Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

TV shows that need an update.

Gareth · 46 · 3418

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
TV shows that need an update.
on: August 25, 2013, 11:47:33 PM
So work with me here. ;)  Over the last few years we have see lots of old TV show getting either a modern TV version or being adapted to the silver screen.  Think Mission Impossible, The A-Team, Get Smart to name just a few.

Now I was just thinking of one that I don't believe has been done and is surely crying out for an update; The Man From U.N.C.L.E. 8)  I loved that show when I was a kid, perfect blend of James Bond and self-knowing humour.

Any other candidates you chaps can think off?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: TV shows that need an update.
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 11:57:03 PM
I love the Man from U.N.C.L.E.  that was a great show!
If I can help, let me know 

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 12:02:04 AM
A fresh take on The Prisoner perhaps.  :think:

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 12:06:28 AM
Blake's 7

Lost in Space

Kojak

Starsky & Hutch
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 12:48:55 AM
A fresh take on The Prisoner perhaps.  :think:

already done; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1043714/   :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 12:50:20 AM
Blake's 7

Lost in Space

Kojak

Starsky & Hutch

I'd love to see a good update of Blake's 7.  I know it's been talked about for a long time but I don't believe that it's gotten any further than that. :-\

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 12:22:29 PM

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 12:42:02 PM
The old shows are fine the way they are. If I can still watch Dads Army, Yes minister (the original), Starsky, Dukes... and so on now and enjoy them then there is no need to remake them.

If they were rubbish when new then they will probably be rubbish now.

Let’s not forget the Knight Rider remake...

What people need is to come with new ideas for TV shows and Film series (Come on, Batman, Spiderman, Star Trek have been going on for decades; aren't there any original ideas for films any more?)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 12:48:23 PM
no, remakes seem to be the big thing. You have to factor in that most of the young folks have never seen the originals as it was long before they were born. Plus if you were to in fact show them the old version they would be repulsed by the lack of HD/Widescreen/Special Effects.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 12:53:45 PM
The "Transformers 3" idea; it does not matter if nothing makes sense on screen as long as the special effects are great..  :D

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 12:59:58 PM
Doctor Who needs reworking...somebody needs to pull its head out of its Galifrian posterior :rant:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 01:03:12 PM
Doctor Who needs reworking...somebody needs to pull its head out of its Galifrian posterior :rant:

They were thinking of making Dr Who female, I believe. Maybe that will help ??     :D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 01:07:10 PM

They were thinking of making Dr Who female, I believe. Maybe that will help ??     :D

It might have done,but I really think that Stephen Moffat is the key issue. The show lost its edge as soon as Russell T Davies left. It's just gotten too clever for its own good.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 01:54:12 PM
six million dollar man ? (although he'd probably be more expensive these days  :whistle:)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 02:23:21 PM
Scary thing is most of Steve Austins upgrades are actually available now!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 02:26:15 PM
yes but a lot of captain Kirks 'toys' are reality now ! flip phone, stun gun, body scanners.....

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 02:28:56 PM
which adds to why the remaking of 'Knight rider' was destined for failure , most cars talk to the driver, make judgments about driving conditions AND have 'turbo boost' , nowadays !

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 02:29:30 PM
So work with me here. ;)  Over the last few years we have see lots of old TV show getting either a modern TV version or being adapted to the silver screen.  Think Mission Impossible, The A-Team, Get Smart to name just a few.

Now I was just thinking of one that I don't believe has been done and is surely crying out for an update; The Man From U.N.C.L.E. 8)  I loved that show when I was a kid, perfect blend of James Bond and self-knowing humour.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E is heading to the big screen.  Already in pre-production, directed by Guy Ritchie and starring Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 02:50:48 PM
Oh no! And you guys have been complaining about Ben Afleck as The Batman?!

On a different whine....some say its run its course,and that the BBC should just put it out of its misery, I only know Top Gear needs help!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 04:00:15 PM
sadly Jeremy Clarkson IS 'top gear' but he's ego has outgrown him, time to put the show to sleep quietly, like you would to a faithful old dog that has contracted rabies !

