Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisschamp owners club

Zed · 1825 · 190752

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Swisschamp owners club
Reply #150 on: April 29, 2013, 01:14:35 PM
Mines got the older style magglass but my phillips has a real solid snap,so much I can't help flicking it out  :D I don't mind either magglass  :tu:

gb Offline Ross

Reply #151 on: April 29, 2013, 06:10:48 PM
Count me in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #152 on: April 30, 2013, 01:48:53 AM
I'm in.  My Champ is circa 1999.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #153 on: April 30, 2013, 08:52:15 PM
I agree with removing the fish scaler!  They should offer a serrated blade in its place!  I know that wont happen but it would be great! :)

Before I misplaced my swisschamp, which is still missing, I had it on a P-7 clip and it worked pretty good for jean carry!

I need to do another trade deal and get another swisschamp! :)

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #154 on: May 15, 2013, 03:07:28 AM
Just got a swisschamp and I LOVE IT! Thanks sir_mike!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #155 on: May 15, 2013, 03:15:42 AM
Just got a swisschamp and I LOVE IT! Thanks sir_mike!
(Image removed from quote.)

Glad you like it and welcome to the club! It does look good!   :tu:

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #156 on: May 15, 2013, 08:26:46 AM
I have my recently acquired SwissChamp with me touring New Zealand.

I'll try and remember to get some nice "middle Earth" shots of it over the next week.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #157 on: May 16, 2013, 07:54:23 AM
Swiss Champ in front of Mt Doom

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #158 on: May 16, 2013, 04:34:42 PM
My XAVT, compared to others.

A few first light comments.
This SAK is very lightweight! Once you see it with all the shiny steal you are prepared to feel much heavier than it is. But it's width isn't an illusion. It is wide even for my big hands.
All tools are real and sharp but their functionality is restricted at times because the SAK can't function as an effective handle and the reach to the object is compromised. Also, some of the tools feel very off centre.
But it has it's uses.
1. It is a collector's item. In fact it is a collection itself.
2. It is a showpiece or conversational item.
3. It is a fun item for SAK lovers (open this and then that and hear the wonderful click)
4. It could act as a nice desk clock/ weather station
5. It is a study item. When you have just a few SAKs, it gives you the opportunity to study several tools that you rarely see in <4 layer SAKs. It costs 350-450€ here, that is about 5€ per function (I paid the half, so it is 2.5€ per function, very nice).
I had the opportunity to use the Electrician's and Pruner blade and the spatula with my XLT and like them all very much.
With this I tried some more tools and these are my thoughts
A. Every hooked SAK should have the filed hook for nail maintenance on the fly (and match striking)
B. The grey lens is sturdier, the Transluscent more useful and both can be used in line (at an angle for less distortion, because they aren't aligned)
C. The LED light is ingenious! Very nice!
D. The serrated blade is lovely. We should have more SAKs with a second, serrated blade (also in hunter and safety variations, as of 111mm)
C. The great Vic 93mm awl can be implemented in 91mm with great effect. What are you waiting for Victorinox? Do it. And leave the back awl also. They are different, we like them both.
D. The Watchmaker's blade is useful too. We change scales a lot, don't we? And it is a nice scraper. Unless Victorinox would surprise us with a combo blade such as the one in Spirit (Chisel/Scraper and such)
E. I like the combo bottle/ can opener, but I prefer having both basic tools, especially when there's no Philips or Cybertool on the SAK. And it isn't sharp. How does it work, really?
F. The AVT clock is more than I expected. Others described it already, I just want to state that it is a toy itself, contained in a toy, toy squared! I thought that my Casio Pro Trek would restrict using such a SAK, but I wouldn't mind a small one with AVT and LED light for EDC. A Traveler lite I believe?
G. The scales are nice but I would prefer the Soft scales that are darker and softer at touch.
H. Now I understand what the unused space on Transluscent scales stands for. It is for the short tweezers of AVT models.
Other people with more basic SAKs will have the opportunity to test more tools.

I like it very much.

