Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Black Pioneer

Ross · 40 · 4454

gb Offline Ross

Black Pioneer
on: May 29, 2013, 03:36:44 PM
Guys/Gals

just wondered if anyone used one of these as an EDC if yes is the Alox durable?

don't want to start carrying it with other things in my pocket scratching it up.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: Black Pioneer
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 04:09:28 PM
I have a Black Pioneer and it has held up just fine over the 3 months I've owned it.  I've carried it every day since I got it.  However, it's usually not in contact with much else in my pocket, so I can't exactly say how well the finish would hold up if you were to carry it with keys or other items like that.  Alox itself is very durable though.  The Alox models are solid and really feel like they will last a lifetime, if not beyond :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Joe58

Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 04:17:22 PM
The coating on painted Alox will wear quicker that plain Alox. I would say just get the model you want and any wear marks just add character. It will just appear used, not abused.

And as Monrogue posted, Alox just feels bulletproof. You will find yourself needing more. Something in Alox is addicting. :)

Joe

:salute:
🇨🇭

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 04:29:27 PM
I like worn Alox just as much as fresh...if you want to keep it fresh use a pocket slip or belt pouch ;)
My City Pioneer made by harryf3...
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 04:34:46 PM
I think if you keep it with other items, it will wear quickly.  I have carried a black pioneer by itself in the watch pocket of my jeans since around November last year, and it shows little wear.  At the same time I put a black alox classic on my keys and it show significantly more wear.

The photo attached shows some of the wear on the classic, though more is noticeable now (the spot on the Pioneer scales is just leftover drywall dust, not wear).

I, however, think worn alox looks  :drool:, so it doesn't bother me.
EDC.jpg
* EDC.jpg (Filesize: 243.32 KB)
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 05:24:48 PM
I like worn Alox just as much as fresh...if you want to keep it fresh use a pocket slip or belt pouch ;)
My City Pioneer made by harryf3...
(Image removed from quote.)

I'm with you.   :tu:  A nicely worn alox SAK looks darn sexy if you ask me.
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 06:46:23 PM
The coating on painted Alox will wear quicker that plain Alox. I would say just get the model you want and any wear marks just add character. It will just appear used, not abused.

Mate,its a Swiss Army Knife,not Clarise Clift.They need to be used :pok:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Ross

Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 10:14:54 PM
Cheers for the pictures guys,

I am taking the bad boy out with me tomorrow and going to use it - you right

it needs to be used - and if push comes to shove I can always get another one  :facepalm:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 10:24:09 PM

it needs to be used - and if push comes to shove I can always get another one  :facepalm:

Yes,yes you can >:D
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Ross

Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 10:33:19 PM

Yes,yes you can >:D

I have it out of the box and ready for tomorrow - all other knifes have been put away (except my trailmaster)  :tu:

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 01:08:16 AM
I don't know why we don't hear more about the Black Pioneer which has been available quite often for a really good price.  Earlier this year you could pick them up at some on-line retailiers for $23, which was just an incredible deal for a great pocket knife.

I'm more confused that we don't hear more aboput the black Farmer, although these need to be purchased on-line from France or Italy they have been available for a while now on ebay.  I thought the black Farmer would become more popular than the Blue Farmer, but I guess not.  It is a little pricey to buy them from ebay.

The Blue Farmer in the flashlight kit for the insane $15 was one of the key element in the development of Alox mania.  Still seems like an impossible deal.  It's great sometimes when distributors and retailers make big changes.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 01:25:58 AM
I know what you mean about the black pioneers.  They are a nice SAK and very affordable.  Heck I have had quite a few people send me them as parts donors, instead of the regular silver.  Kind of sad as the black gets stripped for one of my hard anodized colors, but as a result Ive looked at them as no more special than regular silver.

Farmers seems harder to get for a good price in the whole color range than pioneers.  I keep trying to figure out what a red farmer would price at new, or even if they are available, or somewhat hard to find now.  I have a couple of them from trades but I dont actually collect farmers, just pioneers, and my own customs. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 01:32:17 AM
You can get a black farmer for under $50 shipped. Haven't found any other colored ones that cheap.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 01:35:01 AM
I figured the farmers probably never were offered in all the colors the pioneers were as well?  I know there was orange, but I dont think Ive ever seen the less common colors like pink or chocolate in a farmer.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 01:41:52 AM
I figured the farmers probably never were offered in all the colors the pioneers were as well?  I know there was orange, but I dont think Ive ever seen the less common colors like pink or chocolate in a farmer.

recent chocolate
http://www.edcsource.com/VICTORINOX-CHOCOLATE-BROWN-FARMER--Numbered-Limited-Run,name,115658,auction_id,auction_details

I don't remember a pink one but there was purple
http://www.edcsource.com/114815,auction_id,item_watch,option,auction_details

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 02:13:05 AM

recent chocolate
http://www.edcsource.com/VICTORINOX-CHOCOLATE-BROWN-FARMER--Numbered-Limited-Run,name,115658,auction_id,auction_details

I don't remember a pink one but there was purple
http://www.edcsource.com/114815,auction_id,item_watch,option,auction_details

Oh right I did see those.  I think I mentally didnt count them as they had no keyring, and to me, a pioneer and farmer should always have them.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 03:23:31 AM
I know what you mean about the black pioneers.  They are a nice SAK and very affordable.  Heck I have had quite a few people send me them as parts donors, instead of the regular silver.  Kind of sad as the black gets stripped for one of my hard anodized colors, but as a result Ive looked at them as no more special than regular silver.

