Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What Wenger designs will Vic keep?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
What Wenger designs will Vic keep?
on: April 11, 2013, 05:36:19 PM
Anyone care to guess if Victorinox will keep any of the Wenger tool designs and incorporate them into future Vic products?

I'd like to see the flathead driver lock adopted by Victorinox.

I'm about 50/50 on the scissors, but at least they could maybe adopt the 85mm scissors into an 84mm Vic.

As much as I prefer the Wenger can opener to the Vic's for opening cans, I actually prefer the Vic's as an overall tool.

I prefer the toothpick and tweezers in the Wenger 85mm to the standard style used by Vic. I seem to lose the Vic toothpic with frightening regularity, and I'm careful about that kind of stuff.

EDIT: I do understand how unlikely it is for Vic to retool, or change any of the their production line, but thought I'd ask anyway.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: What Wenger designs will Vic keep?
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 05:43:28 PM
I don't think they will. If they were going to, they would have already done it.

sent from Ducttapetech's roaming device

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 04:24:27 AM
I know a bunch of people here want the wenger universal wrench. Personally I'm still not over Wenger going bye bye so I'm not sure what I want them to keep or get rid of. I don't think vic will keep much, unless they use Wengers to expand their currently lame (compared to in the past) 84mm line.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 04:44:53 AM
I'm wondering what Victorinox knives may be dropped.  I'm pretty sure they've been closing out the 74mm line for a while, just shipping from inventory.  Starting with "A" you all know what else might go, but I don't even want to think about it or mention it.  I'm hoping for the best.

For the Wenger knives, there was a press release that said they would keep 2/3rds... not sure how that is possible, but the current Wenger line is not that big so it might be possible. 

Since they recently started referring to the New Rangers as 130mm, I'm thinking, and, hoping, they plan on keeping several of those as they do complement Victorinox's offerings.

To be honest if they dump the current 85mm line I would not be too upset.  However, the locking blade is a nice feature for some people, and they have the technology to apply Realtree camo.  I think if you look at the models Wenger as been offering lately with its special scale options, that might be a good indication of which models Victorinox plans to keep if there is enough demand for them.  If they keep 85mm they need to make more models with the small blade, Wenger's facination with the nailfile in this line is annoying. I suspect they will still want to continue targeting the outdoors and sports markets where Victorinox has staked new ground with the Hunter XT and XS (fine knives), and some boring and poorly designed kits built around their paring knives.

I hope after the unification is more complete we'll see Victorinox release some PVD coated models.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 05:06:00 AM by ICanFixThat »

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 04:59:06 AM
Whatever happens, sakwiki is going to need some work...

Offline nic

Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 01:10:21 PM
The TSA is specifically using a picture of a Tinker Small as part of its carry on knife guideline. Strangely, I think that the Tinker Small blade is a few mm too long, but if it is on every publication as the 'typical' approved knife, I suspect you will have no issues with carry.

I bet that post April 25th, we will see an expansion of the 84mm line with some Wenger like models, and the reappearance of Victorinox knives at duty free stores.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 04:32:51 PM
The TSA is specifically using a picture of a Tinker Small as part of its carry on knife guideline. Strangely, I think that the Tinker Small blade is a few mm too long, but if it is on every publication as the 'typical' approved knife, I suspect you will have no issues with carry.

I bet that post April 25th, we will see an expansion of the 84mm line with some Wenger like models, and the reappearance of Victorinox knives at duty free stores.
I wouldn't count on that too much... As in Europe, the TSA also seems to have a backup rule:
(from tsa.gov)

It’s important to know that even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 04:35:45 PM

To be accurate; the TSA does not use a picture of a Tinker small in its guidelines, it simply has a picture of a generic knife which could be any clone.

However; you are right, that the new rules may influence the selection of 85mm and 84mm knives that stay in production.  I can't see any of the wenger 65mm models remaining for very long, and I can't see the 74mm knives being expanded (I think they are toast), so the 85mm Wenger models might fill an important niche, although most important for Victorinox is that their 58mm knives will be allowed again... this is probably all they really care about, but some customers will appreciate it if they can carry something a little larger.  The 84mm blades on the Pocket-Pals and Secretaries are also slightly smaller so they might pass even the legal spec.  I think I read the Wenger Junior blades also pass the strick letter of the law.  I would be happy to be wrong about the 74mm series.

Offline nic

Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 05:36:08 PM
To be accurate; the TSA does not use a picture of a Tinker small in its guidelines, it simply has a picture of a generic knife which could be any clone.

You are right, it could also be a Wenger Classic.

I can't see why Victorinox would dispute the use of their knife and branding though. The smart thing would be to exploit their brand visibility, rendering their line of knives as the defacto standard in legal carry on knives.

And while there is an existing line of knives that may fit the TSA rules, value adding layers of tools and upping the sticker price to match is the core business of the Victorinox that we all love. 84-85mm is literally the most knife that you can buy that also fits the regulations. I think that the new ruling is going to actively drive knife design by all manufacturers.

