Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Sarcasm Smiley

Poll

What Sarcasm Smiley do you like best?

Sarcasm Warning
21 (21.9%)
Sarcasm big sign
9 (9.4%)
Sarcasm 01
7 (7.3%)
Sarcasm 02
12 (12.5%)
Sarcasm 03
8 (8.3%)
Sarcastic
6 (6.3%)
Sarcasm Alert
11 (11.5%)
Sarcasm On
9 (9.4%)
Ohhh the sarcasm
11 (11.5%)
Other- Please specify below
2 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: February 08, 2013, 03:41:53 PM

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
New Sarcasm Smiley
on: February 01, 2013, 03:41:53 PM
It has been mentioned that we need a sarcasm smiley, and so here we have a bunch that I have found that we could use.  Please pick your favorite, and at the end we'll add it to the forum smiley set.  I imagine it'll be the most used smiley around here!  :D

Sarcasm Warning:

Sarcasm Big Sign:

Sarcasm01:

Sarcasm 02:

Sarcasm 03:

Sarcastic:

Sarcasm Alert:

Sarcasm On:

Ohhh the sarcasm:

So that's it- you can select up to three of your favorites and the winner will be our new smiley.  :D

Oh, and if you type out "sarcasm" too many times or say it in your head it really starts to sound like a very stupid word... :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Re: New Sarcasm Smiley
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 03:46:00 PM
This might be a very English thing to say, but doesn't "flagging" the fact that you are being sarcastic kind of defeat the object of being sarcastic in the first place?

:think:
I used to come here a lot.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 03:50:39 PM
 ::)

Oh wait, I meant

:P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 03:52:10 PM
Point taken.

But:  On the innertubes, sarcasm can be hard to project, especially given the wide cultural differences here.

I don't think it always needs to be added, especially when responding to another member you know well, but in potentially inflammatory settings, I think it may help.

I know, I know...

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 03:53:09 PM
Now, an emoticon for irony could be useful :P

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 03:54:59 PM
Were you thinking of a little Alanis Morrissette image, or did you want real irony?

Def

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 03:57:45 PM
:D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 05:05:19 PM
Personally I feel the  :P and the  ;) and the  ::) and the  :pok: and the  :D not to mention the  >:D and the  :angel: serve the purpose of replacing shortfalls in the written form just fine  :tu:

... either that or learn to communicate better  >:(

... either that or learn to communicate better   ::)

... either that or learn to communicate better   :P

... either that or learn to communicate better   :pok:  >:D

Just testing  :angel:      Yup, they work fine  :D :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 05:07:44 PM
Personally I feel the  :P and the  ;) and the  ::) and the  :pok: and the  :D not to mention the  >:D and the  :angel: serve the purpose of replacing shortfalls in the written form just fine  :tu:

Agreed.  Some may underutilize the emoticons, I think.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 05:12:02 PM
Just for clarity I vote none of the above - not needed   :salute:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 05:14:18 PM
Maybe it is needed..

I have posted some comments that were obviously sarcastic/humorous and had people thnk they were serious and proceeded to correct what I was saying..

Only today I sort of claimed that Rupert Murdoch runs the BBC and someone pointed out that the BBC is not actually run by him   :facepalm:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 05:15:20 PM
Maybe it is needed..

I have posted some comments that were obviously sarcastic/humorous and had people thnk they were serious and proceeded to correct what I was saying..

Only today I sort of claimed that Rupert Murdoch runs the BBC and someone pointed out that the BBC is not actually run by him   :facepalm:
i've seen a few cases like this !

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 05:16:35 PM
i like all the smileys ! can't have too many of them in my book.
although i doubt I'd use a sarcasm one  :whistle:

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 06:58:54 PM
Given the limitations of this medium I'd say more emoticons are better.  It saves having to explain the meta-message involved in what you're saying; information that is conveyed in body language and tone of voice that can't be accounted for in a print medium.  In fact, I'd say more than one would be nice to have, so that we can indicate sarcasm in our own statements, as well as to indicate when we think we see it in others' posts.

A lot of misunderstandings between people happen because even in face to face conversation, the meta-message is misinterpreted.  A good book on this aspect of verbal communication is You Just Don't Understand, by Deborah Tannen.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 07:19:59 PM
Maybe it is needed..

Actually, as you are obviously aiming that comment at me I will clarify that I mostly pull you up for being sexist. It's not funny, it's not sarcastic, and it's not welcome here. It's akin to any other other kind of offensive bigotry which is something I think you fail to see.

Unfortunately your frequent links to the UK gutter press often lend themselves to the same, as they tend to required naked woman to sell their rather tenuous "news". So over all it doesn't really come across well, and I had a sense of humour failure about it... try and remember this is not a men only forum ;)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 07:25:17 PM

Once again I've got to agree with Al.  All of the above can be used to convey humorous sarcasm.

I will also add that sarcasm is not necessarily funny, even if you make it obvious you are being sarcastic it doesn't mean you've not going to cause offence.  In other words; know your audience well.

Quote from: Cambridge Dictionaries
Definition:
the use of remarks which clearly mean the opposite of what they say, and which are made in order to hurt someone's feelings or to criticize something in a humorous way
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 07:34:41 PM
Quite right Gareth, and I also agree with Al that we don't really need more smilies.