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #159 on: May 24, 2013, 04:42:42 PM
i have one too but i will mod it.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,45182.new.html#new

ideas please...

gb Offline Ross

Reply #160 on: May 24, 2013, 04:52:42 PM
i have one too but i will mod it.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,45182.new.html#new

ideas please...
I've just been thinking about all the knifes I have been picking up and trying to decide what ones to keep in the box and which ones i will actually use - am nervous to use my colour Alox as they are so pretty :) (not sure how many people use theirs?) - I then turned my to your question - for me I think the Swiss Champ is the EDC for me every time as its has pretty much all I want except one change I would make -

I have no need for the Fish Scaler (although the ruler I like) and would prefer a pruner or Electricians blade instead.

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #161 on: May 24, 2013, 06:23:20 PM
fish scaler is the first part i will take out, i won't keep it for further projects, just throw it in to the drain.i love fish, also preparing fish for cooking but i never need a specialized fish scaler.dull side of any knife will do the work.a patented tool for vic but only a shame for me.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #162 on: May 24, 2013, 07:52:39 PM
Multitool Forum Rule No13: "Anyone who plans to or actually amputates a technological marvel like a Victorinox Swisschamp should be banned from the forum once and for ever."

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #163 on: May 24, 2013, 11:17:17 PM
Multitool Forum Rule No13: "Anyone who plans to or actually amputates a technological marvel like a Victorinox Swisschamp should be banned from the forum once and for ever."

That's rule number 1 AFAIK :think:
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #164 on: May 24, 2013, 11:29:25 PM

That's rule number 1 AFAIK :think:

Boys,I hate to point his out,but without the SwissChamps laying Thier lives down for us,there would be far fewer SAK mods
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Kid33

Reply #165 on: June 08, 2013, 05:48:05 AM
I just got my Swiss Champ today!   I got it Brand New off Ebay for 35 bucks free shipping.  I got the Plastic Magnifier version ( I actually prefer reading with this one).

I carry an Explorer Plus as my EDC and boy does it look tiny compared to the SwissChamp. :)   I carried the Champ in my front pocket today and it really was not that bad. The Champ will probably live in the Glove department and be my emergency go to SAK when going out of my everyday Urban environment.   

Then again.. I may just EDC this.  I just have to add another notch in my belt to keep my pants from falling.  :)

A wise man speaks few words

Offline Jasta

Reply #166 on: June 08, 2013, 02:36:13 PM
Count me in too! I have a black scaled one and its a doozy! Great SAK, I don't travel without it but EDC a Sportsman!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #167 on: June 08, 2013, 05:47:39 PM
I just got my Swiss Champ today!   I got it Brand New off Ebay for 35 bucks free shipping.  I got the Plastic Magnifier version ( I actually prefer reading with this one).

I carry an Explorer Plus as my EDC and boy does it look tiny compared to the SwissChamp. :)   I carried the Champ in my front pocket today and it really was not that bad. The Champ will probably live in the Glove department and be my emergency go to SAK when going out of my everyday Urban environment.   

Then again.. I may just EDC this.  I just have to add another notch in my belt to keep my pants from falling.  :)

Try it on a P-7 clip to the front pocket.  It works very well and it doesnt feel heavy. :D

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #168 on: June 08, 2013, 05:49:35 PM
Not to hijack the thread but did anyone see that show "ultimate survival alaska"?  On the last episode the guy with the gray beard had a swisschamp digging into their food cooking pot to dig out some food for another guy.

I am sure it was a swisschamp as it had alot of layers but could be wrong! :D

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #169 on: June 08, 2013, 06:18:06 PM
Does a swiss champion plus count? Don't have pliers, my grandfather gave it to me when I was 12, it was my first knife, needless to say six months later I lost it in the woods, :cry: yet after sitting a whole year in the woods I found it :woohoo: cleaned it up and have it to this day! And when oldest son turned 12, I bought him his very own! Took him a little over a month to de-virginize his fingers from cuts, couldn't be any more proud! :clap: Lol JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #170 on: June 08, 2013, 06:57:56 PM
Champion is Swisschamp's father. My cousin had a Champion and I, jealous of it, was ready to buy my own. As soon as I had the money, the Swisschamp with pliers was out and got this instead. I was very happy and a faithful SAK lover ever since, although I never had many or collectibles, just users (XAVT is the first I keep for demonstration).
We should accept Swisschamp's father here.

