Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiss Bianco Yeoman

Kid33 · 76 · 12342

us Offline Kid33

Swiss Bianco Yeoman
on: May 31, 2013, 05:36:02 AM
Hello gang,
                 I stumbled across this video of the Swiss Bianco Sapphire Blue Yeoman.  It looks like they made a run of 100.  This version has the plastic magnifier and also a file on the hook.  I went to the Website and the knife is 65.00 plus 10.80 shipping!  Do you think 75.80 is a fair price to get a Yeoman?   Do you think this version will retain the value compare to the original?      Is the Yeoman really much better than the Explorer Plus which has a beefier Flat Head Screwdriver and Pry bar.   Cheers

Here is the You TUbe link

A wise man speaks few words

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: Swiss Bianco Yeoman
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 05:43:14 AM
Ive never been a fan of the combo tool, so for me I'd just stick with the explorer.  I know alot of people loved the yeoman configuration though.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 05:45:05 AM
I dont like that combo tool either so I would stick with the Explorer.  It's better and it is much cheaper, about $30 :D

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 06:46:58 AM
Explorer.

I prefer the opening layer to the combo tool
Defend the Hive!!!

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 06:59:53 AM
An original Yeoman would have the collector value.
The +B ones may be "limited edition", but in my mind are no different to a mod and I don't think his stuff is worth as much as it goes for.

I built myself a Yeoman and while it's cool, the difference in thickness to an explorer isn't worth the compromise of trading the openers layer and small blade for the combo tool. (IMO)

I picked up a beater Mechanic (broken blade but as new pliers) and made mine into a Yeoman-Mechanic.
Now, THAT is a step up from an Explorer and almost the same size and weight.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 11:25:44 AM
Save your pennies for the alox version- which he discusses but doesn't go into too much detail on.  Will it be checkered alox, or some kinda glued on scales?

Could be cool, or rather lame.
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 11:37:01 AM
The +B ones may be "limited edition", but in my mind are no different to a mod and I don't think his stuff is worth as much as it goes for.

Thought so too, but when you think about that he is a seller/manufacturer and likes to life from what he does, the prices are reasonable. High, but reasonable.

Example:
Modding an 58mm alox with a minichamp force me to ask for about 50-55€ (depending on the color etc). And with that prices, I don't even make money. about 90% of that price just cover Vic parts and shipment. It's just for fun for me, but earning money with it.... wow.
Looking at +B prices for an alox minichamp and alox vagabond you'll see, that he is not that far away. But he still offers Victorinox warranty for you and may earn some money. (I expect his prices for the knifes produced in ibach or prices for the tools are much cheaper)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 01:06:45 PM

Thought so too, but when you think about that he is a seller/manufacturer and likes to life from what he does, the prices are reasonable. High, but reasonable.

Example:
Modding an 58mm alox with a minichamp force me to ask for about 50-55€ (depending on the color etc). And with that prices, I don't even make money. about 90% of that price just cover Vic parts and shipment. It's just for fun for me, but earning money with it.... wow.
Looking at +B prices for an alox minichamp and alox vagabond you'll see, that he is not that far away. But he still offers Victorinox warranty for you and may earn some money. (I expect his prices for the knifes produced in ibach or prices for the tools are much cheaper)

Yes, if you mod it yourself it. But he doesn't make them. He's just a seller who gets them made by Victorinox. That's why they have Victorinox warranty.

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 01:24:38 PM
He's just a seller who gets them made by Victorinox.

That's not correct. Yes, he sells some limited runs, yes. But he also does limited runs on his own with victorinox replacement parts you normally cannot buy.

look here he even gets original brass pins...

not jealous enough? look here

de Offline crackout

Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 01:32:00 PM
Wow, I didn't know that.
That hammer doesn't look too special to me. ::)

You can't get the same homogenity by hammer peening instead of using these spinning devices.
Say my name.

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 01:42:41 PM
Then don't cry reading this one....  ;)

Btw. I don't really like Rogers attitude against (yes you really have to say against) modders. Some time ago I asked him for some Vic parts, but it started a short flame war between Roger and me.

