Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Two Olde English multitools

J-sews · 15 · 2468

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Two Olde English multitools
on: March 29, 2008, 10:05:56 PM
I found two old multitools to add to my collection recently. Funny thing is that both were made in England. No idea who made them or how old they are though. Maybe 1950's/60's/70's vintage?

The first one is stamped Crown Corker. It's just a set of metal kitchen shears, but it has a bunch of fancy contours cut into the handles for performing other tasks. The top side of the tool does different stuff than the bottom. It's pretty neat for how old it must be. The finish looks to be nickel plated. There are some rust speckles here and there.

Bottom

The second tool is called a Versatool. It has a two-piece plastic handle with many functions scattered around on it. A bit driver, some onboard bits, a few folding blades, knife sharpener, wire stripper, etc. Quality is "okay", nothing to write home about.

Anyhow, they're both kinda neat Olde English gadgets, thought you guys might be interested.

Bob

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Re: Two Olde English multitools
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 10:18:13 PM
The Versatool has a good amount of appeal to me.It reminds me of the gadgety kinds of things that used to be sold in the old Roaman's Jewelry store in my town.
I

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 10:19:31 PM
The first one looks almost like it's from the 1920's, it even looks pretty useful around the kitchen today :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 11:34:56 PM
I think the Crown Corker is the same company that made the British SOE/US-OSS escape knife of WW2 fame.  The "first"multitool
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 11:42:47 PM by BIG-TARGET »
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 12:07:23 AM
I think the Crown Corker is the same company that made the British SOE/US-OSS escape knife of WW2 fame......

That's an interesting theory BT. The OSS Escape Knives were made by Joseph Rodgers and George Ibberson, both old time cutlery companies from Sheffield England.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 12:25:14 AM
Like the british Sten gun.  Manufacture in the basment of many british homes at the price of a Happy meal.  And not much serious machining involved :think:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Offline Ging

• Skint Brit!!
Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 09:12:22 PM
I think the Crown Corker is the same company that made the British SOE/US-OSS escape knife of WW2 fame. 

Its possible but it doesn't say made in Sheffield, so it could easily be made some where else in this fine island...
E

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 11:57:35 PM
One of the 1/4" hex bits that came with he Versatool is kinda unusual:

It has a little wheel of hardened metal (carbide? diamond?) for etching or cutting glass. I tried it on a bottle just now and it scrapes away glass just fine. Doesn't cut through obviously, but does etch a shallow crease.

Uh.....so what would something like this really be used for? :think:

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 12:06:28 AM
I think cutting glass.  Score the glass, then "break" it on the line with another tool..like this!

[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 12:08:33 AM
I think cutting glass.  Score the glass, then "break" it on the line with another tool..like this!

(Image removed from quote.)

I've seen pictures before but never tried it. Does it actually work that well?

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 12:09:29 AM
Or ceramic tiles.
I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 12:10:36 AM
Hmmm, don't we have a prominant member here who works in a glass factory? :think: ;)

Offline kent ct

Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 11:58:55 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

I've seen pictures before but never tried it. Does it actually work that well?

Works very well. Wet the line you are going to cut with kerosene, start at one edge with moderate pressure. If you are doing it right you will hear a nice sizzle noise of the cutter rather than a chipping sound. After the line is scored, tap on the underside of the glass along the line with a hard object like the ball end of the cutter illustrated and you will see the cut go through and the glass will fall apart. You can freehand any shape except inside corners. Circles can be cut with a special cutter or guide. Old glass is harder to cut than new glass.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 02:32:54 AM

Works very well. Wet the line you are going to cut with kerosene, start at one edge with moderate pressure. If you are doing it right you will hear a nice sizzle noise of the cutter rather than a chipping sound. After the line is scored, tap on the underside of the glass along the line with a hard object like the ball end of the cutter illustrated and you will see the cut go through and the glass will fall apart. You can freehand any shape except inside corners. Circles can be cut with a special cutter or guide. Old glass is harder to cut than new glass.

Thanks Kent. Believe it or not I've never done any glass cutting. Think I'll go find a stray piece and try out your advice with the old Versatool. Its probably not going to work as delicately as a purpose-built glass cutting tool, but it should give me the general idea. :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 02:34:24 AM
Hi Bob ,

Nice chatting with you today , the above is kind of neat . I will have to rummage around a bit , I have some variation of a/the versa tool . I sent you an email to one of your addresses , check and see if I got the right one .

Got the message Doug, and replied. Looking forward to hearing about the Versatool variation also! :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%