Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First mod idea

Offline jrp316

First mod idea
on: January 25, 2013, 03:22:28 PM
So, I've been kicking the idea of doing a mod around in my head a little bit lately. Since it's something I'm very new to (and my tool selection isn't great), I've been thinking conservatively. Alox mods are right out for now until such a time as I build up experience. I also wanted to do something somewhat original and with that, here's what I've come up with: the advanced Mechanic.

The donor knives would be a Spartan Lite and a Mechanic. Essentially, I would take the Mechanic pliers and add them to the Spartan Lite. As the Phillips head on the backside of the Mechanic would be redundant with the top side one, I would leave the Spartan's corkscrew and fit it with the eyeglass driver. Plus scales to wrap it up with. The Mechanic would then be converted to a Tinker to give me some practice assembling a finished knife. Any thoughts?

us Offline 82brutus

Re: First mod idea
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 04:12:02 PM
Sounds like a good idea!!  The mechanic to tinker mod will be relatively straight forward.  Lots of threads related to layer removal mods.   :tu:

Take lots of pics along the way and share your experience!!   :cheers:
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 07:10:38 PM
Sounds good to me. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 09:30:09 PM
sounds like a good plan too me, it will be wide with both light and pliers layers but that's not a big deal

have you tried the lights before?  they aren't the most powerful, reducing their usefulness.

igood luck
have fun.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 12:55:36 AM
Go ahead. And take pics whey you disassemble the layers so you know which backspring/liner goes where. Also be carefull not to damage or loose the bushings. When they fall on the ground it takes ages to find them. :ahhh

If you have any questions along the way, members here are always happy to help. :salute:

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 12:03:50 PM
...and, if i may add, clean your workshop floor before dropping any bushings.

I swiped a pile of metal shavings and oily dirt onto the dirt shovel, took a bright lamb,had a seat and picked through teh mess in search of 2 bushings i dropped.

Should use a broom more often, i guess.

Offline jrp316

Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 11:37:01 PM
I'm kicking around a few different ideas in my mind; in particular, I'm going down the route of substituting a mag glass for the LED light (a la Explorer). For that, I'd have an Explorer as the base knife and a Mechanic to donate the pliers (eliminating the hook/scissors). Even though I'm not a fan, eliminate the openers layer and swap the small blade for a combo tool (Yeomechanic?).

Either way, I'd better get down to brass tacks (or in this case, pins). Is Rotokid still the man to get the pin stock from these days?

On another note, I tried my hand at knife disassembly with an old Tinker yesterday. The pin drilling went decently, but it was under more tension than I gave it credit for. As soon as the last pin head popped, the knife popped up off the bench even with tape holding it together (painter's tape, must use duct tape next time)...and I lost two bushings/pins as a result. So that one's put down as a lesson learned, but you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs, eh?  :oops:  :whistle:

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 11:40:32 PM
Interesting idea, take photos when you start. :tu:
And as for the floor, lowtech is right.
I had a hard time to find some tiny screws, when i was repairing a watch.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 01:40:49 AM

Either way, I'd better get down to brass tacks (or in this case, pins). Is Rotokid still the man to get the pin stock from these days?

He does still have pin stock last I talked to him, but has been slow to ship/respond lately.  I think he's busy.  I would recommend buying K&S engineering brass rod stock.  Amazon and ebay both have it.

I bought from ebay last time with no problem, but mostly because Amazon.com wont ship to Canada. 

2.5 mm brass rod
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390524273848?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Noone makes the 2.2 mm that you need for the center pin, but it's such a small different from 2.5, I just put a small piece in a drill and hold sandpaper on it and keep test fitting it through a liner until it goes through.  Its not for the main end tools so honestly it really doesn't even have to be that super accurate.  So my recommendation is just to buy 2.5mm brass stock.

Cheers,
Robert
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74