Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Hobby :)

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
New Hobby :)
on: April 28, 2013, 08:30:31 PM
I've started to make jewelry!  :viking:

Hmm... Even the viking doesn't make that sound manly  ::)

Last year I made a ring for my wife for our 5 year wedding anniversary out of an old silver quarter (see here).

After that project, I had a few other ideas I wanted to try, but didn't get around to it until January.

So, here is what I've been making  :D

All of these are made out of old silver quarters, dimes and copper pennies.  I've used a variety of tools, from dapping blocks (to make the dome shape), micro torches, jeweler's saws and hammers (nothing quite as cathartic as beating the living crap out of a little metal disk with a 24oz ball pein hammer!)

I was intentionally going for the hand made look, so I did not polish or try to otherwise remove the forging marks.

Hope you enjoy.  They aren't the best, but its been fun to make stuff  :cheers:
1small.jpg
* 1small.jpg (Filesize: 116.88 KB)
1bsmall.jpg
* 1bsmall.jpg (Filesize: 117.88 KB)
2small.jpg
* 2small.jpg (Filesize: 139.57 KB)
4small.jpg
* 4small.jpg (Filesize: 152.77 KB)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 08:45:22 PM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Re: New Hobby :)
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 08:31:17 PM
More
3small.jpg
* 3small.jpg (Filesize: 133.56 KB)
3bsmall.jpg
* 3bsmall.jpg (Filesize: 123.14 KB)
5small.jpg
* 5small.jpg (Filesize: 145.97 KB)
6small.jpg
* 6small.jpg (Filesize: 139.11 KB)
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 08:31:33 PM
More

#11 was made using 16ga square copper wire, hammered for texture.  I also started making my own copper jump rings, which you can see on some of the pieces attaching them to the leather cord.
7small.jpg
* 7small.jpg (Filesize: 146.81 KB)
8small.jpg
* 8small.jpg (Filesize: 152.88 KB)
9small.jpg
* 9small.jpg (Filesize: 151.77 KB)
11small.jpg
* 11small.jpg (Filesize: 111.14 KB)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 08:33:21 PM by gustophersmob »

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 08:36:19 PM
This was the most challenging pendant to make so far.  Had fun with soldering for sure  ::)

Also shown is my crude makers mark on the back.  The "DS" are my initials, the "900" represents the silver fineness (900 coin silver, for primarily copper pieces I mark them "950CU") and the "<><" is indicative of my faith.
10small.jpg
* 10small.jpg (Filesize: 99.68 KB)
10bsmall.jpg
* 10bsmall.jpg (Filesize: 63.18 KB)
mmsmall.jpg
* mmsmall.jpg (Filesize: 87.59 KB)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 08:47:07 PM by gustophersmob »

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 08:44:00 PM
And the pièce de résistance, the bracelet.   This is more a proof-of-concept than functional, as it is too top heavy.  It also took the longest to make.

The center piece is a silver quarter with two copper pennies on top.  All three were domed, and the pennies were cut to make the flower petals.  As you can see, I had a bit of a soldering accident, hence the bit of silver showing ::)

The two silver pieces to the left and right of the center started life as two silver dimes.

All of the links and the clasp were made using work-hardened 16ga square copper wire, hammered for texture.

Sorry for the poor pic quality.
bracelet1small.jpg
* bracelet1small.jpg (Filesize: 86.81 KB)
bracelet2small.jpg
* bracelet2small.jpg (Filesize: 87.73 KB)
bracelet3small.jpg
* bracelet3small.jpg (Filesize: 71.18 KB)

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 09:02:37 PM
So, you may be wondering, "why did this bloke post all this jewelry junk on a multitool site?"

Well, I'm wondering that too!   :twak:  ;)

Seriously, though, this forum is the only place I actively post much any more, and there are multiple tools used. ;)

So, here is what I use.

Pic 1 is an overall view of my work area in the garage (and yes, it was stupid cold working out there in January!)

Pic 2, L-R: Piece of a 2x4 with a slot used to straighten and work harden copper wire, piece of 1x4 cut out to allow me to hold pieces while using the jeweler's saw, dapping block set.