I wouldn't count on that too much... As in Europe, the TSA also seems to have a backup rule:

Given that TSA regulations, and other related paranoid laws imploded the market for EDC knives and were a major factor in the collapse of Wenger and dropping profits for Victorinox, being at the forefront of the return of small knives would be of critical importance. I cant think of a better way of doing that than producing knives that fit the TSA exemption to the letter of the law, and selling them in the sterile areas of airport terminals.

Of course, the new regulations are specific to the US, but the regulations that are in place worldwide were in many cases insisted on by the US. Countries were given deadlines to get their security up to 'TSA compliant' standards, after which no flights were able to depart towards US territory. I hope that the reverse will also occur.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:39:00 PM by nic »

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 06:46:58 PM

You are right, it could also be a Wenger Classic.

I can't see why Victorinox would dispute the use of their knife and branding though. The smart thing would be to exploit their brand visibility, rendering their line of knives as the defacto standard in legal carry on knives.

And while there is an existing line of knives that may fit the TSA rules, value adding layers of tools and upping the sticker price to match is the core business of the Victorinox that we all love. 84-85mm is literally the most knife that you can buy that also fits the regulations. I think that the new ruling is going to actively drive knife design by all manufacturers.

Given that TSA regulations, and other related paranoid laws imploded the market for EDC knives and were a major factor in the collapse of Wenger and dropping profits for Victorinox, being at the forefront of the return of small knives would be of critical importance. I cant think of a better way of doing that than producing knives that fit the TSA exemption to the letter of the law, and selling them in the sterile areas of airport terminals.

Of course, the new regulations are specific to the US, but the regulations that are in place worldwide were in many cases insisted on by the US. Countries were given deadlines to get their security up to 'TSA compliant' standards, after which no flights were able to depart towards US territory. I hope that the reverse will also occur.
Actually, European standards already "allowed" knife blades under six centimeters. There was this little thing though, that says: (http://www.schiphol.nl/web/file?uuid=f77152fd-73e4-4f5f-a998-cfb3ffc3c8af&owner=075462bd-decb-4399-b0bb-3bc1f41dd96a)
Security staff may refuse access to security-restricted areas of the
airport and/or to the passenger cabin of the aircraft to anyone who
is in possession of an item which, even though it does not appear on
this list, is of concern to the security staff.
No rights may be derived from this list. The security agent has the
right to refuse any article for reasons of safety.
I can only assume the TSA has a similar rule, which will make it impossible for Vic to sell knives behind the check-in.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

Offline nic

Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 06:58:19 PM
The fact that the TSA have just announced this significant change in their restrictions, suggests that they actually are relaxing carry on restrictions. We will find out on April 25th I guess.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 09:02:35 PM

It is a good question what they will keep?, i guess the best of both and the bestsellers.

I got told the 85mm Wenger Classics are in duplication danger, but i am not sure.

Since Victorinox is the strongest in business they bought Wenger. The story is they have been in competition with knives since the takeover in 2005. If so, since Victorinox did mention sometimes in competition.

It all began in 1884 and for Wenger in 1893
The competition is a key part for me, without this it is just one Brand. I got no clue on business but i do know the differences between the knives.

Victorinox today got much more than knives and Watches, this is for safety. It is dangerous to rely on just one product.

It is going to be very strange to see the knives from Wenger with Victorinox stamps, it is sad.
The whole thing is sad. I really thought the Victorinox company did so well that Wenger could be saved. I read on brilliant business and an award.

The problem is that they can not be in competition with themselves. I just guess that the new markeds will require a new product range. Better developed for the global brand future.

It is sad the hard reality, it is the end of an incredible history.

Wenger is an unpredictable brand, not negative but positive meaning. They came out with surprise knives. This is a factor to remember.

The takeover really started in 2003 and in 2013 complete.

I love both Brands and all the friends there for ever, i just do not agree on this merging. I also hate to guess and we must wait and see.

what will happen with the crossbow??

Get more tools

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 09:46:03 AM
That is a very astute observation about how the TSA policy will influence SAK design going forward.  The 84/5 line is probably in for a complete overhaul.  Vic is not dedicated to 84 line very much (how many models are still in production,4- my first, cadet, recruit, tinker small?), so a 100% retooling could be in the works, or maybe just the mainblade length Vicengers? 
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

us Offline stax

Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 05:06:25 PM
That is a very astute observation about how the TSA policy will influence SAK design going forward.  The 84/5 line is probably in for a complete overhaul.  Vic is not dedicated to 84 line very much (how many models are still in production,4- my first, cadet, recruit, tinker small?), so a 100% retooling could be in the works, or maybe just the mainblade length Vicengers?

I agree that is an astute observation, but, were I a Vic executive, I would be wary of investing in a 100% retooling knowing that US Congress could override the new TSA policy at any time with new legislation, as is being threatened by some politicians.  Then again, perhaps I am not too worried about this if my marketing strategy is not being driven by future US sales.  :think:  Interesting times right now in the SAK world.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%