Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Blunt serrated blade, why?

jzmtl · 16 · 2395

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Blunt serrated blade, why?
on: March 22, 2008, 10:14:48 PM
Seems it's the new trend here, making serrated blade with blunt tip, or no tip at all. Leatherman does it, Gerber does it, not sure about others since I don't have their multitool. But why? Seems to me it's kinda stupid. Maybe it's for safety for cutting people out of seatbelt/clothing? But how often does average multitool users do that? And if I had to do it for a living, I'd have something more dedicated than a serrated blade on multiool.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Blunt serrated blade, why?
Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 10:17:56 PM
I know what you mean, but thats market forces for you ::) if the mall ninja's want one knife for killing and another for rescuing, the MT manufactures would be fools to ignore it :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 10:51:57 PM
What do you need a point for?  If you are poking at things, you should probably be using the awl.  If it doesn't feature an awl, you should probably be using another tool!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 11:20:52 PM
But why not? Sometimes I do need the point to poke into things to start the cut.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 11:23:05 PM
What about using the scissors?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 11:24:16 PM
For what it's worth I think a PE warnecliffe is the best blade profile for a multi, assuming of course the manufacturer have bothered to put an awl on the MT first ::)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 11:28:59 PM
I guess if you want a serrated tool with a regular point, you are going to have to stick with SOG or SwissTools...

Def

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 12:49:21 AM
Its there for safety reasons I suppose... It would also be useful for cutting things and not wanting the tip to puncture watever you are cutting.. And, who knows if you will be driving down the highway and you see someone trapped in an upside car.. You would want to have a blunt edge to try to cut the seatbelt.. If he/she is wearing one! :D
B

Offline ToolManTim

Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 02:45:41 AM
I agree with jzmtl.  Sure you could use an awl or scissors point, but it's just a lot simpler and quicker if the knife blade has a sharp point on it.  I would imagine the need to use it this way versus cutting someone out of a seatbelt would have to be a million to one or better.

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 06:04:38 AM
Its the one of the best blades they make for cutting garden hoses,or any type hose that gos on an auto,like vacuum,radiator,gas,heater, best to lay it on a flat board first, I use mine all the time.

Mr.Leatherman made his first tool for repairing vehicles.

Ret. Chief Smith USAF

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 08:16:08 PM
I have used the blunt tipped serrated blade on a multitool to cut clothing to access a wound before . They really do work . While I agree most people may feel your never going to have to cut someone out of a burning car wreck you never know . Also think of all the emergency service people who buy multitools .In fact I would say just about every guy who is involved in rescue who buys a knife/tool looks for a rounded tip .

Dunc

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 04:52:22 PM
I guess if you want a serrated tool with a regular point, you are going to have to stick with SOG or SwissTools...

Def

I think you'll have to just trust Victorinox with this one: http://sogknives.com/store/300-301.html
[

Offline damota

Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 05:49:20 PM
Seems it's the new trend here, making serrated blade with blunt tip, or no tip at all. Leatherman does it, Gerber does it, not sure about others since I don't have their multitool. But why? Seems to me it's kinda stupid. Maybe it's for safety for cutting people out of seatbelt/clothing? But how often does average multitool users do that? And if I had to do it for a living, I'd have something more dedicated than a serrated blade on multiool.

A serrated edge was first designed for cutting fibers, as in ropes fabric and as mentioned by Smitty hoses. It has never really needed a point because the blade tears /saws its way through the material. It was the fashion of putting both a serrated and fine edge on a single blade were the pointy bit came in (was it Spyderco to blame?) making the blade a compromise. If bothedges were available as sepperate blades on muti's you could poke your starting position using the fine edge. Till then why do you not just use the fine edge blade for material and the serrated for ropes webbing ect: A fine edge is easier to sharpen than a serrated.

Dave

Offline damota

Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 05:57:11 PM
For what it's worth I think a PE warnecliffe is the best blade profile for a multi, assuming of course the manufacturer have bothered to put an awl on the MT first ::)

I agree with you Micky but it has to be a Wharncliffe with its broader back not  just a Lambs foot. Being able to put that extra push on the blade without putting tram lines on your finger tips helps on the titchy blades on muti-tools and makes the blade far more useful.

Dave

Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 07:00:05 PM
That it does :)

Offline appletree_man

Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 10:12:31 PM
That budget Kamasa multitool i've just bought has a pointed, serrated, blade.
T

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD