Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hints and Tips thread.

KTesh · 104 · 16509

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Re: Hints and Tips thread.
Reply #60 on: March 08, 2013, 07:55:38 PM
I magnetized mine easily and allready fished some screws from tight places. It helps also to keep a needle (two for me) under the fish scaler/ wood saw space. Even when carelessly unfolding the scaler the needle is held in place magnetically (and comes out with the scaler, ready to use). Do it. There is no drawback.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #61 on: March 15, 2013, 04:11:35 PM
  Not sure if was mentioned yet, the flathead/bottle popper & the Phillips lock-in temporarily when used on the Wenger S557. These tools press into the springs when bearing down on a screw.
Vics function in a similar way: The key-ring is part of the bottle opener's spring that you can push down with your thumb to increase friction. The half-stop notch further helps with that. Finally, when, with the bottle opener open, the can opener is deployed tension is somehow increased thus resulting in a almost locking flat driver. Surprisingly, the can opener's stiffness is not affected. You can try this by opening the can opener first and then see how the bottle opener's action becomes harder.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline dbeeks1

Reply #62 on: March 17, 2013, 09:15:59 PM
I use the Leatherman removable bit driver with the small screwdriver on the back of the Craftsman. (Its on the Handyman and Champ too, and probably other models) I keep a small piece of gutted paracord inside the driver. It locks it on to the screwdriver pretty well. It also scrunches down inside of the driver when I use it with my Juice S2 so there is no need to take it out. The "T-handle" isn't ideal but works for some applications.

IMG00130.jpg
* IMG00130.jpg (Filesize: 186.9 KB)
IMG00136.jpg
* IMG00136.jpg (Filesize: 222.02 KB)

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #63 on: March 17, 2013, 09:46:33 PM
That's a rather clever find, thanks for that :cheers:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #64 on: March 17, 2013, 10:41:34 PM
  Not sure if was mentioned yet, the flathead/bottle popper & the Phillips lock-in temporarily when used on the Wenger S557. These tools press into the springs when bearing down on a screw.
Vics function in a similar way: The key-ring is part of the bottle opener's spring that you can push down with your thumb to increase friction. The half-stop notch further helps with that. Finally, when, with the bottle opener open, the can opener is deployed tension is somehow increased thus resulting in a almost locking flat driver. Surprisingly, the can opener's stiffness is not affected. You can try this by opening the can opener first and then see how the bottle opener's action becomes harder.
True enough - with the caveat "ALMOST locking".
The flat on the back of the canopener's tang is a little farther from the pivot than the flat on the front side, putting more pressure on the back-spring which controls both tools (and so the canopener is just a little harder to close than to open), so with the canopener deployed the caplifter/screwdriver is indeed harder to close than with the canopener closed - much harder with the newer square-base half-stop driver.  And the canopener IS just as easy to rotate whether the caplifter on the other end of the spring is open or closed - the front and back flats of the caplifter are equidistant from its pivot-pin.
Will Victorinox used the locking design on the 2014 generation of their screwdrivers?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:57:25 PM by J Mackrel Jones »
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #65 on: March 18, 2013, 02:48:31 AM
I use the Leatherman removable bit driver with the small screwdriver on the back of the Craftsman. (Its on the Handyman and Champ too, and probably other models) I keep a small piece of gutted paracord inside the driver. It locks it on to the screwdriver pretty well. It also scrunches down inside of the driver when I use it with my Juice S2 so there is no need to take it out. The "T-handle" isn't ideal but works for some applications.

Nice one, fits better than i thought.
CHEERS

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: March 24, 2013, 03:46:10 AM
When going on large backcountry trips with people who aren't outdoors as much as you, make sure your multitool has an awl. The person who isn't outdoors much (my dad) will need a new hole on his belt to tighten it from the reduced stomach fat.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 03:48:02 AM by Nhoj »

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #67 on: March 24, 2013, 04:08:38 AM
  When using the magnifier glass for fire starting, attach the SAK onto a stick via the awl or corkscrew. Poke spick in ground (or use rocks) and focus the beam onto the fire starter material by raising or lowering the stick, and rotating to match the sun/earth movement if necessary.

Don't forget to remove the SAK/stick after you get a flame going, if you haven't fallen asleep by then.  :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline BradGad

Reply #68 on: July 15, 2013, 04:41:31 PM
Mini-Driver Compass
(Image removed from quote.)

Wow... Just tried this and am super impressed with how well it works.

I keep a tiny NATO mini button compass in my wallet. I just tested the SAK mini driver -- hanging from the thread I keep on the needle that's under the parcel hook -- and it actually settled to north more quickly and reliably than the dedicated compass.

Thanks Xelkos!

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #69 on: July 18, 2013, 04:10:15 AM
This one's a bit of effort, but it has worked very well in two Huntsmen (Huntsmans? Whatever.) and a Ranger so far. It should theoretically work in any 91mm with an opener layer next to a scissors layer.

I like to have a sharpener around, and what lower-profile method is there than carrying one in your knife? Granted, it's a small sharpener, but it's better than nothing, and sometimes it's something that I need right now.

Step 1: Find a cheap V-sharpener you don't mind tearing into bitty pieces. I've done this with at least three different brands, and they've all behaved exactly the same.