Pic 3, L-R: Same dapping block set, jeweler's saw with a small bench block and anvil behind, plate and tweezers for soldering, Blazer micro torch and letter punches in front.

Pic 4: 24 oz hammer in front (I have other hammers as well that I use for more delicate tasks), 3" hobby bench grinder, pickle pot (used to soak items in a weak acid bath to remove flux and fire scale from soldering).

That's all, folks!  :salute:
tools1small.jpg
* tools1small.jpg (Filesize: 162.41 KB)
tools2small.jpg
* tools2small.jpg (Filesize: 150.23 KB)
tools3small.jpg
* tools3small.jpg (Filesize: 171.88 KB)
tools4small.jpg
* tools4small.jpg (Filesize: 158.61 KB)

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 09:43:58 PM
That's a cool use of old coins! I can't really comment on how nice it looks from a fashion standpoint, because I have no sense of that at all (being of the male gender). I think this is my favorite.

It is a really interesting yin yang kind of look.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 09:47:53 PM
Hey your work space is so clean and tidy!  You should see my shop, I really gotta get organized.  I think I need a new work bench for 'clean' work, then put all my grinders and dirty stuff on the back bench I use now.

Back on topic, I find any handmade metal craft/work quite satisfying, and jewelry making would fit in with that as well.  Ive learned alot of techniques in mt SAK modding about metal cutting and finishing that would apply.  I was interested in trying to make some stainless damascus rings for a test run.  The guy I got my bar stock from sell rod stock too.

Good work and thanks for posting.  I'll post up anything I make if I get around to it.  Oh also my wife would be more excited about jewelry than knives I think.  Go figure.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 09:50:23 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 10:01:02 PM
Hey your work space is so clean and tidy!  You should see my shop, I really gotta get organized.  I think I need a new work bench for 'clean' work, then put all my grinders and dirty stuff on the back bench I use now.

Back on topic, I find any handmade metal craft/work quite satisfying, and jewelry making would fit in with that as well.  Ive learned alot of techniques in mt SAK modding about metal cutting and finishing that would apply.  I was interested in trying to make some stainless damascus rings for a test run.  The guy I got my bar stock from sell rod stock too.

Good work and thanks for posting.  I'll post up anything I make if I get around to it.  Oh also my wife would be more excited about jewelry than knives I think.  Go figure.

I'm definitely interested in seeing what you come up with, and may even be interested in a damascus ring if you get around too it.

One thing I like more about silver and copper is that they are much easier to work with than steel.  My few forays into trying SAK mods ended in frustration due to the hardness of the material.  Gave me a whole new respect for what you (and others) are able to do  :salute:

The clean(ish) bench is more of a necessity as we have a small house and a small garage.  So, if I don't keep it clean, I have no man space ;)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 10:17:31 PM
Ah yes silver and copper are nice metals to work with.  I had a request to build a copper scaled SAK, so I'll get to do that in the future. Brass is pretty nice too, it cuts easy and shines nice.  I find steels pretty easy to work if you have belt grinders and all the grits of belts to shape. 

Titanium alloy is evil though.  Much harder to work than steel and eats up blades and abrasives very quick.  It is a horrible conductor of heat, so the heat from cutting isnt dispersed and burns up the cutting tools.  You can hold a short piece of Ti with a bare hand and the other end in open flame and you'll feel no heat.  Its weird.

If you ever need to get a nice flat surface on a piece of metal, I like to use a flat ceramic tile with a littel water on it, and wet/dry sandpaper.  The adhesion of the water holds the sandpaper on, then a few drops of water on the paper and the metal just glides along and its a nice way to sand flat parts.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 10:33:22 PM
Very nice work, but am I the only one thinking steampunk SAKs..? :pok: ;)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 12:02:27 AM
Steampunk SAKs.... awesome...

Cool work there!  Years ago I worked in the watch & jewelry repair section of a high end department store so I can appreciate first hand that kind of thing.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 12:16:56 AM
Ah yes silver and copper are nice metals to work with.  I had a request to build a copper scaled SAK, so I'll get to do that in the future. Brass is pretty nice too, it cuts easy and shines nice.  I find steels pretty easy to work if you have belt grinders and all the grits of belts to shape. 

