Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Odd little key chain tool from Germany

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Odd little key chain tool from Germany
on: July 18, 2013, 10:49:07 PM
This little pocket tool is made for the ladies I think as it has a leather slip type case that is non-removable. The one piece tool has a flat screwdriver tip, a can opener or can punch(?) and a bottle opener. The tool measure out at 85mm's long and about 20mm's wide at its widest point. The little leather slip case acts as a handle to hold it while using the tool. It has the Zwillingswerk stamp with the 2 men logo and Solingen-Germany with 18/8 . Any ideas what those last numbers mean?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Odd little key chain tool from Germany
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 11:20:52 PM
Very interesting tool you found there. :tu:

As for the numbers. :shrug: Maybe it's the address where you can ship it to for repairs. :think:

I seem to remember reading on a Wenger booklet that they stamped Wenger/Delemont/Switzerland so you'd always know where to send your knife for repair if needed.  And the Zwilling factory is located between the numbers 14 and 22. So that would make it street number 18/room number 8?  (German/Austrian addresses sometime come in this format, 21/2/8 - I'm guessing street number / floor / apartment ? )

http://www.zwilling.com/de/impressum.html

I'm totally guesstimating here and all I said could be complete nonsense. :angel:

It seems though it was made post 1969 going by the logo.

zwillingswerk marks.JPG
* zwillingswerk marks.JPG (Filesize: 45.45 KB)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:23:25 PM by enki_ck »

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 12:03:11 AM
Great find!!!

Sent from my Cruize W280 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 11:56:50 AM
I would expect 18/8 to be the steel. 18%  chromium, 8% nickel. Common type of stainless steel in pots and pans.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 12:04:48 PM
I would expect 18/8 to be the steel. 18%  chromium, 8% nickel. Common type of stainless steel in pots and pans.

Makes much more sense than my babblings  :D and is in fact correct. :tu:  Thanks for this info. :salute:

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/StainlessInfo2/

18-8: 300 series stainless steel having approximately (not exactly) 18% chromium and 8% nickel. The term "18-8" is used interchangeably to characterize fittings made of 302, 302HQ, 303, 304, 305, 384, XM7, and other variables of these grades with close chemical compositions. There is little overall difference in corrosion resistance among the "18-8" types, but slight differences in chemical composition do make certain grades more resistant than others do against particular chemicals or atmospheres. "18-8" has superior corrosion resistance to 400 series stainless, is generally nonmagnetic, and is hardenable only by cold working.

Offline Svadilfari

Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 11:55:31 PM
Looks cool :) If it *is* some sort of multi-tool for the ladies, any idea as to the function of the cut-out opposite the bottle opener ? I'm nut sure it'd be an efficient can opener as previously suggested ?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%