Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Welding Pocket Clip to Spirit or Swisstool?

Splat · 22 · 2695

us Offline Splat

Welding Pocket Clip to Spirit or Swisstool?
on: February 15, 2013, 05:22:10 PM
After a bunch of years not carrying one I finally got myself another m/t, A Spirit X. I never liked pocket carrying or belt pouches because they're big and usually bulky. I've got an old stainless clip that I intend to try to weld to the Spirit when it gets here. Anyone tried welding a pocket clip to their Swisstool or Spirit?
Splat

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Re: Welding Pocket Clip to Spirit or Swisstool?
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 06:15:33 PM
I haven't seen any clips welded to it, yet, but Metropolicity has attached one from a LM Kick, whci looked neat. Have a look in the Mod squad forum for that one.  ;)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 06:33:10 PM
I've wondered myself, not just for those specific tools but for anything, some of these tools are held in with such small screws and there only fastened in by like a 1/4 turn! I know the clip it self is holding only by pressure, but still, I'd feel ten times better knowing that the screws aren't going to strip or fall out! Same goes for the SAK, and for those adding clips by tapping the aluminum, that would so worry me! JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 06:35:57 PM
If you are an experienced welder and can prevent the tools in the handle from heating up somehow, go for it.  I wouldnt try it ever since I dont have the experience and I cant see how it would end well, or the tool not being warped, temper ruined or otherwise damaged.  Also Id want to remove the tools from the handle first, and if I did that might as well just use a pivot and screw method.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 08:18:34 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Splat

Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 06:57:18 PM
MadPlumbarian, I'm with you on that. For something as large as the Spirit I'd really not want to trust a single screw. Maybe 2 screws but I can't remember how thick the handles are on the Spirit. Too thin and I wouldn't even waste my time tapping. I just ordered my Spirit yesterday so it'll be a few days till I get it.

Syph007, the Spirit is stainless steel, not Ti, which I am set up for. As for heat/warpage.... I think it'd be better leaving the tooling inside to act as a heat absorber. I could place a couple of metal clamps besides the ground clamp on the Spirit to help with the heat. Methinks I'm gonna try it.

PS, I searched for this topic but didn't find anything. I'll take another look.
Splat

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 07:01:02 PM
Go for it then!  Id love to see how it does. Do you need to use a similar grade of stainless for the clip?  SAK steel is close to 440c, but I dont know about the swisstool frame.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 08:01:17 PM
Yes you can weld with just heat, you can even weld aluminum(Alumiweld), ive done both, but like you said with the amount of heat that your going to use in order to do either of them your going to ruin them, id love to get a clip on a alox that is tapped yet welded on the back side! but with the stress into it you'd ruin it anyway, :ahhh plus the discoloration! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 09:20:01 PM
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,41791.msg668088.html#msg668088

If you're still interested, here's Metro's pocket clip on a Spirit, not welded on, but it looks pretty secure to me ;)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 03:09:57 AM
If it were me , I'd bend my own clip , and use that 3M doublesided tape . A Jewler or Gunsmith might be able to silver solder a clip on without damage or overheating , I wouldn't try it .

Chris

us Online mashguy4077

Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 04:34:51 AM
What about JB Weld. I hear its some pretty strong stuff.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 04:44:49 AM
What about JB Weld. I hear its some pretty strong stuff.

That would probably work.  Very useful and versatile stuff.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 05:05:56 AM
Herd great things about that JB stuff, never have used it yet always wanted to! JR

us Offline Splat

Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 05:14:05 PM
I'm a JB Weld addict. :D  That stuff has gotten me outta more jams than any other adhesive. Yet, for this application I know it wouldn't last. I've got a few ideas bouncing around..just gotta get the Spirit in my hands. Hopefully by Tuesday.
Splat

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 10:34:36 PM
I'd stick with the 3m tape , tis a smurf to get off even when you want it off . Epoxies + shiny metal are dissapointing . You could try LocTite Black mak , sticks pretty much anything together .

Chris

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 12:14:48 AM
Ya JB weld wont hold long to a slick surface.  As far as I understand its basically an epoxy with some metal particles in it?  Epoxy would need a rougher surface to bond too. 

us Offline TMFKAMJ

• Uh... I'm back to look around
Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 05:49:01 AM
Or just use those nite ize stick on clips...

Sent from my own private Idaho
hi

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 02:13:50 PM

Sent from my own private Idaho
i have that on my farmer, only thing that I don't like with that one is the clip itself, it holds so freaking tight, and since you have to squeeze it in order to release it, especially on a pair of jeans! But the more I've been wearing it, it seams to be breaking it in, yet the sticky part what I was worried about and that hasn't moved!  JR

us Offline Splat

Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 03:09:15 PM

Never seen that before but now that I've checked into it I might try that. The 3m VHB tape is pretty strong stuff. That may be the only "tape" I'd trust my multi to. Thanks for the head's up, TMFKAMJ.
Splat

nl Offline Wootz

Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 03:16:20 PM

Never seen that before but now that I've checked into it I might try that. The 3m VHB tape is pretty strong stuff. That may be the only "tape" I'd trust my multi to. Thanks for the head's up, TMFKAMJ.

You want to check this:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,9743.1000.html
(and the previous page)

Offline Fishnuts2

Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 03:17:33 PM
The subject of welding a clip or using JB weld got me to thinking that perhaps one could drill small holes in both the clip and Spirit to allow JB to penetrate the pair. I used to do similar bonds while employed as a welder only we called it a rosette weld.  Drill a hole in the top piece and fill it with a round weld bead.  This would solve the problem of a smooth surface on the Spirit which gives only a limited adhesion. JB weld will hold like crazy if you give it something to adhere to.

Just a thought.

W

us Offline Splat

Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 03:21:36 PM
The subject of welding a clip or using JB weld got me to thinking that perhaps one could drill small holes in both the clip and Spirit to allow JB to penetrate the pair. I used to do similar bonds while employed as a welder only we called it a rosette weld.  Drill a hole in the top piece and fill it with a round weld bead.  This would solve the problem of a smooth surface on the Spirit which gives only a limited adhesion. JB weld will hold like crazy if you give it something to adhere to. Just a thought.

Yep, that's a good idea and I did think of that, Fish, but I'd rather be inclined to scratch up the surface with some 120grit sandpaper instead. From all the positive reviews I just read on the Hipclip I'm going to try it first. I'll let you guys know.
Splat

us Offline Splat

Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 12:49:20 AM
Got my Spirit X faster than I thought! Sometimes USPS surprises me.  :P 

I just wanted to say WOW! I didn't remember the Spirit being so damn lovely. What a piece of functional art. Now the question...can I look past its beauty to try welding on a clip?! LOL! I honestly don't know if I can! I may try that Hipclip first. Right now I'm carrying it in a nylon cellphone holster that allows vertical or horizontal carry. Fits perfectly. No one around me has the Hipclip in stock so have to order online. We shall see.
Splat

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD