Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which Victorinox Black Alox to buy?

ziki · 43 · 9758

Offline ziki

Which Victorinox Black Alox to buy?
on: April 09, 2013, 12:41:07 AM
Tihs will be my first SAK ever, and i would like it to be from the Black Alox line, cause i really like the looks of it. I have narrow it down to Cadet, Pioneer, Rambler and Farmer, but don't know what to do? I'm mostly thinking of cadet cause its the thinner, with only 2 layers, but it will lack tools for its price, so Pioneer and Farmer seem more complete and feature rich. Have you tried any of these? What are your thoughts? Please help me make the right decision! thank You :)

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Re: Which Victorinox Black Alox to buy?
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 12:44:50 AM
Hi welcome to the forum! You may want to introduce yourself here. http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?board=23.0
Someone should be around soon to answer your question. I can't because I haven't used a lot of those knives.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 12:58:22 AM
I would choose a 93mm for sure, the pioneer or farmer.  They feel so robust in hand and are wonderful knives.  The cadet is nice too, but I really love the beefy blade and tools of the 93mm line.  If you dont need a saw then just go with a black alox pioneer, you wont be sorry! :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 12:58:32 AM
Farmer. not that much thicker and it is one sweet sak.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 01:07:15 AM
Farmer. not that much thicker and it is one sweet sak.

+1 I don't use the saw all that much, but the extra layer actually makes the Farmer feel better in my hand than the Pioneer.  The Cadet is also a sweet knife, but the Farmer is a tank.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 01:32:34 AM
If it is for office pants, then cadet all the way. If not farmer is mo comfortable in hand IMO. Black farmers are "rarer" so if you can get one jump on the chance. As for a pioneer, try to get an SI before they disappear.

Cheers
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 03:47:44 AM
Welcome to the forum :cheers:  I have the black Pioneer and it's very  8)
I would say it depends on whether or not you need the saw, or if you think that 3rd layer will feel better in hand as others have said.  Also, black Pioneers are readily available, and I'm not sure that's true for black Farmers.
K-Tibbs

us Offline ameeks

• A quality knife is a companion for life.
Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 04:33:52 AM
+1 on 93mm. They're sturdier and fill the hand.
Be Prepared.
A quality knife is a companion for life.
My Blog

Offline nic

Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 05:31:17 AM
From a utilitarian perspective, the addition of the awl makes the Pioneer/SI/Farmer better tools. It is not just for making holes, but functions as a coarse blade, for tasks that may mess up your main blade. Opening boxes, popping zip ties, scraping crud, the awl is your go to.

I would say Pioneer for city living/dress trousers at work and the farmer for outdoor stuff, casual dress work environment.

Offline ziki

Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 09:03:29 AM
I would like this mostly As EDC. City living as you say. I just want my first blade to be something i carry around with me on my jeans in case i need it. I need it to be light and thin, thus i'm leaning more towards the cadet, but its price is like double the pioneer or farmer. I can get the Pioneer for 28 Euros, the Farmer for 30 but Cadet Black Limited is 45. It costs more for less tools since its limited.

Another thing that i'd like would be scissors in case i need to cut paper sometimes, but scissors are usually found on more bulky SAKs. Any thin Alox knive with scissors that is worth it? Also can scissors on Saks have niceresults?

Also another confusion is the colour. I'd really like it to be Black but i can Find the Cadet in Orange Blue and other Colours, available n my Region so maybe i could go for a Blue or Orange which are rarer and go for a Black Later. Silver is the most common, and you can get almost any Alox with Silver.

Since i have never used/held one i dont know which feels better, so i just thought the lighter it is the better it will feel on my pocket, since i wont need the bulk. But it possible it wont fell good on hand. But i guess the 93 will have better blades, and 3 layer should feel make you fell more content when holding it. I dunno so confused.

Maybe buy one for start and then go for another one later on the way?

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 10:18:16 AM
I would like this mostly As EDC. City living as you say. I just want my first blade to be something i carry around with me on my jeans in case i need it. I need it to be light and thin, thus i'm leaning more towards the cadet, but its price is like double the pioneer or farmer. I can get the Pioneer for 28 Euros, the Farmer for 30 but Cadet Black Limited is 45. It costs more for less tools since its limited.

Another thing that i'd like would be scissors in case i need to cut paper sometimes, but scissors are usually found on more bulky SAKs. Any thin Alox knive with scissors that is worth it? Also can scissors on Saks have niceresults?

Sadly, there are no factory alox SAK's with scissors. SAK scissors -are- very good, though.