us Offline Kid33

Reply #171 on: June 10, 2013, 08:53:19 AM

Try it on a P-7 clip to the front pocket.  It works very well and it doesnt feel heavy. :D

I ordered a P-7 clip based on your recommendation. I also ordered a Gizmo clip.  I will be curious to try it out.  Cheers :cheers:

By the way, this seller just added 3 more of the 35 dollar free shipping Swiss Champs on Ebay.  Not a bad price.  Mine arrived without a box but basically brand new with oil still on the tools.  Id say these will go fast

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300917917948?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

A wise man speaks few words

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #172 on: June 10, 2013, 10:11:53 AM
A few years ago I bought an older SwissChamp (with the old style mag glass) off of Felinevet. It needed some TLC and I had a great time restoring it. Replaced the scissors/pliers springs, sharpened the blades, sanded and re-polished the trashed knife, replaced the scales that were falling off with shiny new black ones. Was a fun project. It would go on to become my sole EDC for about a year after that. I haven't actually carried it in probably 2 years now, but it's also about the only multi I will take to my grave. Fantastic tool that just has such a rich history behind it. Anyone who has any interest in multis at all needs to own one at some point, even if they don't like SAKs. The SwissChamp really is THE quintessential multitool.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 10:15:42 AM by thebullfrog »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #173 on: June 10, 2013, 11:01:36 AM
A few years ago I bought an older SwissChamp (with the old style mag glass) off of Felinevet. It needed some TLC and I had a great time restoring it. Replaced the scissors/pliers springs, sharpened the blades, sanded and re-polished the trashed knife, replaced the scales that were falling off with shiny new black ones. Was a fun project. It would go on to become my sole EDC for about a year after that. I haven't actually carried it in probably 2 years now, but it's also about the only multi I will take to my grave. Fantastic tool that just has such a rich history behind it. Anyone who has any interest in multis at all needs to own one at some point, even if they don't like SAKs. The SwissChamp really is THE quintessential multitool.

Great story - we need pics!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #174 on: June 10, 2013, 11:41:10 AM
I actually have a couple posted up on here someplace. It's 5 AM and Im not about to go looking now lol.

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #175 on: June 10, 2013, 01:47:06 PM
Pics would be nice huh, here's my 22yr old champion plus sorry the pics ain't the greatest,, JR
After sitting in the woods after a year I cleaned it up, but there's still some pitting in the aluminum, kinda hard to see, but I don't use it, it's more for a memory for being my first knife and a promise my grandfather kept to me since he passed,
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #176 on: June 10, 2013, 04:34:07 PM

Great story - we need pics!

Here's a thread from a few years ago I started post-restoration. You can see the scales were already pretty used looking. It was just after I got back from a vacation in Colorado where it got scraped against a lot of rocks. The restoration was only about 3 weeks old when I took those pics, to give you an idea of how much I used the thing back then.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,24047.msg440157.html#msg440157

us Offline Jailbird

Reply #177 on: June 10, 2013, 06:05:04 PM
Champion is Swisschamp's father. My cousin had a Champion and I, jealous of it, was ready to buy my own. As soon as I had the money, the Swisschamp with pliers was out and got this instead. I was very happy and a faithful SAK lover ever since, although I never had many or collectibles, just users (XAVT is the first I keep for demonstration).
We should accept Swisschamp's father here.

In that case, I'm in with my NIB Champion. I'm guessing it is one of the early ones because of the tweezers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #178 on: June 10, 2013, 06:33:27 PM
Nice jailbird  :drool:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #179 on: June 10, 2013, 07:02:02 PM

I ordered a P-7 clip based on your recommendation. I also ordered a Gizmo clip.  I will be curious to try it out.  Cheers :cheers:

By the way, this seller just added 3 more of the 35 dollar free shipping Swiss Champs on Ebay.  Not a bad price.  Mine arrived without a box but basically brand new with oil still on the tools.  Id say these will go fast

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300917917948?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Let me know what you think when you get the clip and try it out!  That is a good price for basically a new swisschamp! :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%