Farmers seems harder to get for a good price in the whole color range than pioneers.  I keep trying to figure out what a red farmer would price at new, or even if they are available, or somewhat hard to find now.  I have a couple of them from trades but I dont actually collect farmers, just pioneers, and my own customs.

Ha, mine certainly isn't a parts donor ;)  I do miss it already though as I had carried it every single day since I got it.  I'm glad I bought mine when I did because I don't think they're available on Amazon anymore, although I did get mine from Swiss Knife Shop so that I could get it engraved.  It looks like they still have them in stock and they are actually $5 cheaper than the silver one.  Excellent SAK indeed :tu:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 03:25:46 AM by Monrogue »
K-Tibbs

gb Offline Ross

Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 10:55:23 AM
I am so glad I started carrying mine around - I love it.

Might invest in a black Farmer next ;)

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 06:55:23 PM
You can pick up the black farmer for 27.50 euros if you ask to do it vat free (if out of Italy). Just picked up 2 for 66 euros shipped express to Asia!  Great deal!

Syph, you should unload the red farmers on ebay. Regularly going for 100 usd plus these days.
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 08:10:45 PM
You can pick up the black farmer for 27.50 euros if you ask to do it vat free (if out of Italy). Just picked up 2 for 66 euros shipped express to Asia!  Great deal!

Syph, you should unload the red farmers on ebay. Regularly going for 100 usd plus these days.

Ya I think that I will. I figured out how to search completed auctions and 100 looks like a typical price.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 04:18:57 AM

I know right?  I honestly didn't think I would end up loving mine as much as I do.  While it's one of the more basic SAKs, it's durable and surprisingly versatile :tu:
K-Tibbs

gb Offline Ross

Reply #21 on: June 02, 2013, 08:43:31 AM

I know right?  I honestly didn't think I would end up loving mine as much as I do.  While it's one of the more basic SAKs, it's durable and surprisingly versatile :tu:
I originally purchased to keep in my collection because it looked too good to use - but now I am of the opinion that its just too damm good not to use.

I have used it every day since Thursday and can't see me changing this any time soon. 

Kirk was so right - THEY have to be used ;)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 08:54:37 AM

I originally purchased to keep in my collection because it looked too good to use - but now I am of the opinion that its just too damm good not to use.

I have used it every day since Thursday and can't see me changing this any time soon. 

Kirk was so right - THEY have to be used ;)

That is right, they must be used.  I love the way it feels, and it's quite different from the standard cellidor SAK feel.  As a testament to how durable they are, I actually used the bottle opener on mine as a prybar to force my back door open when I locked my key inside my home.  Not a scratch on it, and it didn't bend or flex in the least bit :tu:
K-Tibbs

gb Offline Ross

Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 09:24:29 AM
Just as I had fallen in love with my Black Pioneer - it falls out of my pocket at football last night and is now LOST :( :( my heart is broken and am gutted.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 01:18:30 PM
Just as I had fallen in love with my Black Pioneer - it falls out of my pocket at football last night and is now LOST :( :( my heart is broken and am gutted.
If no one has picked it up yet, a good flashlight in the dark might help you spot it.

gb Offline Ross

Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 01:44:43 PM
I have been back to the car park this morning and nothing is there and nothing has been handed in :(

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 02:54:26 PM
I have been back to the car park this morning and nothing is there and nothing has been handed in :(

Oh man, that's a bummer.  I feel for you, I would be awful heartbroken as well, especially after developing an attachment to it :(.  I hope it turns up and you are reunited.
K-Tibbs

gb Offline Ross

Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 02:10:56 PM
Reunited - A guy who played football with us (for the first time) found it next to my car as I drive off - he passed it to one of the regulars and he has only just told me he had it today - just been to pick up the old girl :) Happy Happy Happy. :)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #28 on: June 06, 2013, 02:35:30 PM
Good to hear you got it back! Losing a SAK is sad!!! That is why I lanyard carry though and have my SAKs attached to my belt loop.

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 02:41:24 PM
Reunited - A guy who played football with us (for the first time) found it next to my car as I drive off - he passed it to one of the regulars and he has only just told me he had it today - just been to pick up the old girl :) Happy Happy Happy. :)

Get yourself a TEC P7 Suspension Clip ;) I use one on my 4Sevens MiNi 123 to stop me losing it :tu:

http://www.edcgear.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=P7

I forgot I had sold you the Pioneer...I recognize my lanyard :D
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%