Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First Swiss Army Knife?

Poll

Sudden Death Poll: Which of these would you recommend for a first SAK?

Climber
10 (29.4%)
Compact
9 (26.5%)
Spartan (Hardwood)
7 (20.6%)
Super Tinker
8 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: January 16, 2013, 01:14:03 AM

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: First Swiss Army Knife?
Reply #60 on: January 11, 2013, 06:00:06 PM
I've got a Compact too. No usable phillips. In a life/death situations, you could diagonally use the tip of the combo tool, but that is so clumsy, you're nearly always better off just going and finding a screwdriver. The Compact has the file on the back of the hook, and also includes the eyeglass screwdriver and a straight pin. But for me, no phillips = no deal.
I've got a Compact too. When I ordered it, I thought it would be the end of my quest. But, I haven't been able to completely bond with it. One reason (evidently not pertinenent to Xelkos' quest)  is that I've discovered the wonders of the saw, and how well it fits with my lifestyle. Another is... I don't need the reamer/awl that often, but when I do, I tend to need it kinda bad. I miss the awl.

[/quote]

I have the Compact as well, and I really like it.  I think it is one of the best all around SAKs, especially for its size.  However, it lacks the phillips as mentioned, which can be a deal breaker for some.  I carry a full size multitool (usually either the Rebar, Spirit or Charge), so I'm covered for screwdrivers, as well as pretty much anything the Compact is lacking.  I so wish I could have gotten a Yeoman as I like the magnifying glass on my Explorer, but it is kind of thick for pocket carry.  I think the Yeoman would have been my "perfect" SAK to go along with whatever multi I carry each day. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #61 on: January 11, 2013, 11:45:14 PM
The Wenger Standard Issue looks like a good no-frills get-er-done knife. Might have to consider it at some point.

Say, what is these 2 critters?

So many options.
Used the selector and it recommended an anchor, err no, Survivor.
Carabiner clip was the debil there!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:48:38 PM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Reply #62 on: January 12, 2013, 12:00:08 AM
Am assuming that anything past 4 layers wouldn't be recommended for pocket-carry?
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline BradGad

Reply #63 on: January 12, 2013, 12:14:51 AM
Say, what is these 2 critters?
(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)
That's the Climber and the Super Tinker...  the two Smaug and I have been going back and forth about.

I know I voted Tinker first time, but the scissors really are excellent...  and three layers is quite manageable. Those two are definitely top tier choices.

I love discussing the minutia of SAKs, and the deliciously agonizing trade offs between models, but really all the two and three layer models are excellent.

Reply #64 on: January 12, 2013, 12:23:23 AM
That's the Climber and the Super Tinker...  the two Smaug and I have been going back and forth about.

I know I voted Tinker first time, but the scissors really are excellent...  and three layers is quite manageable. Those two are definitely top tier choices.

I love discussing the minutia of SAKs, and the deliciously agonizing trade offs between models, but really all the two and three layer models are excellent.

Thank You!

Does the corkscrew ever scrape you, get stuck in your clothing, poke your leg, ect. - otherwise become an annoyance? Leatherman's Juices have this issue, unless you sheath carry them. Also heard the SAK corkscrews can get bent thus becoming an issue.
Still... seems to be either that or a phillips - why not something else?

The hook has it's advantages. Would be better on the end for wire & vacuum line pulling. Guess a T handle was the key use for it.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #65 on: January 12, 2013, 04:34:33 AM
Should have added the Climber to the list me thinks. A bit too late now though.

Thought the pen would be something worth having too. Victorinox Climber in a Blue Sapphire color has caught my attention, though I like the accessories of the Compact.

Of course if I got one with that corkscrew thing... would want a small driver to go in there.

:think:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:53:57 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #66 on: January 12, 2013, 04:47:37 AM
Am assuming that anything past 4 layers wouldn't be recommended for pocket-carry?

IMO, no.  And you may even want to consider 3 layers as your limit, but it's a close call.  I think 4 layers is pocketable, but it does make for a bit of a lump in the pocket. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline BradGad

Reply #67 on: January 12, 2013, 06:45:09 AM
Thank You!

