Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LM ST300 Camping/Survival tool?

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
LM ST300 Camping/Survival tool?
on: June 14, 2013, 03:51:02 PM
Do you think this is a practical idea? Obviously heavier than the  :sak: but it is more durable.
Weight is not an issue for me as much as it used to be as I am not doing any light weight hiking these days.
I have started carrying an early design Ontario US aircrew ASEK knife in my survival kit for cross country paragliding, along with a bunch of other stuff that I will get your opinions on some other time.
A big part of why I included it was because you can use the base as a hammer, and the blade can be used as a makeshift spear tip. Sadly it did not perform as well as I thought it would when it comes to cutting branches. This occurred to me when I attempted to use it to free my paraglider from a tree! I have sinced learned that perhapse its strength lies when battoning as opposed to cleaving. Anyone used one of these for survival training? I have also invested in a better sharpener.
I nearly bought a LM Mut as it has an integral hammer, but clearly for a different reason. I decided on a ST300 as it has more tools that are not firearm specific. I figure the pliers could be handy for removing tent pegs and for tending to cooking cups/pots on the fire etc. The LM saw blade works at least as well as the ones on the SAK. At the moment I am thinking about carrying both while flying.
Thoughts, feelings or opinions?

P.S. Anybody got any tips on how to sharpen the older type saw on the back of a thick fixed blade such as the Ontario?
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Re: LM ST300 Camping/Survival tool?
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 04:18:13 PM
If I was going for a supertool sized option I would probably choose the surge. That way the saw in your case you be accessed quickly. I also love the wave and a surge is basically a big wave. And the new surge with the supertool head is coming out.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 04:35:55 PM
Yeah I vote surge as well, mainly because of the oho blade and blade exchanger, the st300 though is a great mt  :tu:

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 05:01:15 PM
I think you should use what you're most comfortable with.  The ST300 is a great larger size MT whereas the REBAR offers the same tools in a smaller lighter package.  I have a REBAR and I'd recommend it to anyone  :D
SAW

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 05:37:53 PM
Wow I didn't know they were coming out with a new surge. I would have waited. I have a Wave also which I keep for work. Kind of thought the ST300 would be easier to clean after the big jobs. Unfortunately its not as comfortable in the hand as the Wave. But has the slightly longer saw.
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 06:16:29 PM
My only issue with (and the reason I don't own) the ST300 is that I find it much too thick and bulky to be used as a pair of pliers comfortably.  However if that's not an issue for you, and weight isn't a consideration, then I think the ST300 would make an excellent, robust, no bits to lose, outdoor MT. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 08:34:41 PM
as Gareth said, st300 is great for outdoor and for me (st200 i have) rescue missions.A piece of heavy metal with nothing to loose, mighty, sturdy and invincible.you can use it as a hammer and dig your way out of a concrete wall or you can cut the hood of a car.

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 02:46:15 AM
If you're just carrying one mt. i guess the supertool300 will pretty much take care of the job. good point in ease of cleaning. but i'm yet to own the almighty lm surge, i guess best bet will be to see how the new one fares when it comes out

Sent from my Cruize W280 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 08:46:16 AM
If you can go around the weight and bulk then why not? It's a capable tool but again don't forget to practice with it to see if it has any downfalls for you personally
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ph Offline Goatlord666

Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 12:43:33 AM
as Gareth said, st300 is great for outdoor and for me (st200 i have) rescue missions.A piece of heavy metal with nothing to loose, mighty, sturdy and invincible.you can use it as a hammer and dig your way out of a concrete wall or you can cut the hood of a car.

that's a very good description nervium!  :cheers:
Cheers,
Gabriel

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 05:06:31 AM
I always have a tool (actually, usually a belt knife, a Swiss Army Knife, and a Leatherman) with at least a knife, awl, saw, scissors, and pliers between them. The Supertool 300 has most of those in one package, which is kind of cool.

ph Offline Goatlord666

Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 10:26:09 PM
I always have a tool (actually, usually a belt knife, a Swiss Army Knife, and a Leatherman) with at least a knife, awl, saw, scissors, and pliers between them. The Supertool 300 has most of those in one package, which is kind of cool.

would that be a grohmann canadian belt knife on you?

Cheers,
Gabriel

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD