Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

French Army

jzmtl · 20 · 1922

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
French Army
on: April 26, 2013, 02:32:33 AM
As much as English speaking world love to make fun of the ineptness of French military, the fact remains they are one of the best trained and equipped in the world, and in WWII British folded just as quickly before the Germans and only saved by the English channel.

I came across this article offering some insights, thought it was an interesting read:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/04/24/f-vp-stewart-french-army.html
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:37:40 AM by jzmtl »

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Re: French Army
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 10:21:39 AM
   :rofl:

wales Offline Boyo17

Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 10:44:30 AM
As much as English speaking world love to make fun of the ineptness of French military, the fact remains they are one of the best trained and equipped in the world, and in WWII British folded just as quickly before the Germans and only saved by the English channel.

I came across this article offering some insights, thought it was an interesting read:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/04/24/f-vp-stewart-french-army.html

If you are going to selectively miss-quote history, perhaps you will redress the balance by stating how the British and US and Canadian and allied forces subsequently freed all of occupied France and also freed the half of France that had chosen to collaborate with the Nazis,,,,,, all from the ravages of Germanic invasion and rule

I have never "loved to make fun of the ineptness of French military" that is reserved for the Italians

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 10:56:19 AM by Boyo17 »

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 11:43:49 AM
 :think:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:05:55 PM by Grumpy »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 12:13:31 PM
Wow! This went political quick.  :facepalm:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 12:16:45 PM
This topic is bound to go wrong ...  ::)

I believe what jzmtl was trying to say is, that a lot of the armies from the occupied countries in both World Wars are wrongfully getting branded as being weak, incompetent and even cowardly.  Although the "blitzkrieg tactics" from the mighty German Army also surprised the Brittish Army in the first days of World War 2, and forced them to retreat over the channel to reorganize themselves (and there's absolutely no shame in that).

As a Belgian I'm used of people making fun of our country/army (even by Jeremy Clarkson  :D), but I've done a lot of research and know better, so I don't really care what other people say or think about it.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 12:35:18 PM
PLAY NICELY CHAPS !
it's easy to offend without meaning to , we are all (or should be !) proud of our brave soldiers.
what may be 'lighthearted' banter might not be seen as such by those on the recieving end  :multi:
we're not talking 'football clubs' here it's peoples familys and national pride !

gb Offline Grumpy

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 12:42:02 PM
PLAY NICELY CHAPS !
it's easy to offend without meaning to , we are all (or should be !) proud of our brave soldiers.
what may be 'lighthearted' banter might not be seen as such by those on the recieving end  :multi:
we're not talking 'football clubs' here it's peoples familys and national pride !

+1 :tu:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 01:03:41 PM
People are people, whatever language they speak, god they believe, country they live. We shouldn't argue about this matters. Or before we do, we should consider the whole picture. Like, what would we all be like without La Révolution Française (dead before 40 with lungs filled with coal and empty stomachs history of medicine dictates). Or the Industrial Revolution on the other hand. People from everywhere contributed to modern achievements, good and bad.

wales Offline Boyo17

Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 02:01:43 PM
Sorry folks ,,, :)

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 03:04:45 PM
Sorry folks ,,, :)

S'all good.... we just have a big fat NO politics/religion rule here. It means we can all be lovers instead of fighters :dd:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 07:49:13 PM

:imws: (Jacques Brel, though he was Belgian.)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 08:06:25 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 09:34:05 PM
Yeah, never mind, just delete the thread...

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 11:35:29 PM
I don't think anyone who's read about how hard the maquis and other resistance groups fought, could ever doubt there bravery :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

wales Offline Boyo17

Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 09:07:37 AM
Is this thread still here??

I agree that huge numbers of the French Resistance and ordinary members of the French population showed extreme bravery in their fight against the Occupying army.  I often wonder how such resistance would manifest itself in today's society,,,, but looking at the problems the British police and military have in controlling relatively minor riots and protests by citizens in our era I guess that resistance would be very strong against any occupying force.  Our spirit lives on

There is a darker side of course,,,,, there's always a dark side!!        There were members of the French resistance who were working for the German and assisted in the capturing of fellow citizens and even family. The captured were often summarily executed or tortured by the Gestapo to release more details.  And there were many more people coerced and threatened to assist the Germans.  I don't think it's fair to label collaborators as weak or cowards,,, I think they were brave as well,, but trapped in their personal hell with no easy way out   

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 12:51:07 PM
Boyo, to address your comments about the Brits of today offering 'resistance against an occupying force' and compairing it to the 'riots' of moddern times. All i can say is WTF are you on ? the 'rioters' were nothing more than cowardly thugs out purely to cause harm and line thier own pockets !!! hardly my idea of the Great british spirit  :twak:
the modern police (and nobody would call me thier biggest 'fan') are governed but all manner of 'rules' , and 'occupying force' would present a much firmer hand. The pathetic little idiots wouldn't have anyone to go crying to when they were treated rough ! i'm sure most of the 'Rioters' would have stayed indoors and hoped to be rescued by the the braver members of society (ie. the Army !)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 01:15:36 PM
This is getting very close to crossing the line. We don't allow political discussions here as I'm sure most of you already know.

This thread is been good so far please don't force us to lock it.

Def

Sent from my Motorola Atrix digital multitool.

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 01:20:47 PM
I'm trying to be good  :whistle:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 01:42:33 PM
No worries!  I know folks can behave here!

Def

Sent from my Motorola Atrix digital multitool.

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline Boyo17

Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 02:04:36 PM
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 04:22:02 PM by Boyo17 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91