Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Custom machined 2.2, 2.5, and 3.0mm pivots barrels for SAK mods

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Re: Custom machined 2.2, 2.5, and 3.0mm pivots barrels for SAK mods
Reply #60 on: February 22, 2013, 06:49:24 AM
Well, wouldn't ya know, as soon as the credit goes back to my account my wife clears it out with a couple purchases from the Coach eBay sale.  Lol
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Quick update and explanation.  The original vendor delayed so many times that it was encrouching on my Paypal refund period.  So I had no choice but to cancel the order.  The local company that I mentioned earlier in the thread has stated that they can make them, but I have yet to have time to make a visit.  The Mrs and Ms will be out of town this weekend, so hopefully I can make a jaunt to the shop.

This time no large orders till I have a few prototypes!

Cheers

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
I'm still interested if you get this up and running...

de Offline chris.customworks

• SAK Modder
If a new prospect is welcome - count me in!
I am very interested in this project and would be happy if I can get some.

Best regards,

Chris

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Ok, I went to the local screw speSmurfpillst shop to discuss the idea more in detail with the owner.  I think it is much more reliable to have a local vendor, but the minimum order is 500 units per pivot size.  When I scoffed at this idea, he told me they would not be expensive (not sure what that means), and he would give me a quote before he started.  Materials would be either brass or 303 stainless (common in fastener industry).  The size I gave him was 20mm double tapped barrels with 4mm untapped in the middle.

303 stainless should be ok, it is not ideal for marine environments though.  Depending on the price, it may be that having a set of spares per knife is suitable.  303 stainless seems common for stainless screws as well. Once he quotes I will check on if its possible to use 316 or 304 stainless.

Another company in China quoted on 303 stainless last year, but I was weary to try (very cheap per unit though, but with minimum 500 order.  It may be that the 2.2 barrels are brass, and the other are steel.  We shall see.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
If anyone has an ideas about the perfect grade of steel to request, I am open to it requesting it.  What is the perfect grade in regards to machinability and corrosion resistance?

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Got a quick quote: total order of 500 units per size (total 1500 units) in brass at ~$1000 usd. The price per unit is not too bad (pretty good in fact), but it is too much for me to layout for such a project.  Sorry guys!  Back to the drawing board.

There was another supplier in China that I can inquire with, but I don't know, China is tricky.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Ok, feelers sent out to another supplier, this one cheaper, but Chinese so perhaps there will be no/flaky response.  At this point I am thinking of starting a Kickstarter for the (local) minimum order of ~$1000. Prices would range from $1 to $1.50 per barrel shipped world wide depending on the order volume.

What do you guys think?   

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Keep in mind that you dont want equal numbers of each.  For 93mm mods, you want 2x 3.0 mm and 1x 2.5 mm.  84s are consistent at least at 3x 2.2mm.

Also this doesnt really mean anyone can just slap together a mod with no drilling  There are no other tools with 3.0 mm pivots, so 3.0 mm carbide drills will be needed to drill out tools from 91mm donors to use with the 3.0 pivots.  So while it does save you drilling as many tools, there still needs to be drilling unless your are just configuring tools within the same platform.

Id still request a sample before committing any money.  If a company wouldnt provide a sample to test with I wouldnt deal with them.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 03:53:06 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

de Offline crackout

And believe me, you won't find 3.0 carbide bits in the European region. ::)
Say my name.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
I bought some of these in 2.35mm so I could use 3/32 rod rather than 2.2mm because 3/32 is easy to get and 2.2 is like rocking-horse poo.  They come in 0.05mm increments and work out less than $2 per drill.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-Pcs-Carbide-Micro-Drill-Bits-CNC-PCB-Dremel-Select-Size-From-1-85mm-to-3-25mm-/160879763039?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&var=&hash=item25752e5e5f

I use them in my drill press and they drill through blades and backsprings easily. I have only used one so far and it is still as sharp as new after a dozen or more holes.

Might be a little fragile to use in a Dremel as carbide bits have no flex at all and shatter with any side load so you'd need a VERY steady hand.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Nice find!

de Offline HankSolon

I bought some of these in 2.35mm so I could use 3/32 rod rather than 2.2mm because 3/32 is easy to get and 2.2 is like rocking-horse poo.  They come in 0.05mm increments and work out less than $2 per drill

Those drills are fu...ing good. They went into hardened steel like drilling into weak brass. Absolutely nice find and thank you!

I will see now, if the long term performance is good, too.

By the way, I drilled free hand with my Proxxon 240. If you have a calm hand it will work too. ;-)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Wow, how did I miss those. Very good find, PtrSAK. :tu:

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Looks like the Chinese suppliers I have contacted have dried up.  I can procure them locally for $1000 for the three sizes at 500 units per size, but that is a bit much for me to chew on (small order for an industrial product actually). 

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: January 03, 2014, 07:29:18 AM
Bumpy Bumpy,

It seems that 3mm pivot barrels ARE produced:

http://forum.multitool.org/the-mod-squad/3mm-standoffs-spacers/

That doesn't solve the 2.5 and 2.2 issues, but it does lower the initial investment cost of 500 units at ~$333 per order for the smaller pivot barrels if an order was required.  Again, this is from a reliable supplier not an internet listing of a China scam operation. 

ru Offline decustomforge

• the Creator: gears, tools, custom scales.
Reply #76 on: November 12, 2019, 02:24:04 PM
I have 3 and 2.5 mm steel pivot barrels with m2 internal thread. Made of heat-treated steel Aisi 321.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%