He is somewhat divorced from reality.... thinking that people should absolutely respect Victorinox' work and shouldn't start to mod it. Or when they still want to make something for their own, remove any Victorinox signs from the result or even start to make their own tools instead of using Victory ones.

From a professional point of (edit)view (/edit) I could follow some thoughts of him (but not more than half of them).
Most of us do it like a hobby and don't try to live from their modding activities. We fill gaps, Victorinox doesn't like to fill itself.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 02:52:54 PM by HankSolon »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 01:44:06 PM
Don't trust everything he says. ;)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 01:46:30 PM
Is it just me,or is the whole SwissBianco thing just a bit overhyped?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 01:51:33 PM
Don't trust everything he says. ;)

I won't. But I don't think black/white. The truth you'll allways find in some gray scale.  :D

Is it just me,or is the whole SwissBianco thing just a bit overhyped?

Speaking of prices... in most cases no. As I mentioned above.
(Edit: If I would have to make a Yeoman as above using factory parts, I would have to buy new knifes, disassemble them and reassemble a Yeoman. The price I would have to tell wouldn't be that far away from what Swissbianco asks for. However. As a modder we mostly have our own sources and ways to handle such a request.)

Speaking of uniqueness of his work? Absolutely yes! He just has the luck, to get factory parts you normally don't get. I'm convinced, most of us could do the same he does.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 02:01:36 PM by HankSolon »

de Offline crackout

Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 02:03:53 PM
But he doesn't assemble his Alox models by himself, does he?

I'd love to see how exactly this is done (by Victorinox).
Say my name.

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 02:07:11 PM
I don't think he does them on his own... but I don't know it. But every alox pin I saw (especially the 58mm ones) look like machine pressed.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 02:45:02 PM
I don't think he does them on his own... but I don't know it. But every alox pin I saw (especially the 58mm ones) look like machine pressed.

He has one of those machines that Vic uses in the display shops to assemble cellidor.  He doesnt have one to assemble alox.  He was trying to make one, but hasnt.

His connection to Vic to buy parts is his edge for sure.  If I could buy parts I could make much lower cost mods.  Having to factor in brand new knives for donors to get scissors etc really drives the cost up.

Regarding Roger hating modders, it made me automatically dislike him. After reading more, I concluded he doenst know anythign about running a business, and thats about all I cared to learn.  I'll ironically point out that Im currently re-building that lockback mod (im doing hard anodized alox scales on it with brass liners) at the request of Victorinox USA.  They offered to compensate me for my time and materials.... so... us dirty modders have our uses.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 03:07:39 PM
I'll ironically point out that Im currently re-building that lockback mod (im doing hard anodized alox scales on it with brass liners) at the request of Victorinox USA.

Now you mentioned it, you'll have to keep us informed.  :D

Edit: Apart from that, I wish I could take some hand on factory parts too. I often have request of people who like to have an individual knife. When I count the costs for them, they often refuse. And I understand it. Buying one knife you really love or (for the same money) 3 knifes you (just) like makes a difference.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 03:10:46 PM by HankSolon »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 03:09:14 PM
I'll ironically point out that Im currently re-building that lockback mod (im doing hard anodized alox scales on it with brass liners) at the request of Victorinox USA.

Now you mentioned it, you'll have to keep us informed.  :D

Of course. :D  Im working on making a nice texture on the Al, then it will go to hard anodize.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 03:37:28 PM
Originally I would have said it's worth it, but now I don't think so.  I love the Explorer, but I was hung up on wanting it to be 3 layers instead of 4.  As others have said, going with the Yeoman, you lose the small blade, and both individual openers, which is quite a bit to lose really.  Oh, and you do gain the nailfile on the hook with the Yeoman, which many probably don't care about, but I do prefer to have at least that as sometimes it comes in handy.  Considering you can get the Explorer for around half the price or less, it's not worth it though (unless money is not a factor and you really prefer 3 layers over 4). 

