Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Star Trek thread

kirk13 · 145 · 9394

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: The Star Trek thread
Reply #60 on: August 20, 2013, 02:41:26 AM
Agreed.  I remember years ago Whoey and I sitting in our tiny underground apartment in London waiting for that show to come on.  We were devastated when it was canceled.

Long live Chiggy Con Richthofen!

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #61 on: August 20, 2013, 05:26:30 AM
You didn't ever need to aim in any of the Star Trek franchises. Unlike most sci fi where the laser beam fires out in line with the gun barrel like a projectile weapon, phasers often shot out at whatever angle they needed to in order to hit the target dead on.  :D

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Except in narrow corridors with nowhere to go and 15 meters away, then the laws of phaser demands that the beam shall hit both walls, ceiling and floors without landing a single shot on target.  :P

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #62 on: August 20, 2013, 11:52:48 AM
I have to give it to Star Trek for phasers really.  Everyone else uses lasers, which would travel at the speed of light (seeing as how it is light) so you wouldn't see the beams.  The idea of phasers were that they were like lasers, but you could see them on TV.  Not important really, but an interesting detail.

I would have also thought that it would be virtually impossible to miss with a laser, as the impact to target would be instantaneous and unaffected by wind, distance etc.  Of course, if everyone is using lasers, maybe that's why everyone else wears shiny coveralls- I'd imagine it would be great reflectivity!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #63 on: August 20, 2013, 12:18:19 PM
the "precision" of phasers is worthy of imperial stormtroopers  :rofl:
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #64 on: August 20, 2013, 12:37:27 PM
I think the Klingons and stormtroopers went to the same shooting academy.   :facepalm:

Other than Picard's frequent costume changes this is pretty good!

Def

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #65 on: August 20, 2013, 07:10:29 PM
IT Crowd.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #66 on: August 20, 2013, 07:28:57 PM
I think the Klingons and stormtroopers went to the same shooting academy.   :facepalm:

Other than Picard's frequent costume changes this is pretty good!

Def
excellent. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #67 on: August 20, 2013, 07:31:28 PM
Caution: Contains series spoilers.

I've been a Trek fan ever since watching TOS over and over again growing up. All thanks to non-affiliate stations in NYC and Philly that would play the series end to end.

Always felt that TOS effects and sets were quite on par when compared to SciFi of the era (except maybe the masterwork 2001).

When TNG came out it was a welcomed friend, granted the writing was less than great at first. It seemed that the story conception was done by the "A team" (Gene Roddenberry) but then handed off to first year pool writers. Thankfully that was fixed in the later seasons. It even excelled in the last couple of seasons when the show was becoming very heavy handed with it's commentary on current day political and social issues, yet they did it masterfully.

I could not get into DS9 at first. The show was dark, and the characters were slowly developed. but by the second and third seasons the show came into its own. With the sweeping story arcs, and the "in your face" commentary on war, culture, and race relations, it was quite a good show. A bit of a letdown in the finally though, with the entire series build up to Sisko's true identity of half human half Prophet, only to be finalized with "I might never be back, or maybe tomorrow", meh...

Voyager I enjoyed, but not as much as others. There was too much "The prime directive is more important than us getting home". Plus the plot holes would get to me. Like reaching warp 10, but not trying to overcome the issue it caused. Not to mention that it seemed like they went thorough 20 or 30 shuttles. The time travel / Borg destruction at the end was quite good though.

Enterprise was good, could have been better. I like the use of the Temporal Wars so that they could change the time line of events and discoveries (wonder where Abrams got the idea). But there was too much of "The Vulcan's are holding us back" and not enough triumph in battle (needed more "humans are superior" moments). Although, it was cool to find out that the Orion Slave Girls actually ran the syndicate by controlling their male "owners". What would have been cool is if this was acknowledged in DS9, or at least hinted at in the DS9 time line.

All that being said, while I'm not so much of a fanatic that I own a uniform, or attend conventions, I did talk my wife into naming our daughter after Tasha Yar.  :D
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #68 on: August 20, 2013, 07:38:48 PM
All that being said, while I'm not so much of a fanatic that I own a uniform, or attend conventions, I did talk my wife into naming our daughter after Tasha Yar.  :D
That's awesome!   :tu:

I have to admit though, she was probably my least favorite character on TNG.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #69 on: August 20, 2013, 07:45:36 PM
That's awesome!   :tu:

I have to admit though, she was probably my least favorite character on TNG.

I looked at it differently, after watching TOS, and seeing the movies, she was really the first "bad smurf" woman character in the series. Especially when she came back as her Romulan daughter. Good stuff.

EDIT: Plus my wife did not like Deanna...  ;)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:47:26 PM by turnsouth »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #70 on: August 20, 2013, 07:48:49 PM
I think her character was good, but I didn't care for her as the actress. Not sure why, but she just didn't rub me the right way (and no, not like that).

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #71 on: August 20, 2013, 07:55:58 PM
I think her character was good, but I didn't care for her as the actress. Not sure why, but she just didn't rub me the right way (and no, not like that).