If folks can't be civil and respectful of others without realising they are being interpreted as offensive, we're here to enlighten them. How they handle that info is up to them. It's the collective atmosphere that makes a forum; the sum of all it's parts.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 07:41:44 PM
    :think: :think: :think:

I thought this was the sarcasm smiley?   :2tu:

I really did..... now I'm confused  :-[
Everything’s adjustable

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 07:44:35 PM
Given the limitations of this medium I'd say more emoticons are better.  It saves having to explain the meta-message involved in what you're saying; information that is conveyed in body language and tone of voice that can't be accounted for in a print medium.  In fact, I'd say more than one would be nice to have, so that we can indicate sarcasm in our own statements, as well as to indicate when we think we see it in others' posts.

A lot of misunderstandings between people happen because even in face to face conversation, the meta-message is misinterpreted.  A good book on this aspect of verbal communication is You Just Don't Understand, by Deborah Tannen.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say too many emoticons can be a bad thing. Words can (if used effectively) convey more than any one of the emoticons shown. Most people here will use our common emoticons in the same manner, but if you start introducing more and more emoticons you run the risk of miscomunication through the graphics, whereby someone would ordinarily NOT have misinterpretted what you put UNTIL you used an emoticon which that other person uses for other tonalities.

There's an example above where  ::) is used as a  :facepalm: or a  :P Personally I'm in the  :facepalm: crowd, and wouldn't interpret it as a  :P ... and at times I've had to think "did they really mean ... that"

There's a few fun ones that people use such as the hiding behind the sofa, or the baying mob, or running dog, or whacking hammer. They're great and can add to the fun of the post, but start chucking in loads of extra actual "emotion" ones and it'll get confusing ... and lets face it, people can get very confused with body language, tonality and facial expression too. It's not just words we misinterpret.

With respect to all, if we want extra graphics - fine  :tu: However, let's not think  ... how shall I say this ... let's not think that recent events have highlighted any failings in our emoticon quota  ;) the emoticons were NEVER the issue ... and I shall cunningly withdraw from that topic now  :D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 07:46:18 PM

With respect to all, if we want extra graphics - fine  :tu: However, let's not think  ... how shall I say this ... let's not think that recent events have highlighted any failings in our emoticon quota  ;) the emoticons were NEVER the issue ... and I shall cunningly withdraw from that topic now  :D
ding

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 07:49:25 PM

ding
Subtle Al, very subtle. ;)

see what I did there? :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 07:52:04 PM
Maybe it is needed..

Actually, as you are obviously aiming that comment at me I will clarify that I mostly pull you up for being sexist. It's not funny, it's not sarcastic, and it's not welcome here. It's akin to any other other kind of offensive bigotry which is something I think you fail to see.

Unfortunately your frequent links to the UK gutter press often lend themselves to the same, as they tend to required naked woman to sell their rather tenuous "news". So over all it doesn't really come across well, and I had a sense of humour failure about it... try and remember this is not a men only forum ;)

I did not mention any names, but I assumed that it would have been obvious that what I said about the BBC was not serious, since I was replying to a comment you made, joking about my link, in which I basically said what you posted afterwards.
Had I indicated that I actually knew that the BBC is not owned by the Murdoch empire you may have realised that I was not seriously implying the latter.

It was posted as an example, since it happened today and was not meant to be a dig at you or anything.

As for my links I had no problem with the one link I posted some time ago which you removed and actually agreed with you deleting it, something I also said in PM to another member too.

I think the moderators are here to remove anything they deem needs removing.

As for my links to the UK papers I believe that all the press that can be legally read in a country has something to say. It is free on the internet and I read the sun and the Telegraph, linking both if I think they have something to offer.

As I said before, the Sun said what the BBC said.
As for the links being sexist it will be an overkill to decide that anything to do with relationships between two people of any way will not be allowed in the Forum (love, kissing, relationships, attraction, behaviour etc.). That is why the moderators are free to decide if something is too much.  :salute:

It is a family forum, but it is not a children forum.  :)
May I also suggest that if any further clarifications are needed this should be done via PM to avoid spoiling this thread.
I am generally quite reasonable, and I repeat that the example I posted was to add something to the thread and not to single out anybody.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 07:55:01 PM
I love it when everyone is talking about something you clearly missed and you are wondering wtf you missed :)

^^^^^^^  THIS IS SARCASM ^^^^^^^

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 07:56:37 PM
 :pok: I think we need this one

And more

An emoticon paints a thousand words  :salute:

And I'm adding this one because I've not had a chance to use it this year  :D

Everything’s adjustable

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 08:00:53 PM

ding
Subtle Al, very subtle. ;)

see what I did there? :D

:P You were trying to out subtle me there weren't you  :D :D

:rofl:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 08:09:19 PM
I love it when everyone is talking about something you clearly missed and you are wondering wtf you missed :)

^^^^^^^  THIS IS SARCASM ^^^^^^^

Quite! ::)

I rarely miss a thing, just don't find a lot of people that funny :P
I also live with a kid who constantly says somewhat offensive things which he finds funny, usually followed with him saying "joke" as we clearly don't think it is and he can't figure out why... it gets old really fast (if only kids did too)  :ahhh

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 08:12:22 PM

What he said...
:pok: I think we need this one

(Image removed from quote.)

And more

An emoticon paints a thousand words  :salute:

And I'm adding this one because I've not had a chance to use it this year  :D

You might have a point there mate...there seems to be a wee bit of bad energy surging thru the hallowed halls of MTo ATM
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 09:13:11 PM
It'll be fine... MTO is a happy place :cheers:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 09:19:33 PM
It'll be fine... MTO is a happy place :cheers:

+1

People should be able to chat with slightly raised "voices" for a bit without everybody assuming that the apocalypse is near.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 09:27:49 PM
 :cry: I hate it when mom and dad fight in front of us kids

;)
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%