Another factor for me was that I decided I wanted more than a Yeoman for my ideal cellidor SAK, and since I can pay a reasonable price to have it modded for me, I am doing just that :D
K-Tibbs

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 04:00:13 PM
Is the Yeoman too expensive?  Objectively, the answer is probably yes.  But the combo of tools is my favorite among all SAKs.  I love the Explorer Plus (my favorite production model), and the Yeoman is essentially a 3-layered Explorer Plus.  Losing the small blade is fine with me, as (again, for me) its just redundant.  Condensing the bottle and can opener into a combo tool?  I'm good with that too.  The Yeoman gives me what I want most, and in the smallest package possible:  blade, scissor, in-line phillips, flat driver and magnifier.

I only wish that this was a $US35 production model.  I get grumpy thinking about why Victorinox doesn't produce it.  But even at its inflated price, I love it and carry it often.  A 3-layer Explorer Plus is sweet.

Swissbiano Yeoman Plus.

ch Offline victor7000

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 04:37:37 PM

I picked up a beater Mechanic (broken blade but as new pliers) and made mine into a Yeoman-Mechanic.
Now, THAT is a step up from an Explorer and almost the same size and weight.

You could buy such a Yeoman-Mechanic from +B too  :pok:  :D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 04:43:25 PM
Putting aside +B the Yeoman beats the Explorer for me.

All the same functions in three layers rather than four, plus the combo tool is a better bottle opener than the standard one, and that tool gets WAY more use as a bottle opener than a screwdriver  :P plus I hardly ever use the second blade or can opener AND the Yeoman has the extra scale tools  :D

As to the question of value, it's the same as everything else. It's worth what YOU are prepared to pay for it, and not a penny more  8)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #23 on: May 31, 2013, 04:54:28 PM
Well right now to make a yeoman you need an explorer and compact.  That will give you the plus scales and the nail file hook, so you have the best of it all.

Cost wise ... approx..

Explorer  $35
Compact $32

Total of around $67 plus your time.  But then you get a second SAK as well with the leftover bits.. which would be a climber.

Offline marduk

Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 05:09:01 PM
In defense of +B most of the Vic's he sells are produced for him by Vic at Ibach, and he notes that in his ads and on his web site and in Utube and Facebook. He does mod a few, like the original Yeoman Mechanic several years ago. But the new ones he sells are Victorinox products w/the Vic warranty.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: May 31, 2013, 05:58:28 PM

He has one of those machines that Vic uses in the display shops to assemble cellidor.  He doesnt have one to assemble alox.  He was trying to make one, but hasnt.

His connection to Vic to buy parts is his edge for sure.  If I could buy parts I could make much lower cost mods.  Having to factor in brand new knives for donors to get scissors etc really drives the cost up.

Regarding Roger hating modders, it made me automatically dislike him. After reading more, I concluded he doenst know anythign about running a business, and thats about all I cared to learn.  I'll ironically point out that Im currently re-building that lockback mod (im doing hard anodized alox scales on it with brass liners) at the request of Victorinox USA.  They offered to compensate me for my time and materials.... so... us dirty modders have our uses.

Seems like you are in the door Syph, +B got the shine when he did the original Damascus soldiers, you might be leveling up too!

As Vic is getting more and more into high end boutique items overall, I bet they are looking at the $1000 Sak and your $300ish titanium models very carefully.
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

us Offline Kid33

Reply #26 on: May 31, 2013, 10:12:50 PM
Thanks for all the great replies.  I see there are some mixed opinions which is good also. 

I have found the Explorer plus meets just about every need I have in my Urban Environment and I use my knife every day multiple times.  I love it.  However, the collector and OCD side of me, like to have some of my other favorite styles just to look at from time to time. 

I have an Original Yeoman in good shape and have only carried it only a few times. To me it is more of a collectors piece I suppose.  I really do like the Yeoman design, but the Explorer Plus ideally has more to offer aside from a slightly smaller size.  Nevertheless, I love taking the Yeoman out and looking at it and admiring it alongside some of my other SAKs.  I guess it is strange to purchase SAKs with no real intent to carry, but some of the models are just too cool to not own. 