Also another confusion is the colour. I'd really like it to be Black but i can Find the Cadet in Orange Blue and other Colours, available n my Region so maybe i could go for a Blue or Orange which are rarer and go for a Black Later. Silver is the most common, and you can get almost any Alox with Silver.

Since i have never used/held one i dont know which feels better, so i just thought the lighter it is the better it will feel on my pocket, since i wont need the bulk. But it possible it wont fell good on hand. But i guess the 93 will have better blades, and 3 layer should feel make you fell more content when holding it. I dunno so confused.

I don't have a cadet personally, but do have an alox Bantam, which really is small, even for my average hands. The pioneer feels just fine for me, too, and as you'd like something light, I wouldn't go for the farmer (yet).

Maybe buy one for start and then go for another one later on the way?

That's always the best way here! Why not just get both?  :whistle: :tu:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 12:21:24 PM
The Cadet is a great little knife, but at the prices you're looking at I would say go for the Pioneer unless you are likely to be doing a lot of hiking/camping. The saw is not hugely useful day to day in an urban environment. (watch me get flamed for that comment)

But the true answer is buy one of each, starting with the Pioneer, then the Rambler for your keyring to get the scissors and follow up with the Farmer for camping and the Cadet for Formal dress.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 01:26:35 PM
The limited cadets are meh. There are also regular priced black ones but maybe not in your area.  Your best bet is to get the black pioneer and farmer and ask nicely for a classic. Some folks around here have more than they know what to with. If you have no takers on the classic, I can send you a rogue when my other comes back from Vic after it is repaired.

Or you can pick up a pioneer plus a rambler. They make for a very good pair!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 05:00:49 PM
Yeah, unfortunately no scissors on the Alox models, unless you are willing to pay a pretty penny to have someone add them for you.  There are a few members that do that type of thing, but you'll likely have to pay considerably more than the whole SAK cost you to begin with. 

If you want light and thin, then I would say go with the Pioneer or Cadet, but it sounds like you're leaning towards the Pioneer between those two.  I agree with PTRSAK that the saw is not typically all that useful in the urban setting.  However, if you do much outdoors type activity, then you may have use for the saw.  It doesn't sound like you would have much use for one though. 

Who knows?  Eventually you will probably end up with both, or the Pioneer and another SAK to compliment it.  It's a slippery slope once you get a SAK or two ;)
K-Tibbs

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 05:05:11 PM
Vic should do an urban farmer.  Metal saw in place of wood saw.  Id find that more useful personally.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 05:14:31 PM
Vic should do an urban farmer.  Metal saw in place of wood saw.  Id find that more useful personally.

+1 to that idea :tu:  I would buy that for sure.
K-Tibbs

cz Offline Rahmed

Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 07:35:59 PM
I agree 8)
This is the most tempting urban model for me... blade, scissors, metal file, combo :tu:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 09:07:52 PM
I EDC a black alox pioneer on me and a black alox classic on the keys.  I have previously EDC'd cadets as well.

I think, for the prices you listed, you would be better served by the pioneer.  It is still light and thin, thinner than a standard two-layer cellidor SAK.

If you need scissors, you could go with an alox classic (or rambler as you mentioned in your post, but I think these are custom and more expensive).

I agree that the saw is of limited utility in the urban jungle, although many people still prefer the three-layer alox because the added thickness can make it feel better in bigger hands.

With any of the choices listed, you can't really go wrong :cheers:
EDC.jpg
* EDC.jpg (Filesize: 243.32 KB)
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 10:58:09 PM
Go with the Black Alox Pioneer. You will not regret it. If you HAVE to have Scissors then find someone to MOD your Pioneer to add the scissors otherwise pack a classic along with your Pioneer.

Offline ziki

Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 11:08:28 PM
OK, so I Actually decided to start a Collection!

I should get a Farmer in Silver since its the most difficult to get in other colours.

I will get a Black Rambler

A Blue or Maybe Orange Cadet Limited,

and finally what other colour is left for the Pioneer in order to complete the color Spectrum?

I would Prefer though to get the Pioneer in Black but i dont know if that will me a different colour option for the Rambler. Plus Black Alox Pioneer is difficult to get where i'm at at...

I will start with Either the Pioneer, or the Cadet, i will then get to the Rambler, and i will get the Farmer last since i agree the saw although usefull, i wont find myself using it often!

Also is it possible to fit my door keys on my SAK?

I agree 8)
This is the most tempting urban model for me... blade, scissors, metal file, combo :tu:

(Image removed from quote.)

Love it. Is this an existing model, or did you have it custom made?

I EDC a black alox pioneer on me and a black alox classic on the keys.  I have previously EDC'd cadets as well.

