over the readies for  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Michael Vagnino Zipslip
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 11:10:13 PM
That's looovely mate. :drool:  Looking forward to seeing that one at some point. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 11:14:55 PM
Oh .... for those who it may concern, due to the ball bearing pivot, heavy blade and moderate backspring - this knife does NOT pass the Aussie Customs Test (grip tightly flail your arms around like a lunatic to try and get the blade to come out), which I believe also applies on the streets of some cities in the US  :think:

It's possible it may just be my knife and the next one may be more (or less I suppose) retentive, and you do have to really try to get the blade out that way on this one, but it is possible so I thought I'd best raise it for those with the relevant restrictions  :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 11:16:01 PM
That's looovely mate. :drool:  Looking forward to seeing that one at some point. :cheers:

Thanks Gareth  :tu:

I suspect my Byrd Tern might not be my favourite slippy for much longer  :P :D :D :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 11:18:25 PM

Thanks Gareth  :tu:

I suspect my Byrd Tern might not be my favourite slippy for much longer  :P :D :D :D
You mentioned that you'd used your Edgie for something earlier and I have to admit I'd not given mine a second thought in a long time. :-[  I suspect you might have a similar bought of amnesia now you've got this in your sweaty mitts.  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 11:21:58 PM
Oh .... for those who it may concern, due to the ball bearing pivot, heavy blade and moderate backspring - this knife does NOT pass the Aussie Customs Test (grip tightly flail your arms around like a lunatic to try and get the blade to come out), which I believe also applies on the streets of some cities in the US  :think:

It's possible it may just be my knife and the next one may be more (or less I suppose) retentive, and you do have to really try to get the blade out that way on this one, but it is possible so I thought I'd best raise it for those with the relevant restrictions  :salute:

I recall that Flash had an issue importing a UKPK to the UK.  Stopped at customs as a 'gravity' knife. :rant:  Happily the wording in the description of a gravity knife very specifically states that it 'locks' open, so Flash was able to successfully argue that the UKPK couldn't fall into that description.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 11:28:20 PM

I recall that Flash had an issue importing a UKPK to the UK.  Stopped at customs as a 'gravity' knife. :rant:  Happily the wording in the description of a gravity knife very specifically states that it 'locks' open, so Flash was able to successfully argue that the UKPK couldn't fall into that description.

That's an interesting piece of clarification   :D Thanks mate  :tu:

Obviously that may or may not apply to those of you who are bound by different laws  :salute:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 11:34:00 PM

That's an interesting piece of clarification   :D Thanks mate  :tu:

Obviously that may or may not apply to those of you who are bound by different laws :salute:
Yes, indeed.

From Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959
"b)any knife which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force and which, when released, is locked in place by means of a button, spring, lever, or other device, sometimes known as a “gravity knife”,"

As Al says though, this is a UK Law only and it's always makes sense in checking your local definitions. :)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 11:38:48 PM
Now that, I like :drool:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 11:40:26 PM
Very nice choice.

Do you something custom made, or is that one of his current standard offerings?
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 11:45:47 PM
Yes, indeed.

From Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959
"b)any knife which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force and which, when released, is locked in place by means of a button, spring, lever, or other device, sometimes known as a “gravity knife”,"

As Al says though, this is a UK Law only and it's always makes sense in checking your local definitions. :)

Thanks mate  :tu:

Now stop pissing on my "I'm really happy with my sexy new knife thread", with all your doom and gloom and litigation :pok: :pok:

:D :D :D

... but back on the topic of the Edgie ... :D ... I only grabbed that this morning as I went for the Byrd Tern automatically and stopped myself to intentionally carry something that hadn't seen the light of day for a while. Ironically I think I might just be carrying it or something similar for a while yet. I don't think I'm ready to subject my new one to all the gunge, grime and chemicals of the workplace just yet  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Now that, I like :drool:
Very nice choice.

Do you something custom made, or is that one of his current standard offerings?

