Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Small Plier Tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Small Plier Tools
on: December 06, 2006, 03:41:41 AM
Anyone else have an affinity for small, keychain sized plier tools?  I used to think they were kind of flimsy and not strong enough for "real" work, but since I got my first SwissTech Microtech (on my second one now- thanks Brian!), I have been eating those words. 

The SwissTech is a capable, if simplistic little tool.  It's also virtually indestructable, although I do wish I had gotten the Micro Pro with the extra little eyeglass screwdrivers.

I also have a LM Squirt E4- actually mine is the older, Radio Shack branded tool, but I'll tell you, it's handy as heck, even though the pliers aren't quite as robust as the SwissTech.  As Bob pointed out in his review of it (currently in the Review Forum because some lazy Administrator hasn't had a chance to move it to the main site!) it has quite a set of serious little implements on it as well.

The next two keychain pliers I have came at the same time- the SeberTech M3 and the SOG CrossGrip.  These are both really cool little tools, and I really like them both.  The M3 is kind of like an upgraded Microtech (actually more like the MicroPro because it has the afore mentioned mini screwdrivers) since it has a longer plier head, doesn't rust (probably the only serious drawback to the Microtech) and is significantly lighter (46.5 grams versus 37.1).  Handy little bugger.

Now the CrosGrip is actually in a catagory of it's own as far as keychain tools go.  With SOG's patented compound leverage and the seriously strong short plier head it seems sturdier than many tools that are much larger.  When you are using the CrissGrip it's really hard to believe that it will fold up and fit on your keys, taking up little more space than a Micra!

Teeny little plier tools... what will they think of next?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: Small Plier Tools
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 04:02:53 AM
Just got a Squirt P4 in today...took about 5 tries to get a beer open with the bottle opener after ripping the cap to bits since the opener is so skinny...no biggie though, it't not a dedicated bottle opener so I shoulden't complaign :)

The pliers click open and closed nice and strong, as do the tools.  Wire cutters cut nice and clean (a good way to see if the plier halves are off).  Since I got it used on ebay I cleaned it up a bit with WD-40 and toothpicks/q-tips...nice addition to my keys.

[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 04:20:21 AM
Just got a Squirt P4 in today...took about 5 tries to get a beer open with the bottle opener after ripping the cap to bits since the opener is so skinny...no biggie though, it't not a dedicated bottle opener so I shoulden't complaign :)

That sounds like the same problem Def was talking about, down near the bottom here:  http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,427.0.html
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 04:26:08 AM
yep, same experience here.  I took my 'regular' bottle opener off my keychain and put the Squirt there thinking 'wow, now I replaced a bottle opener with like 10 tools!!!'...then after struggling with opening the bottle, I put the big opener back on next to the Squirt :)
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 04:34:03 AM
Bummer.

(but if you ever need to rip up a bottle cap in an emergency, at least now you'll have the perfect tool right there with you!)  :laugh:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 06:28:20 AM
Hehe... doesn't anyone know about twist off caps???
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline bobofish

Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 09:53:38 AM
I had to retire my handy bottle opener given to me by one of the Widmer brothers. (Anybody here drink microbrews? I live in Portland, so SUCK ON IT!  :D)

I just....er....opened too many beer bottles. It sits in a place of honor on one of my bookshelves.

Tonight I christened the carabiner/bottle opener on my newish Leatherman folder. Worked well I must say.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 10:25:13 AM

Tonight I christened the carabiner/bottle opener on my newish Leatherman folder. Worked well I must say.
I used the carabiner/bottle opener on my LM folder today also, no beer though, just a yoo-hoo ::)
"

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 12:02:21 PM
The only ones I got are the Clutch which is pretty cool, and the like Def mentioned...the SOG CrossGrip, definatly in a catagory all it's own. Still can't get over that wierd phillips though, what were the minds at SOG thinking?!?!

David

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD