Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What food did you not like as a child but can't get enough of now?

us Offline stealth007s

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Talking in the What are we eating today? thread about broccoli, lima beans and what we did and didn't like to eat  got me thinking that we needed this thread.

For me, shrimp in any form was a banned substance from my mouth. If you read the What are we eating today? recently, you would know the reason for that.

So........ What food did you not like as a child but can't get enough of now?
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Liver & onions. Couldnt even get it on the fork after trying it when young.
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

us Offline Rs217

• Please send coffee
Chinese food for me. It's now my favorite.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Beats and lima beans.  I can't get enough of them today!  :drool: :D
SAW

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Oh I see you beat me to the starting of this thread Terry :tu: 

As I mentioned, broccoli was one veggie I didn't like as a kid, and I think green beans were an issue too.  Now, I can eat both just fine.  I love the steamfresh bags of veggies, especially green beans.  I also like any of them fresh, especially green beans from the garden.  Oh same with peas too.  I couldn't stand them as a kid, but like them now.  I love peas straight out of the pod, as well as the pods themselves in salads and such.  I could eat peas from the garden until I'm stuffed, but I don't have a garden, and my dad's garden (or at least the peas) haven't faired too well this season :(

Ben mentioned liver.  That was a somewhat regular meal when I was a kid as it was really cheap.  Liver and lima beans...talk about a nasty combo :P  Still can't eat either one. 

Oh, and one more I just thought of.  Once as a kid, I had a piece of loaded pizza, and later got sick.  I couldn't eat pizza for a while after that, and still don't care to have a loaded one, but I love pizza in general and it's one of my very favorite foods (which isn't a good thing for my gut ::))
K-Tibbs

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
For me, breakfast sausages. I couldn't eat them when I was a youngster. In fact, my parents had a rule that I couldn't get off the chair unless I ate them. Hence, I remember many incidents where I sat at the kitchen table for hours staring at my arch nemesis grinning maliciously on my plate.

Today, I actually like them and can't understand why I punished myself so much when I was a child.  :think:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 08:18:49 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline jzmtl

I don't expect many people to know what this is, but I hated it when I was a kid.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Hmm, lets see, its kinda backwards for me, i used to love raw peas, my mom had a fence covered with them, i used to walk out back and just couldn't get enough! now i cant stand them. hotdogs, id eat them with everything, especially spaghetti-O's, now im not to big on them, they have to have something on them like chili, or they gotta be like a spicy dog, and the spaghetti-O's make me cringe. on the other hand salad I hated as a kid but love now, and eggs, they had to be scrambled, wouldn't eat any other way, now gotta be over easy! my parents were just so bad about making me eat things, i guess it just stuck, and certain foods its not the flavor but the texture, i just cant eat them! :pok: JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
I used to hate rice, curry and pasta. Or at least I thought I didn't like them. After my first curry I was hooked. After my first pasta disk that wasn't cooked at school (i.e. overcooked soggy slimy spaghetti) I was equally hooked.

My secondary school really put me off onions - they'd put raw or barely cooked onion in a lot of things. Greasy rise with large lumps of raw onion? Hmmm...
I love them now, get through loads in my own cooking. I still don't like raw onion in sandwiches though - that's just wrong. A small amount of finely chopped spring onions is OK though.

us Offline stealth007s

I feel like my whole childhood was all about food I didn't like. The shrimp story was only one of probably hundreds of more like it. My Mom was a horrible cook and we suffered for it :rofl: I too, liked eggs only scrambled and they had to be bright yellow and not golden brown. I had this fear that anything cooked that was brown was burnt. A fear that, I think, most kids have. For me, I actually have a list probably a mile long or better of foods that I hated as a child but I eat now. The mrs is a fabulous cook (trained by her Dad, who was a chef) and I also have my middle daughter who is going through culinary school at the Art Institute in Austin, Tx.

A little story about my oldest son, who's now almost 24. When he was 2 1/2-3 years old, he would eat meat by chewing it and spitting it out. He would never swallow it :rant: We would find little piles of chewed up steak or burger in random places throughout the house. I was wondering how this was happening. So I watched him at the dinner table one night and he had a piece he was chewing on and I noticed that he didn't swallow it but tucked it into his cheek and left it there. He proceeded to eat the rest of his food, swallowing mashed potatoes, green beans and salad (yeah, a 2 1/2-3yo ate all that stuff). In between eating and swallowing the other food he would chew his steak and tuck it away. After dinner I payed even more attention and  he would chew on the tucked away meat and when he was finished chewing on that part he spit it out in his hand and would set it on the kitchen counter, end tables, kitchen table and other various places in the house. This was such a problem that we talked to a friend who was a nutritionist specializing in pediatrics. She told us that he could chew the meat and still get the required protein from the juices without swallowing the meat itself. We sat him down and discussed the piles and told him that if he didn't want to swallow the meat he didn't have to and to just leave it on his plate or or throw it in the trash later. Not one single problem with the meat piles after that.