With all that being said,  I think Swiss B's Yeoman and the Yeoman Mechanic do offer some Uniqueness in design.  I personally like the Glass magnifier for everyday use as it is easier to read small fine print than the Gray magnifier which is a higher zoom.   Secondly, the file on the Parcel Hook really is fantastic.   I really wish the Explorer had this file.  Thirdly, I do like the fact that they are Warranted and built by Victorinox  (no offense to modders) :)     I just think that maybe  in Twenty years having the Origianl Box and Warranty papers for a SAK may be more beneficial in a resale or trade situation. 

It does appear Swiss B is passionate about the Knives and I guess you have to give the guy some credit for doing what he loves.    I am actually thinking of buying the Yeoman and the Yeoman Mechanic from Swiss B.   Key word here is "thinking of buying"  lol     

I think buying the Yeoman would just be to maybe re sell later and  getting the Yeoman Mechanic to actually give the Explorer Plus a challenge. Those pliers could come in handy.. 

I guess the only thing that is stopping me is trying to justify spending the money on something that is not going to be used.  I probably should change my oil and give my car a tune up or SAVE the MONEY!!  lol

A wise man speaks few words

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 12:20:50 AM
I think each person has to decide if the cost of the +B Yeoman is acceptable for them.  Likely if they are just looking at materials and comparing it to other SAKs they might have a hard time justifying the cost.  If someone only wanted the best SAK for them, and the Yeoman model is what they really wanted as their EDC, I would think it would be easy to justify the cost.

I really like the Yeoman configuration as a urban EDC. 

I think we are are a bit spoiled with the availability of some many special models, great mods, and the internet to buy from a worldwide selection. It was not always like this, not that long a go people would have been carzy happy to get some new factory assembled Yeomans.

il Offline Shalom

Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 11:02:35 AM
If a three layer SAK with Explorer features is desired I'd consider getting a Passenger.
It just leaves out the scissors which are found on most 58mm models carried anyway.
Waddya think of that idea ?

Offline Maccabeus

Reply #29 on: June 09, 2013, 06:13:36 AM
Hi all-

New poster who signed up just to weigh in on the Yeoman.  I'm hoping I'll be happy with the Sapphire +B I have on the way from SwissBianco.  If it carries comfortably and I don't miss the awl, I expect any price under $100 will be worth it for a good edc for years to come.  (I found the +Bs on ebay but thankfully checked their actual website where the model is a few dollars cheaper than the ebay price).

I've carried a Spartan daily for 30 years and absolutely love it.  Because it has served me so well, I've never paid attention to all the other models over those years and hadn't even thought about modding.  I also don't have much time at this point in my life to tinker with vics (pun intended). Having read up on some other models over the past month and with my Spartan showing some wear, I'm now interested in a different tool set and settled on the Yeoman.

Giving up the small blade is tolerable in the trade off.  My openers don't get used too often except as screwdrivers, so combining them and gaining a true phillips is a gain.  The only tool I've missed not having over these decades of carrying the Spartan is a pair of scissors.  And for some strange reason, everyone who puts anything in print these days seems to be using smaller and blurrier fonts than they did 30 years ago, so having the magnifying glass seems like a helpful tool I never needed in the past.

Also, my Spartan was an early model and is truly spartan: no toothpick or tweezers, so I gain those and more with the plus scales. 

My only concerns are 1) why no awl? -- there's room on the back side, and 2) will the third layer be noticeably uncomfortable in my back pocket where the trim Spartan has nicely fit alongside an equally thin wallet?

If it rides well and I don't miss my awl too much, I'll happily carry the Yeoman for the next 30 years and consider the cost well worth it.  (And if I hate it, I also bought some plus scales to spruce up the old Spartan and the new SAK can live in the glovebox).  Either way it's a win!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%