Step 2: Get all up in its business! All I needed was the awl to get started, and the bottle opener driver to finish the job. Chances are the sharpening rods aren't glued, and will fall right out.

Step 3: If the rod isn't short enough to fit completely under the bottle opener without touching the bottle-opening tab on the bottom, break off a little of the rod with some handy pliers.

Step 4: Use electrical tape to make a little hump at one end of the rod. This hump will wedge lightly in the space between the opener layer liners, keeping the sharpener from falling out when the scissors or bottle opener are open. I used superglue to stick it all nicely, then cut the tape from the sides to keep them from pushing on the scissors when everything's closed.

Step 5: Be done. See it in there? That sharpening rod should sit in there without touching the can opener at all, and without affecting use of either the bottle opener or the scissors. Unless you often use the scissors and bottle opener at the exact same time, it shouldn't fall out.

There may be an easier way to do this without the sharpener falling out, but I don't know what it would be. In a Wenger Evo s18 (and presumably other 85mm Wengers with scissors) you can skip the shortening step, since the rod will fit right under the scissors instead. In a Victorinox OH Forester (and probably the OH Soldier, I imagine) a completely unaltered rod will sit nicely in that odd gap behind the corkscrew/backside Phillips, in that space left by the saw's spring.

Also, while I'm here, I should mention that I'm very excited about the mini-driver compass and the Leatherman bits in the multi-purpose hook. I'd never thought of those. Nice work, guys!

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #70 on: September 26, 2013, 01:40:18 PM
When extended, the bottle opener can be used for extra leverage while using the main blade on Vics. It also allows me to rotate the SAK in my hand more safely. Note that the Compact has the combo tool in the same layer as the knife blade. The combo tool has the half stop notch. When fully opened, it works as above only better: the half stop notch offers extra friction so the knife can be used a little harder.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

mx Offline Chaka

Reply #71 on: October 02, 2013, 05:42:39 PM
A 1/4" socket fits the 91mm sak bottle opener so 1/4" bits can be used. I prefer the long sockets and epoxy a small magnet inside for retention.

Offline Minics04

Reply #72 on: October 02, 2013, 09:53:30 PM
Desk lamp for Voyager lite and Traveler lite
Desklamp.jpg
* Desklamp.jpg (Filesize: 66.9 KB)

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: October 03, 2013, 03:12:21 AM
While wearing a lanyard around the neck, the multipurpose hook can be used to hold a can of beer while grilling meat. :climber:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #74 on: October 03, 2013, 05:13:57 PM
Now that is a cool idea! Beer holder. I like it.

sent from my mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #75 on: October 03, 2013, 05:51:23 PM
While wearing a lanyard around the neck, the multipurpose hook can be used to hold a can of beer while grilling meat. :climber:

Why are you holding the beer can?! Haven't you drank it already?!
 :drink:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #76 on: October 03, 2013, 05:58:35 PM
I think its for holding the beer you are about to drink while you are finishing the other one.

sent from my mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

ie Offline Refrigerator

Reply #77 on: October 03, 2013, 06:29:04 PM
I could've sworn I saw a picture of the mini screwdriver to lock the main blade...was probably from the sak owners manual. Anyone else heard of this?

Reply #78 on: October 04, 2013, 12:58:21 AM
"Trust this lock less than a factory one. Much less."     
the SAK  OM
screwlock.jpg
* screwlock.jpg (Filesize: 331.09 KB)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #79 on: October 04, 2013, 12:40:20 PM
I think its for holding the beer you are about to drink while you are finishing the other one.

No... That's why you have two hands! Oh, maybe for the third beer... Ok, I get it now!

:rofl:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline victordomingos

Reply #80 on: October 04, 2013, 03:16:44 PM

the SAK  OM

That works only on SAKs with bail, right? There is no hole in the ones with keyring...

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #81 on: October 04, 2013, 03:32:34 PM

the SAK  OM

That works only on SAKs with bail, right? There is no hole in the ones with keyring...

You have to drill a hole.  :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline victordomingos

Reply #82 on: October 04, 2013, 03:34:14 PM

the SAK  OM

You have to drill a hole.  :D

Oh... I wouldn't dare :-)

Reply #83 on: October 04, 2013, 04:23:38 PM
"Remember Hippocrates’ Oath: First do no harm."     SAK OM

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #84 on: October 05, 2013, 07:34:13 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Cool. :2tu:

Should be added to the uses for a hook thread too. :D

Welcome to the forum. :waving:

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #85 on: October 05, 2013, 11:52:11 PM

Every time I see a new use for the hook, I feel warm inside, like I've eaten a bunch of delicious tacos.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #86 on: October 06, 2013, 08:43:35 PM
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #87 on: October 06, 2013, 09:24:40 PM
:doh:

OK, I was lazy to do a search. :D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #88 on: October 06, 2013, 09:53:57 PM
I just checked, and the lamp thing does indeed work, but is of course utterly pointless due to the piddly amount of light emitted by the tool  :whistle:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #89 on: October 07, 2013, 11:07:14 AM
:doh:

OK, I was lazy to do a search. :D

:cheers:

It's really not very useful like Al already pointed out :)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%