Does the corkscrew ever scrape you, get stuck in your clothing, poke your leg, ect. - otherwise become an annoyance? Leatherman's Juices have this issue, unless you sheath carry them. Also heard the SAK corkscrews can get bent thus becoming an issue.

Still... seems to be either that or a phillips - why not something else?

The hook has it's advantages. Would be better on the end for wire & vacuum line pulling. Guess a T handle was the key use for it.

*Again*, it's really nice to have a chance for back and forth with an open mind. You're the guy who said "I have no use for a corkscrew", right?

So I said, "OK, I won't blastergate you with my lecture about the corkscrew (even though I think there's a strong argument to be made for the corkscrew over the t-mount Phillips, even for non-wine-drinekers)" .... (I'm quoting from memory there... I think I said something like that. And you did too.)

*Anyway* ...  here's the deal about the corkscrew...

No, it never scrapes you, it never gets stuck in your clothing, and -- I swear to God -- it never pokes you in the leg. If we're talking form-factor-downsides, here's what it does: it doesn't feel quite as good in your hand (when it's closed) as the Phillips.

It has only two downsides. 1) When it's closed, it feels slightly (really.. *slightly*) less comfortable in the hand and pocket than the Phillips. 2) Some people (you were recently in this group) have a prejudice against it... they think it looks silly, or ugly, or like a gimmick.

Here are the upsides:

1) It screws corks. It's a corkscrew. Even if you never drink wine, you might be the kind of person who doesn't live in a cave and live on bird nests... you might have a life. You might go on outings or attend gatherings. You might be a part of a human community. And, if it happens that you're at a gathering or on an outing where there is wine but no corkscrew, and you come to the rescue with your SAK!!!!  I swear, it will be a life changing experience. (This does happen.. true story.)

2) It's a killer tool for untieing knots. I have a 50 foot piece of paracord that I use for a ridgeline on my tarp. One time, I made a stupid knot and had to get it untied. I didn't have a SAK with a corkscrew, so I used the awl on my Farmer instead. And... dammit... I cut the rope. That cut.... that wound to my ridgeline... still bugs the hell out me me. I could have, should have, used a tent stake instead, but I didn't think about that.

Anyway, it's a killer tool for loosening stubborn knots.

3) The T-grip back-mount Phillips -- which is your other choice -- is basically useless. It's back-mounted. It can't get at any screw in any kind of a corner. Which is most screws. The small screwdriver on the can opener blade works just fine on Phillips screws. It does way better than the dedicated backside T-mount.

4) It's a grippy/pointy thing. A general purpose tool. Fr'instance, I use it to hold my book open when I'm reading at lunch... I use it to hold the end of my cord when I'm making a paracord bracelet. That's just me, but you get the idea.

4) That means... the backside T-mount Phillips gives you nothing. The can-opener/screwdriver does that job just fine.If you have to choose between two models that are the same except for T-mount Phillips vs corkscrew, you should always choose the corkscrew, even if you don't drink wine... even if you hate wine.

