Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Giant Fans

marduk · 12 · 1372

Offline marduk

Giant Fans
on: April 22, 2013, 03:58:03 PM
I notice that all the pictures of the Wenger Giant show all the blades in an open position. I believe that they also come open from Wenger in the presentation case. If any of you are lucky enough (or rich enough) to have purchased the Giant, I ask: Do you keep the blades open or do you close them? I ask this since opening all the blades at the same time tends to weaken the springs. Are the Giant's springs extra strong? Or does Wenger expect that the knife is exclusively for show and no one is expected to actually use any of the blades, so who cares if the springs are weakened?

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Re: Giant Fans
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 04:18:57 PM
Here's a giant fan:

More Giant fans:

:D
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 04:42:05 PM
;)

If someone actually uses the Giant, I want to see a video of them doing it. :D

Except Top Gear of course. >:D

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,23931.msg438008.html#msg438008

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 04:46:46 PM
I believe that having the blades all fully opened or all fully closed does the very same stress to the springs, which is minimal.
The big stress is by having the blades half opened, like for example to show all the implements of a knife.
Oh, and by the way, you don't really need to be extra rich to own a Giant these days: I saw two recently sold on ebay.it and ebay.de. Both went for around € 200.

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 05:46:08 PM

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 06:04:30 PM
You forgot about the SF Giants fans.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 06:15:29 PM
I leave them open. There is a least one blade that is too long for the 85mm frame. If you close it, the blade sticks out past the the end of the knife

us Offline stealth007s

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 01:23:22 AM
You forgot about the SF Giants fans.

That's what I thought this thread was about :think:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

Offline space cowboy

Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 01:26:32 AM
Its impossible to carry that in a pocket IMO..!

Offline marduk

Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 01:56:50 AM
Basilio, many thanks for the information. I'm surprised to hear they are selling so cheaply on the Continent. On eBay US they're going from 1100 to over 1500 dollars. It's usually the reverse.

If I remember correctly there was an article on one of the knife sites about the Giant which explained that they are all constructed by one individual at Delemont.

I wonder if we've seen the last of the Wenger Giant or if Vic will continue the tradition and produce a Vic Giant.

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 02:45:41 AM
Basilio, many thanks for the information. I'm surprised to hear they are selling so cheaply on the Continent. On eBay US they're going from 1100 to over 1500 dollars. It's usually the reverse.

If I remember correctly there was an article on one of the knife sites about the Giant which explained that they are all constructed by one individual at Delemont.

I wonder if we've seen the last of the Wenger Giant or if Vic will continue the tradition and produce a Vic Giant.

that's a very good point, especially since Victorinox now owns both labels.hmmm... it will be nice to see a giant Vic tho... but then again maybe not. Vic always came as very "streamlined" or maybe "economical" when coming out with new knives (with the exception of the new 2013 outdooorsman ...can't wait for that one)... but wenger is more like a "way out there"... unpredictable to a certain extent...I dunno... I can't come up with the right words
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 09:12:13 AM

Prices in the shops here are almost the same.
However, if you search hard you can find good deals.
In both the auctions I saw the knife has been described as "swiss knife" if I remember correctly (in the italian auction even "Victorinox knife"), no use of the word "Giant".

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%