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

I know what you mean, but when compared to the rest of the cast, they really didn't "come into their own" until the second season, a chance she never had.
But she did seem a lot better in "Yesterday's Enterprise", as well as her subsequent appearances.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: August 20, 2013, 09:00:54 PM
Tasha was awesome on Yesterday's Enterprise. My understanding is the reason they killed her off was Denise Crosby was extremely unhappy with how the writers handled the character and she quit. I think Gates McFadden left for the same reason. After the writers got their crap together, Crusher came back and was a much better character, and "Yesterday's Enterprise" Tasha as well as her daughter were great characters. Makes you wonder what the Yar character could have been given more chance. She is a big part of the reason Yesterday's Enterprise is one of my favorite episodes.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #73 on: August 20, 2013, 09:59:11 PM
My understanding was that she left because Playboy offered her a pile of money to pose nude and Paramount didn't want to be associated with that.

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #74 on: August 21, 2013, 01:28:48 AM
I do like the uniform of the original series.

In the first season of The Next Generation....some of the guys were wearing those outfits too.

I think Deanna Troi got kinda singled out to wear the short uniform.

Not that I was complaining mind you. :D

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #75 on: August 21, 2013, 01:30:07 AM
I do like the uniform of the original series.

In the first season of The Next Generation....some of the guys were wearing those outfits too.

I think Deanna Troi got kinda singled out to wear the short uniform.

(Image removed from quote.)

Not that I was complaining mind you. :D
And I'm very glad she did! :drool:

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk 4

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #76 on: August 21, 2013, 01:44:10 AM
My understanding was that she left because Playboy offered her a pile of money to pose nude and Paramount didn't want to be associated with that.

Def

A common misconception. Actually they were photos that originally appeared in the March 1979 edition of Playboy and were republished in the May 1988 issue.

Bullfrog is right, she was originally cast as Troi, but Roddenberry liked Marina Sirtis better for the part. He had planned for Tasha to be a Trek version of Sigourney Weaver's character in Alien. But as the show began to evolve into more of a "think piece" than an action one, the character of Tasha became more background than principal. That's why she decided to leave the show.

She later joked that it took her death to get her the best episodes.

It is said that the nude photos were not republished until after she left the show because Hefner feared raising the anger of Paramount and Rick Berman. (or at least their lawyers)

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #77 on: August 21, 2013, 02:11:13 AM
Tasha was awesome on Yesterday's Enterprise. My understanding is the reason they killed her off was Denise Crosby was extremely unhappy with how the writers handled the character and she quit. I think Gates McFadden left for the same reason. After the writers got their crap together, Crusher came back and was a much better character, and "Yesterday's Enterprise" Tasha as well as her daughter were great characters. Makes you wonder what the Yar character could have been given more chance. She is a big part of the reason Yesterday's Enterprise is one of my favorite episodes.

Gates McFadden was fired after season one.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #78 on: August 21, 2013, 02:28:48 AM
Gates McFadden was fired after season one.

True. She was originally cast as the love interest of Captain Picard, but the formula / chemistry did not work. She was replaced by Diana Muldaur, a female version of McCoy, but the audience disliked her greatly and she was fired the next year.

Roddenberry then wanted McFadden back, not only because the fans loved her, but he wanted to make her and Picard's relationship "the one that could have been, and may someday be" (hence the marriage and divorce in the final episode).

She didn't want to do it until Patrick Stewart called her and talked her into it (and there were likely many secret contract concessions too).

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: August 21, 2013, 04:07:34 AM
Ah yes, I do remember that now.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #80 on: August 21, 2013, 04:35:11 AM
 :pok:  great guys,

now I want to watch Star Trek.

which means I will have to start a marathon, and take forever to get through that huge catalog of content
If I can help, let me know 

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #81 on: August 21, 2013, 12:23:27 PM

:rofl:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #82 on: August 21, 2013, 01:40:58 PM
I wondered if Spock was ever going to tell Spock about the whales!  :D

While some things would have changed in the reboot universe, unconnected things (like the whale probe thing, V-Ger etc) would probably still remain the same, and still come along to threaten humanity at pretty well the same time as they did in the original series and movies.

Def

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #83 on: August 21, 2013, 02:07:45 PM
:pok:  great guys,

now I want to watch Star Trek.

which means I will have to start a marathon, and take forever to get through that huge catalog of content

I agree.  I'm currently working through the blu rays of season two of TNG and season two of Enterprise.

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #84 on: August 21, 2013, 11:40:31 PM
Spock's PSA
trek yourself.JPG
* trek yourself.JPG (Filesize: 33.81 KB)
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: August 22, 2013, 01:05:13 AM
I still haven't seen Into Darkness. Couldn't get anyone to go with me, and going to see a Star Trek movie alone just felt a bit too.....stereotypical.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #86 on: August 22, 2013, 01:14:02 AM
I went alone,  wife did not want to go, and friends were unavailable,  but I went.   had a blast
If I can help, let me know 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #87 on: August 22, 2013, 01:30:36 AM
TNG is on Netflix Canada!  :D

I guess it's time for me to start checking them out again... you know... as reasearch... for the benefit of this thread!  :D

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #88 on: August 24, 2013, 12:06:39 PM

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #89 on: August 24, 2013, 12:14:20 PM
can anyone else see Grant Imohara geeking out at being in anything to do with Star Trek? :D  Mind you, has anyone seen him "acting" in Mythbusters? :dwts:

This could be very cool, or possibly very cheesy, we'll just have to wait and see.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%