(I have probably just made many enemies by saying this (the T-grip Phillips is basically useless). But I don't care. You asked.)

~~~

I think you need a Climber.

Reply #68 on: January 12, 2013, 07:05:08 AM

Yes, I think so too.  :cheers:  Spartan with its hardwood handles looks good too. /ducks

Good point on the knot issue.
Wonder how one would have discovered the idea of used the corkscrew for that...  :think:

Explorer Plus is on the menu for the future, along with the Standard Issue. Was also amazed at how kayakers prefer the Compact. Me, always best to have two blades over one. If one should ever break there is a backup.

So it is down to brass tacks: Spartan (Hardwood) or Climber.

Edit: Posting the results and going to reset the poll. My apologies, did not realize at how many tools & options there were.
pollResults.jpg
* pollResults.jpg (Filesize: 37.14 KB)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 07:10:49 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #69 on: January 12, 2013, 07:20:40 AM
everyone needs a spartan.. or more, the spartan is the mother of all 91mm saks
custom swiss army knives

us Offline bren10man

Reply #70 on: January 12, 2013, 07:39:46 AM
Champion was my first, and still EDC it, since DEC 1986.

When I am out of uniform, in street clothes, however, I EDC a pre-1982 Grand Prix.

Go with Champion, Craftsman, Field Master, or Troubleshooter or Grand Prix (if you can find one of those, both discontinued).   

I do not drink, so I do not need the corkscrew unless to store mini screwdriver (I wear glasses, so need that from time to time).

MOLON LABE!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #71 on: January 12, 2013, 07:50:48 AM

Yes, I think so too.  :cheers:  Spartan with its hardwood handles looks good too. /ducks

Good point on the knot issue.
Wonder how one would have discovered the idea of used the corkscrew for that...  :think:

Explorer Plus is on the menu for the future, along with the Standard Issue. Was also amazed at how kayakers prefer the Compact. Me, always best to have two blades over one. If one should ever break there is a backup.

So it is down to brass tacks: Spartan (Hardwood) or Climber. (Image removed from quote.)

Edit: Posting the results and going to reset the poll. My apologies, did not realize at how many tools & options there were.

Interesting.  I'm curious why kayakers prefer the Compact, not that it isn't awesome :)  The Exploreris cool too :tu:  Out of the Spartan and Climber, I would vote Climber because I would want scissors.
K-Tibbs

Reply #72 on: January 12, 2013, 08:10:50 AM
Minimalists? Those that want the biggest bang for less weight?

Almost ordered a Climber in blue sapphire, but wasn't sure where to order one. Then saw that Spartan in hardwood last night. Decisions, decisions.

Note: I have wish-listed the Explorer+.  If only the forum had a wishlist per member, but then too that's more bytes. Maybe an incentive for being a member, able to see & share wishlists.  ;)
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #73 on: January 12, 2013, 08:34:51 AM
Minimalists? Those that want the biggest bang for less weight?

Almost ordered a Climber in blue sapphire, but wasn't sure where to order one. Then saw that Spartan in hardwood last night. Decisions, decisions.

Note: I have wish-listed the Explorer+.  If only the forum had a wishlist per member, but then too that's more bytes. Maybe an incentive for being a member, able to see & share wishlists.  ;)

Yeah, that would make sense. 

I have ordered all of my multitools/SAKs on Amazon.  They seem to have the best prices from what I can tell.  I know, it's tough to decide when you have multiple options.  It can be a long process, and then eventually you may end up getting both anyway ;)

I wish I had gotten the Explorer+, but it looks like it's only available in the red scales, and I wanted black.  Yeah, the wishlist per member would be a cool idea :tu:
K-Tibbs

Reply #74 on: January 12, 2013, 12:41:22 PM
Blue Sapphire Climber won me over. Spartan hardwood was a close call.

Thanks All!  :2tu:
¬ Outback in Idaho

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #75 on: January 12, 2013, 01:59:30 PM
Blue Sapphire Climber won me over. Spartan hardwood was a close call.

Thanks All!  :2tu:

You won't regret it!

You'll probably end up buying more models just because you hang around here but you won't regret that purchase. The Climber is a really nice little package! :)

And if you want to expand on it latest on you could buy plus scales and pen to go with them, that's what I did. Plus a pin and a mini driver for the corkscrew. :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 02:11:56 PM by Northern Geek »

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #76 on: January 12, 2013, 06:22:25 PM
good choice!  :cheers:
custom swiss army knives

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #77 on: January 13, 2013, 04:48:38 AM