Titanium alloy is evil though.  Much harder to work than steel and eats up blades and abrasives very quick.  It is a horrible conductor of heat, so the heat from cutting isnt dispersed and burns up the cutting tools.  You can hold a short piece of Ti with a bare hand and the other end in open flame and you'll feel no heat.  Its weird.

If you ever need to get a nice flat surface on a piece of metal, I like to use a flat ceramic tile with a littel water on it, and wet/dry sandpaper.  The adhesion of the water holds the sandpaper on, then a few drops of water on the paper and the metal just glides along and its a nice way to sand flat parts.

That is weird about the titanium.  I've heard of similar things about the tiles used on the Space Shuttle.  One side can be at 2500 deg F, and the other side is completely cool.

I like your idea of the tile and sandpaper, I will give that a try  :tu:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 12:18:25 AM
Very nice work, but am I the only one thinking steampunk SAKs..? :pok: ;)

More up Syph's alley, but this gives me some ideas  >:D (we really need a smiley of Mr. Burns from the Simpsons with his fingers together, like when he says, "excellent")

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 12:20:02 AM
Steampunk SAKs.... awesome...

Cool work there!  Years ago I worked in the watch & jewelry repair section of a high end department store so I can appreciate first hand that kind of thing.  :D

Def

One thing I've always wanted to do is learn how to work on automatic watches.  Not really sure why, just always been fascinated by the little machines.  I imagine you'd learn quite a bit working jewlery/watch repair.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 12:21:55 AM
That's a cool use of old coins! I can't really comment on how nice it looks from a fashion standpoint, because I have no sense of that at all (being of the male gender). I think this is my favorite.

It is a really interesting yin yang kind of look.

Thanks!  It is my favorite as well.  The loop for the leather cord is the piece I cut from the penny, folded over.

I've got a few more "abstract" ideas like this, I just need to get to it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 12:43:19 AM
That's some very cool stuff. 8)  Oh, and Happy Anniversary BTW. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 12:58:29 AM
That's some very cool stuff. 8)  Oh, and Happy Anniversary BTW. :cheers:

Thanks!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 02:52:30 PM
That's some cool stuff. Nice job. Nothing wrong with a Bro sporting some bling.

sent from Ducttapetech's roaming device

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 12:16:01 AM
That's some cool stuff. Nice job. Nothing wrong with a Bro sporting some bling.

sent from Ducttapetech's roaming device

:rofl:  Not me, I stick to the simple wedding band  ;)

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 03:55:14 PM
Thread necro time  >:D

Just wanted to share my latest little project.  Took about 3 hours start to finish on Friday.  Then I oxidized it for about an hour on Saturday.

I think it is the most professional looking piece I've yet done, though I learned a few things I will tweak next time.

It is about 7.5-8mm wide and about 1.5mm thick (next time, I know how to make it a little thicker).

Hand forged from a 1959 us silver quarter, so its .900 silver.
IMG_0314small.jpg
* IMG_0314small.jpg (Filesize: 189.13 KB)
IMG_0315small.jpg
* IMG_0315small.jpg (Filesize: 153.23 KB)
IMG_0316small.jpg
* IMG_0316small.jpg (Filesize: 129.49 KB)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 03:59:24 PM
That looks awesome.  I've always really liked the look of hammered metal.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 04:05:12 PM
That looks awesome.  I've always really liked the look of hammered metal.

Def

Thanks  :salute:  I dig the old school rustic look that hammered gives.  I don't know why, but hammered jewelry makes me think of the middle ages and blacksmiths  :think:  :D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 04:36:25 PM
I like it. Very nice work.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 05:03:30 PM
That's really well done.   :salute:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #25 on: March 02, 2014, 07:10:35 PM
Thanks, gents  :cheers:

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #26 on: March 02, 2014, 10:36:07 PM
My newest is SAKs.
Only hobby I want to pick up is making babies...Or at least practicing it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%