Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Weird survival kit.

Chako · 13 · 3630

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Weird survival kit.
on: July 16, 2013, 12:02:51 AM
Here is something I haven't seen before. I have this thing for survival kits. I view them as part and parcel with multi-tools...both being multifunctional.

This kit I found on eBay, and I was the only one to bid on it, so I got it for less than 20 US dollars. What caught my eye about this set up was its unusualness in having exchangeable blades, much like those old Soligen Germany kits from the 40s and 50s. The second thing that caught my eye was the total package. It comes in an unusual hard case that can be attached to a belt. The lid has a proper pin hinge which gives the outer box a nice quality feel. It is a big step up from those one piece plastic hinge that reek poor quality.

All in all, a very interesting little survival kit. Now enough of that, and on with the photographs.

The outer case is a beautiful bright orange that matches the included knife. The opening mechanism is a simple press the black button to push away an internal ledge that allows you to open the box up. The locking mechanism is solid, and the lid closes tight. One thing I did find interesting, there is no weatherproofing seals around the lid.

The back of the hard plastic case features a hard plastic loop to allow either a belt, or string to either carry it around your neck, on a belt, etc.

When you open the case up, you are greeted with plenty of items. Here is a close up of the locking mechanism.

Everything is secured by a hard black plastic retainer. Everything slots right into place. Going from left to right, we have the knife, utility knife , nesting spoon and fork, nut/hex bolt driver, fish scaler, saw, bottle/can opener, and a black two sided box that contains various survival items.

The knife, if you haven't already noticed in the above photos, has a glass breaker on the pommel. There are also two sliding tools found here, a nice diamond nail file, and a not that bad pair of scissors. The knife is of a good size, and the grip is excellent, coated in soft black textured rubber along a bright orange hard plastic frame. I would also like to add that there is a lanyard hold which is perfect to tie your fishing line if needed.

Here is a close-up of the pommel end of the knife featuring a glass breaker, and two slide out tools. The bottom tool is slid out a little to give you a better idea. On the plus side, these sliding tools in the handle have a good positive lock. They shouldn't slid out on their own.

The knife is a lock back design. To install or remove a blade requires the user to open the blade at a 90 degree angle. Press the lock back stud open. Slide out the tool for removal and slid in anew one whilst still pressing down on the back stud. Release the stud to lock in the current tool. Once locked, you can fold the tool or open it like any regular knife.

Here, you see the main blade removed and the  utility knife attached. I also collect utility knives...so this feature was a big surprise to me.

I must say, I wasn't expecting much in terms of quality, but little details tell me that the quality is rather good for what you get. Here is an example. Here is a close-up of the ruler markings on the fish scaler. Nice and neat.

Here is an overview look at all the pieces that are part of the kit.

Next shot shows you what is hiding inside that lanky long black box. both ends pull of revealing two compartments of equal size. One end contains a small fishing kit, the other, first aid and fire starting materials. You also get a small metal tweezer, some string wrapped around a cardboard keeper, and weirdest of all, a small pencil and two small pieces of paper. Included are a few bandages, and a small mirror like plastic sheet for signaling. All of these items fit nicely in the included carrying case. Thee is a little more room in one of the compartments to add a few other equally small items, like some cotton batting, etc. You also a Philips and a flat driver bit. These have a flattened end that fits into a hole found on the nut driver attachment.

So there you have it. This is an interesting survival kit in that I haven't seen anything of its like before. Definitely an interesting take on a small portable survival kit. I was expecting something cheap, but was pleasantly surprised at the overall quality of the item. No instructions came with the kit, nor are there any manufactures marking other than the made in China etched on the steel tangs. This came in a plain white box. I like this kit, much like the Sol Survive Outdoor Longer kit. Both are quirky.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Re: Weird survival kit.
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 12:13:36 AM
Like!

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 12:37:38 AM
That is a pretty neat kit :tu:

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 12:51:16 AM
nice score Dan... would you happen to still have the link for this? or was this the last one?
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 01:00:49 AM
Kinda strange, but I really like it.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 01:11:06 AM
That is really cool.
Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 01:23:21 AM
Ha...I paid a little over 20 for it. Only noticed when I re-checked.

Here is the link. The Seller is called Tiger-Merchant.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/130939429037?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 03:39:01 AM
Ha...I paid a little over 20 for it. Only noticed when I re-checked.

Here is the link. The Seller is called Tiger-Merchant.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/130939429037?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

a big thanks Dan!!!! heading to eBay right now hehehe
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 03:48:40 AM
That's a neat looking piece of kit, Dan. :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 09:23:47 AM
Very nifty. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 07:15:44 PM
Pretty cool!
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

no Offline Grathr

Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 09:24:02 PM
Nice kit. I want one  :D
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 09:33:59 PM
It would make a nice glovebox kit, I may have to get one myself.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%