Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Black Oxide Question?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Black Oxide Question?
Reply #30 on: December 18, 2006, 01:56:20 AM
I betcha you could really beat up a ninja with a weapon like that!  >:D

Sorry, seeing that pic really conjured up images of those guys that always take your SAK, fold out the large and small blades and sometimes the awl, "load" thier fist with it and tell you what a handy weapon it would make!

Def

"Those guys"...............are their nicknames Stubby and Lefty? I think I know them..... :laugh:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #31 on: December 18, 2006, 02:43:22 AM
I was playing with my new BO PowerLock and I found it interesting that the phillips driver can lock at 90' which is different from my regular PowerLock...

The Phillips driver on my regular PowerLock S60 includes an extra notch so it can lock at both 90 and 180 degrees.  Perhaps SOG changed this blade on newer PowerLocks.
powerlock-phillips.jpg
* powerlock-phillips.jpg (Filesize: 22.54 KB)
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: December 19, 2006, 02:55:56 AM
Well I'll be danged.......when did they add that notch? I looked through a few older SOG's; some have a 90 degree notch on the Phillips, and some don't. Even a black ParaTool that I've had for about five years is double notched.

I never noticed before.  :-[
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: December 19, 2006, 03:01:41 AM
Okay, here's another question: WHY did they add that notch?

I've been testing it on a few different SOG's, and at 90 degrees, the Phillips screwdriver becomes pretty clumsy to use. I thought maybe the idea was to improve torque, but there is no good way to push down hard enough on the screwdriver to make use of that torque. The tip simply pops up out of the screw long before you can take advantage of the extra leverage.

So WTF?  ???

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: December 19, 2006, 08:59:01 AM
I got a black pocket clip for the BO Wave today. I have to day that I'm digging the BO finish on both the Wave and the PowerLock I got. I see more BO tools in the future for me.
new.jpg
* new.jpg (Filesize: 33.39 KB)
"

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #35 on: December 19, 2006, 02:25:53 PM

I've been testing it on a few different SOG's, and at 90 degrees, the Phillips screwdriver becomes pretty clumsy to use. I thought maybe the idea was to improve torque, but there is no good way to push down hard enough on the screwdriver to make use of that torque. The tip simply pops up out of the screw long before you can take advantage of the extra leverage.

I suspect the right angle position on the Phillips bit is to permit use in tight clearance situations.   Phillips fasteners are designed to be "torque limiting" so that the driver cannot overtighten the fastener. 

The next logical question is, Why didn't SOG add a second notch on the flat screwdrivers?  Perhaps to prevent people from applying enough torque to bend the flat blades.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 02:29:10 PM by parnass »
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: December 20, 2006, 02:45:59 AM
I just realized:
The Paladin PT-525 has a 90 degree notch on its Phillips screwdriver. It also has a 90 degree notch on its socket driver. (My regular SOG PowerLock does not have this second notch.)

Unlike the Phillips, I can imagine situations where extra torque could be useful with the socket driver. Unfortunately, as Def pointed out, the handle cover needs to be removed in order to use this feature.

~Bob

* 90 driver.jpg (Filesize: 51.85 KB)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #37 on: December 20, 2006, 02:52:07 AM
Unfortunately, as Def pointed out, the handle cover needs to be removed in order to use this feature.

I'm not just another pretty face you know!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline damota

Reply #38 on: December 20, 2006, 10:21:57 PM

So WTF?  ???
Did you try to push it down with the thumb of your other hand?

Dave

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: December 21, 2006, 02:28:46 AM
Yes...but...let me elaborate;

With the Phillips screwdriver bit at 180 degrees, I can push down pretty hard on the whole tool, and remove any screws of reasonable tightness.

With the Phillips screwdriver bit at 90 degrees, I can theoretically apply a LOT more twisting torque, but I can't really push down much harder. Well, sort of maybe, but the whole rest of the tool kind of gets in the way.

Anyhow, it leads me to believe that this 90 degree feature is more for low-clearance situations, where you can't stand the whole tool on end to access a screw.

Offline Ging

• Skint Brit!!
Reply #40 on: December 23, 2006, 09:10:21 PM
This question is completely opposite to this thread but.....How easily is it to remove this Black Oxide stuff??

The reason is I was looking at the new Byrd Starling (sorry its not a multi..) and I don't like the black coating it has.
E

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: December 23, 2006, 09:18:01 PM
I would imagine that a wire brush would make short work of the black oxide, but since it's basically a controlled rust coating I'd be concerned about corrosion afterwards.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Ging

• Skint Brit!!
Reply #42 on: December 23, 2006, 11:53:04 PM
I would imagine that a wire brush would make short work of the black oxide, but since it's basically a controlled rust coating I'd be concerned about corrosion afterwards.

Def

Thanks Def, for £12 I dont think I am going to be bothered must by corrosion.
E

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: December 24, 2006, 01:06:36 AM
Good point...

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%