Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sheffield Collectors Set.

Chako · 14 · 3564

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Sheffield Collectors Set.
on: June 28, 2013, 05:30:23 AM
2 weeks ago, I noticed this interesting multi-tool kit advertised in a Wall-Mart flyer. When I went for a visit, they hadn't received them yet. Bummed out, I went back home. I saw myself back at Wall-Mart to buy some cat food and decided to look for it again. I did find it after some digging.

The set comes in a very attractive if very thin wooden display case.

Opening the box, The contents do look rather appealing on a purely visual sense.

Of course, this is more of Sheffield's very cheap stuff. On a positive side, at least the glue on decals are centered and straight.

Looking at the first item, it is the standard of this type seen from many other manufacturers...these differ with the decals. Tool do not lock. Quality is not all that up there, but it is serviceable. Just don't expect much from this tool.

Included is this cute little keychain multi-tool. The nice thing about this is the metal lathe decorations. Interestingly enough, I have another of these with the Sheffield name stamped into the handle. This one does not have it though...bonus. At least it is somewhat different to the other one.

Included in the kit is a very solid flashlight. This one operates on 2 AA batteries. The end cap has a very good quality feel when it is screwed in or out. I was a bit surprised that this is not an LED, but a traditional bulb. Therefore, the light is not all that even, and it is yellow in caste. Like a lot of flashlights out there, you can screw in or out the lamp housing to focus or defocus the beam of light.

A Vic Classic knock off. Quality is about what you would expect it to be.

Another Swiss Knife knock off. This one is the standard Chinese made version that is ubiquitous the world over. Not very high in quality either.

Included in this set is a knife. There is no belt clip. The frame is made of very lightweight aluminum. The lock is solid, and there is no play in the locking mechanism.

And here is a size comparison of all the bits in this set.

Now, the price was 20 buck Canadian. Not bad overall. Nothing to write home to mother about either. Very cheap gear in a nice cheap wooden box. What more is there to love about this set. :)
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline 3rdpig

Re: Sheffield Collectors Set.
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:24:22 AM
I've been unfortunate enough to have gotten some Sheffield tools as gifts. My first thought was to use them as fodder in the next white elephant gift exchange I got drug to, but I couldn't force myself to do it. God knows how bad I'd feel if the "winner" injured himself in a foolish attempt to actually use it as if it were a real tool.

So now they reside in the big freezer bag with the rest of the junk Chinese tools I've acquired.

Please tell me you didn't actually buy this. Or that you did but are returning it in the morning? 

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 01:03:38 PM
I did indeed buy this. However, I would never dream of using it. Just as a collectible.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 01:25:13 PM
This will look good in your collection chako  :tu: Is the keychain mt very usable as thinking about trying something similar  :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 01:27:27 PM
It is actually the best item in the kit. I would compare it favourably to a Swiss+Tech of similar solid steel build in quality and execution.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 01:29:48 PM
It is actually the best item in the kit. I would compare it favourably to a Swiss+Tech of similar solid steel build in quality and execution.

:salute: it was the swiss+Tech one I was looking at  :tu:

Offline Rotten

Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 04:59:52 PM
I don't get the hate for Sheffield, other than it's cheap and Made in China. I did indeed get some from my wife for my birthday, I find the keychain tool is very useful and not at all poorly made.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 05:13:24 PM
I have a MT the same looking as the large one in this set plus a smaller version, does this one have the cutouts on the opposite handle?   :tu:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 05:28:08 PM by Zed »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 12:26:19 AM
Not this one...but that doesn't mean anything. They are all made the same with minor cosmetics.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 08:07:32 AM
Do they have Sheffield in China?
I have the pocketgrip style knife for about a decade, with black plastic scales.

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 09:23:47 AM
I don't get the hate for Sheffield, other than it's cheap and Made in China. I did indeed get some from my wife for my birthday, I find the keychain tool is very useful and not at all poorly made.

I don't hate the Sheffield tools I have, but I dislike cheaply made tools in general because they're often dangerous to use and will most often fail when you need them most. Plus it's often impossible to get a refund, so the good tool ends up costing that much more.

A used PST or Gerber 400 can be found for 20 dollars in good condition, so why buy a poor quality tool?

In Chako's case he's buying it to add to his collection, not to be used.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 06:46:37 PM
I think these aren't tools I would want, but I must say this set looks nice

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 09:21:58 PM
If you didn't know anything about multi-tools, and you got this under the ol'Christmas tree. I would imagine it would make one happy. We know better on this site however. Still a very nice and cheap set.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 12:38:14 AM
It's funny these cheap/fake tools comes better packaged than any of the name brand ones, I have/had a few and the wooden box is actually quite well made.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%