Thanks guys  :tu:

Chrissy, it was actually off the shelf - tucked away in the custom knife section at Heinnies  :D No more orange, but there might be another colour  :think: There's some odd clip blade style ones too ... and I think in the Tom Ferry section there's a UK legal Carbon Fibre one, but not sure if that's the same mechanism without checking

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 11:57:33 PM
That certainly is  :drool: . Very nice Al!  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 02:16:27 PM
Thanks Tom  :tu:

I was actually comparing this knife with an original (Black G10) UKPK last night, specifically in terms of blade size/thickness and overall appearance. The Zipslip is about the same size as regards edge length, but looks a lot more "civilian" in my mind (less scary for the non-knife person).

I need to test the "acceptability" of this amongst NKPs somehow to see if it get's the "oh that's a nice pocket knife" response, or the "OMG run away, run away" response  >:D I also need to make the test won't get it confiscated  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Also ...

I know D2 is classed as an "almost" stainless steel having 11.5-12.0Cr dependent on the manufacturer .... but how much do I need to pamper this blade so I don't wreck it? Will it corrode as badly as say 1075 if I don't mother it? I bought this to use it, and don't want to have to be too cautious, but don't want to wreck it in 18 months either   :ahhh :ahhh If anyone has long term experience with D2 as a folder I'd be interested to hear  :tu:

Oh ... and I've got my Edgie in my pocket again at work today  :D

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Michael Vagnino Zipslip
Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 04:57:53 PM
You will want to protect that D2, as it will rust and tarnish. I guess if you are into the patina thing, then you needn't bother, but that is a personal preference. ;)

I use mineral oil or a food safe stainless steel cleaner (that is mineral oil based) so I don't have to worry about ingesting more toxins than I already do.

And that is a sharp looking knife, congratulations!

Dave

Sent from my iPad2
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 05:02:17 PM by 16VGTIDave »
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 05:01:27 PM
Thanks Dave  :tu: Would it pick up a patina from cutting apples or whatever for a bit of added protection before I start with the mineral oil, or is the oxidation a much longer term thing?

gb Offline kitbeard

Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 05:16:20 PM
On D2, all I can say I've got a Canal Street Cannitler in D2 and keep it very lightly oiled and have had no hint of any of any problems.  I don't think D2 needs to be as coddled as stuff like 1075 or 1095 in our climate but it is worth checking more regularly than a stainless blade proper if you going to store a D2 knife for a while.  I've also come across complaints that D2 doesn't take a patina easily but I can't verify this from experience.

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Michael Vagnino Zipslip
Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 05:41:52 PM
I had my Kershaw Junkyard Dog with composite blade (CPM-D2 insert) stain from cutting an orange. I disliked the resulting uneven look, so I heated up some vinegar and darkened the entire insert. Now I protect it.

D2 certainly isn't as delicate as a carbon steel, but it will stain. And given encouragement, it will rust. Some people like that kind of thing. They think it gives a knife character or some such thing. I believe that it shows how poorly it has been looked after. As a Canadian in southern Ontario, I see enough rust on our cars, and that isn't the kind of "character" one wants in a vehicle. I certainly don't want my knives rusty. :)

Dave

Sent from my iPad2
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 05:55:03 PM
On D2, all I can say I've got a Canal Street Cannitler in D2 and keep it very lightly oiled and have had no hint of any of any problems.  I don't think D2 needs to be as coddled as stuff like 1075 or 1095 in our climate but it is worth checking more regularly than a stainless blade proper if you going to store a D2 knife for a while.  I've also come across complaints that D2 doesn't take a patina easily but I can't verify this from experience.

Thanks mate  :tu:

I had my Kershaw Junkyard Dog with composite blade (CPM-D2 insert) stain from cutting an orange. I disliked the resulting uneven look, so I heated up some vinegar and darkened the entire insert. Now I protect it.