I think, for the prices you listed, you would be better served by the pioneer.  It is still light and thin, thinner than a standard two-layer cellidor SAK.

If you need scissors, you could go with an alox classic (or rambler as you mentioned in your post, but I think these are custom and more expensive).

I agree that the saw is of limited utility in the urban jungle, although many people still prefer the three-layer alox because the added thickness can make it feel better in bigger hands.

With any of the choices listed, you can't really go wrong :cheers:

Nice pic, so i see these are the alox classic and pioneer. Is the Cadec somewhere in the middle on terms of size?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 11:21:20 PM
Nice pic, so i see these are the alox classic and pioneer. Is the Cadec somewhere in the middle on terms of size?

I think so.  Sorry for the poor quality pic, but its the only one I had offhand showing the 84mm Cadet and a 93mm knife (soldiers, same size/tools as the pioneer; Red farmer on top).
DSC_0315.JPG
* DSC_0315.JPG (Filesize: 365.95 KB)
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 01:57:48 AM
Here's my Pioneer with monkey fist lanyard.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1365551835046.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1365551835046.jpg (Filesize: 38.91 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1365551857831.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1365551857831.jpg (Filesize: 59.8 KB)
K-Tibbs

Offline ziki

Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 09:34:03 AM
Guys my final question is whats the difference between blades? Are blades on different sizes alway different?

Since rambler is the smallest, i see it has a thin blade that is the same size as the nail trimmer, so that wont do. But between 84-91-3mm what are the differences? IS there a pic that shows these blades side-to-side?

Also The pioneer range farmer, seems even better. Instead of a can opener it offers a pruning tool as well. Also the Electrician plus has the same tools as the range farmer but instead of pruning it has a larger blade for wire cutting. These two seem like good options as well, for my future collection!

Monrogue

Very Nice Knot. IF the one i get has a keyring i will sport one as well, thanx for the idea!

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 09:48:15 AM
The different blade sizes...

Pic from SAKWIKI

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 10:49:55 AM
If you can get the harvester (pruner blade) or electrician plus (electrician blade), by means jump on those.  The harvester (saw) or pioneer rancher (no saw) might be the best bet for a starter as you get the main blade and the pruner which has different function.  Not sure if they are available in black though. 

Offline ziki

Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 02:56:16 PM
Is the Pioneer Black Alox discontinued or still in production? Cause i see no mention of it on the Victorinox main page. The store clerk, said that if i can get the code id maybe he can order it for me if its still in production. If not i see my self getting an orange or Blue Cadet Limited.

PTRSAK

Thanx for that man, it really helps!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 04:42:40 PM
Hey ziki,
The black Pioneer is available on Amazon using this code:  B0019MLZB6
However, I don't know if this applies if you are not in the US as I believe there is a UK Amazon and maybe others? 

I also have the Pioneer Rancher (the one without the saw that just has the pruner blade in place of the can opener) and I do love that pruner blade :tu:  I don't think it's available in anything other than the normal silver though. 

Thanks for the kind words on my lanyard, but I can't take credit as I purchased it on Amazon as well.  Here is the info for that:  United Cutlery UC2844 Elite for CES Paracord Monkey Fist, Black
K-Tibbs

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 07:14:28 PM
May I mention a rare beauty? Not sure about it's name, it has to do with railways I believe.

A pair of scissors in that one and I can die in peace. :angel:

I agree 8)

:drool: :drool: :drool: :gimme: Congratulations Rahmed, that's a very cool one even if I'm not fond of the combo tool :salute:
+1 on the pruning blade, really useful on some occasions :tu:
I'm not sure I see what you're looking for, sorry. Welcome to the forums  :whistle:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Offline ziki

Reply #28 on: April 11, 2013, 02:20:46 PM
I just found a shop nearby that Sells Victorinox alox blades, and they asked around for me, and it seems that Coloured Pionner, like Black Alox, Green Alox etc, wer only made in 2011 by swiss bianco on limited quantities. So Victorinox doesnt produce them or sell them directly. Any idea if i can found such pieces around, on Europe? I would love a Black Alox Pioneer and a Green MiniChamp which is even better than the rambler for a 58mm SAK for my keaychain.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 06:44:54 AM
Black alox farmers are available in Europe ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorinox-Knife-93mm-Alox-FARMER-Black-LTD-2011-Italy-/350559685511?pt=Campeggio_Attrezzature&hash=item519efc4b87

Black alox cadets and pioneers are available in the USA relatively easily on ebay for just a few bucks more than silver as well.

Where are you located?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%