You'll probably end up buying more models just because you hang around here but you won't regret that purchase. The Climber is a really nice little package! :)

Yeah exactly :tu:  Enjoy the slippery slope to addiction ;)
K-Tibbs

Reply #78 on: January 13, 2013, 05:27:18 AM

Another forum member has offered to enhance that addiction with the second runner up.  :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #79 on: January 13, 2013, 05:36:16 AM

Another forum member has offered to enhance that addiction with the second runner up.  :D

Oh that's cool :tu:  I've found that even after narrowing it down from a few options, I have just ended up with them all eventually :whistle:  Enjoy that one as well if you take that member up on the offer :cheers:
K-Tibbs

Reply #80 on: January 13, 2013, 09:31:05 AM
3 more questions:

1) Can the SAK pen fit into the tweezers slot on the Climber?

2) Can a hardwood Spartan be fitted with a slot for the pen?

3) Any other options for EDCing a pen?
¬ Outback in Idaho

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #81 on: January 13, 2013, 12:28:54 PM
1)  No. Too fat, too long, and the end is the wrong shape.

2) How good are you with a Dremel?

3) Buy a Manager for your key-ring  :)

gr Offline Aleister

Reply #82 on: January 13, 2013, 03:48:56 PM
I like these: http://www.gadgetlife.eu/displayITM2.asp?ITMID=5241

(link is from a random website, I got mine from ebay)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #83 on: January 14, 2013, 01:59:23 AM

I carry a tac-pen, which is a pen with glass breaker on one end, and the cap end is "DNA catcher" crown with an LED bulb inside.  It's a bit larger than a normal pen though, so it may not be ideal for EDC for some. 
K-Tibbs

Reply #84 on: January 15, 2013, 11:02:04 PM
My final decision was of course the Climber.
Second was the Spartan, followed by the Wenger Standard Issue, and finally the Explorer. If had the resources would of ordered them all.  :cheers: My thanks to EVERYONE that helped.  :cheers:

The Climber arrived today! This knife is a bit bigger than I had expected, well... longer. Blades are sharper than Leatherman knives are, but will be going over them with the fine ceramic stones for a cleaner edge. Will be oiling them up too. Scissors, my goodness, these are great.

The notches feel more like a lefty use than a righty. Would be great of nail nicks were on both sides of the tools. Will be a getting used to thing I see.  ;)

Am quite please with it, though have not used it on anything past the scissors. Yet. Also liking them transparent scales. All that is left is to get a small lanyard for it, that would compliment its beauty.  :D
DSC01807.JPG
* DSC01807.JPG (Filesize: 177.91 KB)
DSC01816.JPG
* DSC01816.JPG (Filesize: 267.85 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline colt 1911

First Swiss Army Knife?
Reply #85 on: January 15, 2013, 11:43:59 PM
Nice
CHEERS

Reply #86 on: January 16, 2013, 12:19:03 AM
Tracey, a facebook friend , asked me to look for a pin or pin hole under the corkscrew. Oddly enough there is a hole there, but no pin. He also said the pins were magnetized, for the ol' woodsman compass trick.

Now to find a pin that fits in there. We moved a 4 bedroom house into a 1.5 bedroom trailer 3 years ago. Everything is still in boxes. Don't suppose Wally's World or Kmart has pins in their clothing anymore?
Don't want to spend $3 on a package of pins for just one.  :rofl:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #87 on: January 16, 2013, 04:30:25 AM
One other notation I should add, in case future SAK newbies are looking for coolness factors. For years now we Leatherman enthusiasts have been asking for a 45° locking notch on the large bit drivers. Only a few modders have taken their tools apart to make one.

Well, the Victorinox SAK knife might not have locking blades, but they have the heavy liner springs that suffice quite well. Liner springs are used in just about every pocket knife.

• But how cool would it be to have a 90° screwdriver?

That is cool!  :hatsoff:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:37:33 AM by Grant Lamontagne »
¬ Outback in Idaho

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
First Swiss Army Knife?
Reply #88 on: January 16, 2013, 06:37:17 AM
Climber nylon scales when I was 10, dads gift to me for making it into scouts. Still have it.

Later when I could afford it, a Deluxe Tinker..
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

Reply #89 on: January 17, 2013, 05:47:23 AM
Just happened to see a Climber Plus, but they were in eBay. So loathe eBay for SAK tool as you just never know if it is real or a cheap imitation.

Now am curious if there is a way to replace the scales on my Climber with one that could house a SAK pen, or if I could modify the scales on mine ever so slightly to house one. And if a regular Climber could even use the pen implement if carried by something else? Custom scales perhaps?

Never seen a decent photo of someone using a pen implement on their SAK.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%