D2 certainly isn't as delicate as a carbon steel, but it will stain. And given encouragement, it will rust. Some people like that kind of thing. They think it gives a knife character or some such thing. I believe that it shows how poorly it has been looked after. As a Canadian in southern Ontario, I see enough rust on our cars, and that isn't the kind of "character" one wants in a vehicle. I certainly don't want my knives rusty. :)

Dave

Sent from my iPad2

Cheers mate  :D I don't want my knives looking like they've just been recovered from the bottom of the sea  :ahhh but don't mind my knives (and other tools) looking like they work for a living  :D Darkening and staining are perfectly fine in my book, it's the brown furry stuff I don't want  :ahhh Based on your experience with the orange, but Kitbeard's comments that it doesn't take a patina easily, I'm guess the sort of patina I'd expect will happen over a few months rather than overnight  ;)

I'll stop by a pharmacy tonight too and see if they've got some liquid parafin (which is what I believe your mineral oil is over here)  :tu:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 07:26:51 PM
Is it?? Oh...  I hadn't worked that out :think:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 08:03:47 PM
Apparently so, but the local pharmacy hasn't got any  :-\ It seems that if it doesn't come in pill format with excess packaging, a pseudo-latin name and a picture of a fresh happy smiling turd surrounded by mythical flying creatures it isn't worth selling.

Off to Boots to see if they've got any tucked away in and amongst their garishly packaged synthetic panaceas  :whistle:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 10:28:57 PM
... and Boots no longer sell it as it's no longer "recommended" as a laxative. I'm pretty sure it's still available online though  ;)

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 04:09:36 AM

OK it sounds like Oz Customs maybe got their 'Flick knife' test which they refer to a blade being deployed under centrifugal force, from UK Customs  :think: :think: , I had wondered if it was a product of some stupid Aussie pen pusher  :think: :think: , it also explains why Oz customs seems to only be concerned,at this stage  ::) , in locking knives  :think: :think:. Looks like Oz customs has substituted 'gravity knife' for 'flick knife' & use the same crazy wrist flick action of deployment  :think: :think:

BTW Al very nice knife mate  8) 8) :drool: , keen to hear how it holds up , edge retention,cutting,ease of use etc  :tu: :tu:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 08:21:13 AM
Is it?? Oh...  I hadn't worked that out :think:
Yes indeed, though it took me ages to work it out.  This is the stuff I have. :)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 10:10:31 AM
1. You may find parafin in supermarkets too.

2. 50ft-trad try and say " Check out my Vagnino" When drunk....  :rofl:

I have a D2 knife comming so I am quite interested in this thread  :tu:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 10:57:22 AM
1. You may find parafin in supermarkets too.

2. 50ft-trad try and say " Check out my Vagnino" When drunk....  :rofl:

I have a D2 knife comming so I am quite interested in this thread  :tu:

1) I don't think the "medicinal" grade is the same stuff you put in hurricane lamps  ;)
2) I was thinking more "would you like to play with my Vagnino, be careful though, it does bite:D or even .. "If you'll have to excuse me, I need to go oil my Vagnino ... now where's the paraffin ...?"  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :D :D

I'm not likely to wait until drunk to say it though  :P

What knife have you got coming in mate?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 11:07:22 AM
I got some parafin oil, sort of medicinal, thick stuff from my supermarket; not the lamp oil one. I will check later to make sure what it is.

Queen country cousin.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 01:29:13 PM
Another soddie? I take it you quite like them  ;)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 01:45:48 PM
Another soddie? I take it you quite like them  ;)

I actually do not like them, in actual use  :facepalm:

The only one I am really fond off for some reason is the GEC. I expect the queen, being the size of the Case jr to be too small for me to use, but I will wait and see.
Maybe I need to gift/sell some.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 12:14:28 AM
Thanks for the info chaps.

Now I remember the vet giving a cat liquid paraffin to expedite the removal of a rather large rat she had eaten. We asked if we should let her out. He said he thought that was for the best! :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: January 05, 2013, 12:23:27 AM
 :D A mate of mine years ago warned me not to smoke near the cat when I visited. The poor sod had been on liquid paraffin for a few weeks as it got to the stage of struggling to "go" without it, but had become rather greasy and flammable as a result

I refrained from cracking to old joke of "how do you turn a cat into a dog - cover them in petrol and put a match to them and they go WOOF!"  >:D

I also spotted while shopping for this stuff online that one of them had very specific instructions to not take a dose immediately before going to bed  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD