Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Les Stroud Multitool

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Les Stroud Multitool
Reply #150 on: March 29, 2014, 04:21:10 PM
While I appreciate the potential for gimmicky-ness, Titanium, bonded to steel is actually a known process in manufacturing, and can strongly inhibit rust. If these tools are meant for 'real world survival', then great rust resistance might be a good idea.

Now... I'm not saying what Camillus is doing actually yields great results, but I also won't write the titanium bonding as only a marketing tool until I have a chance to try these things out.

So, I guess I need to add 'rust test' to my battery of tests for the tool when I get it. I'll test it against the Bear Grylls Survival Tool Pack (BG 'Strata'), and a Leatherman (probably my Wingman) for comparison, I think.

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #151 on: March 29, 2014, 04:23:48 PM
I look forward to it- the Wingman at least shouldn't be hard to beat in the rust test.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #152 on: March 29, 2014, 04:27:27 PM
I look forward to it- the Wingman at least shouldn't be hard to beat in the rust test.

:rofl:

Yeah, that's part of why I thought I'd use it. I might even suck it up and subject a VIC 91mm to the test alongside. That'd be sort of the top end standard, IMO.

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #153 on: March 29, 2014, 04:49:18 PM

And oh, look... a fish scaler. Yay. :poh:
Actually, on a outdoor/wilderness/survival MT that makes more sense than a screwdriver (and a can-opener) if you ask me.
I've never understood the whole fish scaler thing. Never had scaled fish I guess...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #154 on: March 29, 2014, 05:39:50 PM
Fish scaler.. as a below average fisherman when  I accidentally catch a fish given the choice between cleaning the fish at the sea (no mess) or at home (smelly sink/yard etc.) I would rather do it at the sea.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #155 on: March 29, 2014, 06:09:22 PM
While I appreciate the potential for gimmicky-ness, Titanium, bonded to steel is actually a known process in manufacturing, and can strongly inhibit rust. If these tools are meant for 'real world survival', then great rust resistance might be a good idea.

Now... I'm not saying what Camillus is doing actually yields great results, but I also won't write the titanium bonding as only a marketing tool until I have a chance to try these things out.

So, I guess I need to add 'rust test' to my battery of tests for the tool when I get it. I'll test it against the Bear Grylls Survival Tool Pack (BG 'Strata'), and a Leatherman (probably my Wingman) for comparison, I think.

The marketing makes it sound like its elemental Ti though which makes no sense.  Its softer than steel.  There are plenty of process that involve Titanium like Titanium Nitride, Titanium Carbonitrate etc.   You can alloy steels with the right atoms in interstitial sites to improve structure, but that is not done by surface treatment.

From Camillus:

"Titanium Bonded is not painted or plated, but an application of a unique formulation of titanium and chromium nitride to the surface of cutting blades that actually penetrates and treats the metal to create a permanent bond.  The patented Titanium Bonding process provides the following benefits; corrosion resistance, adhesive resistance and the process itself makes the stainless steel 3x harder than untreated stainless providing a blade that stays sharper longer."

So its just a regular PVD process that uses Titanium Nitride and Chromium Nitride.  Nothing exotic there and not pure Ti which would make no sense anyhow.  Some googling on Titanium Nitride with Chromium Nitride mixture coatings finds they are widely used on consumer plumbing fixtures and door hardware.

The idea this somehow keeps the knife sharper longer is correct, BUT, only until you sharpen it.  A PVD layer is 2-5 microns thick.  That will be gone after the first sharpening.  The steel substrate and even more importantly how its heat treated, will be far more important than the patented Titanium bonded super coating.  Its a budget tool though so its not going to have an expensive coating process.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #156 on: March 29, 2014, 08:59:40 PM
Not really a bad idea in that case though. Not many people who buy the low-end tools would then turn and try to sharpen it when it dulled out. More likely to say oh its no good, guess I need to replace it.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

Offline Faiaoga

Reply #157 on: March 30, 2014, 03:59:27 AM
I do remember the "South Pacific" episode (S02E16) where he uses the bit driver on his harmonica to take the metal piece off to make into a spear tip for fishing. I don't remember if it was a Philips/Flathead or Robertson or if I could even tell.
When I was a Peace Corps volunteer in the South Pacific, I remember school children using the metal ribs of old umbrellas to make multi-prong fishing spears. Perhaps Les Stroud needs to carry an umbrella when he next ventures into the South Pacific :D :D

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #158 on: March 30, 2014, 04:18:33 AM
Blade coatings are applied before they're initially sharpened, and I don't think this case is any difference.

A TiNi coating is just going to provide corrosion resistance and a visual. That's all, no edge holding improvement.
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #159 on: March 30, 2014, 03:23:56 PM
I see no reason why a TiNi coating couldn't help initial edge retention. For light use DIY drill bits a TiNi coating is a good thing whilst it lasts.

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #160 on: March 30, 2014, 04:49:01 PM
Because there wouldn't be TiNi on the edge bevel, let alone the edge's apex. Blades are coated, then sharpened. It's been that way for every knife and multi-tool blade I've ever seen and I doubt this is any different.

Blade edges are just the plain steel.
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #161 on: March 31, 2014, 10:43:55 PM
I get that. If you sharpen them after you apply the coating then the coating comes off.
But what if you sharpen them before applying the coating? As I say, it seems to work for drill bits.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #162 on: March 31, 2014, 10:49:18 PM
Not to stymie the conversation, but just to let you all know, I got confirmation that my tool is on the way, and will arrive between Thursday and next Tuesday. Then, many questions will be answered. Hopefully.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #163 on: April 01, 2014, 12:06:57 AM
Not to stymie the conversation, but just to let you all know, I got confirmation that my tool is on the way, and will arrive between Thursday and next Tuesday. Then, many questions will be answered. Hopefully.

:woohoo: :woohoo:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #164 on: April 03, 2014, 08:44:14 PM
So... here's my review on the Les Stroud tool.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51479.0.html

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #165 on: April 04, 2014, 05:52:41 PM
I own the knife that came with the flashlight and whistle. Both are horrible, neither of mine work.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #166 on: April 04, 2014, 05:55:06 PM
My flashlight came with the batteries flipped positive for negative. You might want to see if that's the problem with the light.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #167 on: April 04, 2014, 09:35:01 PM
Yea, i tried that, i think they were dead? Didnt work no matter how I oriented them. I like the idea of having those items in my kit, just not their execution. But I did add several pieces to make it a usable kit. I will post a pic later.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%