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 04:49:18 PM
The problem with replacing top gear is that it is bound to be replaced by something worst. They are still the most enjoyable car show around. I only wish they would ger rid of the star in a car section which i find boring. Jer. Clark has been busy lately, according to the Mail. :D
The original knight rider was one man with his car making a difference, with a bit of help. The new was about a huge operation with the driver and the boring car being just a small part of it. They did eliminate most of the extra cast by the end but it was too late.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 05:55:53 PM
Definitely need a GOOD Green Hornet remake.  A definitely badass Kato (like Bruce Lee!  :mn:)

and the Green Hornet actually being edgy and smart with a GREAT car.  Not like the craptacular remake that came out a few years ago... :(

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 10:03:51 PM

It might have done,but I really think that Stephen Moffat is the key issue. The show lost its edge as soon as Russell T Davies left. It's just gotten too clever for its own good.

Agreed! I don't have a telly, but have the DVDs for seasons 1 to 6 .... and I'm not even sure I want season 7. Capaldi looks like he could make a good Doctor, but his biggest challenge will be Moffat's writing

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 10:31:30 PM
sadly Jeremy Clarkson IS 'top gear' but he's ego has outgrown him, time to put the show to sleep quietly, like you would to a faithful old dog that has contracted rabies !

Time to do what ... ?  :sa:

:ahhh

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 11:21:24 PM

The Man From U.N.C.L.E is heading to the big screen.  Already in pre-production, directed by Guy Ritchie and starring Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer.

hummm, not quite sure how I feel about that. :think:  I'm happy enough that it's getting a remake, but neither of those actors really do it for me.

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 01:55:53 AM

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

George Clooney was originally cast, but dropped out due to health problems.  Tom Cruise was all set to star and recently dropped out to star in Mission Impossible 5. 

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: August 27, 2013, 08:38:10 AM

Don't get me started on Top Gear...grrrrr

Three middle aged blokes complete with middle age spread dressed like teeny boppers using the exact same predictable.................long pause............in discussions when we all know what's coming next, as for the camera work.... The dramatic vignetting in all camera shots was a breath of fresh air 10+ yes ago, now its pretty stale to say the least. I think Clarkson should get wise to the fact the today's audience is a lot more savvy and sophisticated than he gives credit.

I agree, "Put it to sleep"
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 27, 2013, 08:44:31 AM
Okay, my turn.

Man From Atlantis please, complete with mermaids, you can't beat a nice piece of fish  :drool: lol.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #28 on: August 27, 2013, 08:55:51 AM
Again I wonder, if top gear goes what will it be replaced with?

A program for cars or a cooking or gardening show? Or nothing? Or maybe they will just introduce a new presenter, male or most likely female (which will destroy half the shows jokes - lads club).

I still enjoy it.
Is it as good as it used to be?
No, but it is better than the original one and better than the imitators.
Some people just do  not like it now and never did anyway, so they just want to see it go. Some used to like it. Some, like me, just want it improved.

Get rid of the star in a car bit, focus more on cars rather than boats/hovercrafts, test more off road vehicles and normal cars.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #29 on: August 27, 2013, 10:48:13 PM
Again I wonder, if top gear goes what will it be replaced with?

A program for cars or a cooking or gardening show? Or nothing? Or maybe they will just introduce a new presenter, male or most likely female (which will destroy half the shows jokes - lads club).

I still enjoy it.
Is it as good as it used to be?
No, but it is better than the original one and better than the imitators.
Some people just do  not like it now and never did anyway, so they just want to see it go. Some used to like it. Some, like me, just want it improved.

Get rid of the star in a car bit, focus more on cars rather than boats/hovercrafts, test more off road vehicles and normal cars.
Yes, please get rid of star in a car.  Or maybe not  :think: I usually go get a drink, or do something else when that bit comes on.

I've also be watching the US Top Gear, which really wasn't good at all the first season, but they started getting pretty good by season 3.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%