Terry

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Beer?  :drink: :cheers: :D
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Fish. I couldn't stand fish in any form, but these days I devour it with vengeance  :D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Developers.  ::)  :pok:  :rofl:

My least favorite food that has become a big hit with me is sauerkraut.  :drool:

us Offline Agonistes

brussels sprouts and processed liver.

still hate broccoli though.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!

Oh good one Whoey :tu:  I even remember the first time I tasted beer and thought it was nasty.  It is an acquired taste, but once acquired, a good taste imo :drink:

brussels sprouts and processed liver.

still hate broccoli though.

Oh yes, I forgot about Brussels sprouts, and we even had them just the other night.  That was another big one I hated, but now I enjoy them.  Still not liver though :P
K-Tibbs

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
... meat?
Got those frog legs.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Fish, anything spicy, lentils/pulses other than baked beans or mushy peas, spinach, strawberries, pickled beetroot

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
I always hated potato salad and coleslaw, now I love both.  I also hated cornbread and now that is my absolute favorite!  I also wasn't big on spicy foods, now I put at least hot sauce or jalepeno's on everything.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club

Fish, anything spicy, lentils/pulses other than baked beans or mushy peas, spinach, strawberries, pickled beetroot
You didn't like strawberries? :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: Strawberries are delicious!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Fish (all, I only ate red mullet and smelt)
Fish Soup
Leeks with rice
All beans
Chickpeas
Lentils
Fava
Beefγ Liver (I ate lamp's, duck's. goose's etc)
Patsa (boiled beef omentum and foot)
Eggplants
Olives

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club

I used to think all beer was crap lager. I still can't stand crap lager but since being introduced to Proper Beer, om nom nom.

As a little Cupboard, there were certain foods I only liked if I ate them in the right place. Cottage cheese was wonderful at my grandmother's house but if my mum bought exactly the same stuff and we had it at home it wasn't tasty.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Erm,lets see...

Spicy food,mushroom,yogurt,any fish other than fish fingers,tea,coffee,mashed potatoes

Funniest one is biltong....

If you live in South Africa,not liking biltong is like an Irishman not liking mashed potatoes...oh wait :think:

Anyway,as a kid or an adult I hated biltong,but bout three years ago,here in London I got a craving for biltong,now I love it :sak:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline stealth007s

Erm,lets see...

Spicy food,mushroom,yogurt,any fish other than fish fingers,tea,coffee,mashed potatoes

Funniest one is biltong....

If you live in South Africa,not liking biltong is like an Irishman not liking mashed potatoes...oh wait :think:

Anyway,as a kid or an adult I hated biltong,but bout three years ago,here in London I got a craving for biltong,now I love it :sak:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sent from Endor via An Ewok

Terry

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
I used to hate courgette, eggplant and artichokes. Now they're not too bad :)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Good topic!  There was very little I didn't eat as a kid, which still holds true today.  :)  There are, however, a couple of things.  I hated brocolli as a kid, but nowadays I don't mind it.  Granted, when I make it now I tend to sautee it in some oil, butter and crushed garlic......  :drool:  Pickles are another thing.  When I was young I HATED pickles.  Now, a nice deli Kosher dill with a sandwich?  Pure awesomeness.  :tu:  Same goes with sauerkraut.  Couldn't stand it, now it's just fine with me. 
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline stealth007s

The best way I've found to make broccoli is to put it on the grill (coals or wood, not gas :twak: :rofl: ) and sauté some chopped pancetta with some sliced garlic and cremini or shiitake mushrooms in olive oil to put over the broccoli. That's some :drool: :drool: :drool: !¡!

Terry

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
The best way I've found to make broccoli is to put it on the grill (coals or wood, not gas :twak: :rofl: ) and sauté some chopped pancetta with some sliced garlic and cremini or shiitake mushrooms in olive oil to put over the broccoli. That's some :drool: :drool: :drool: !¡!

Sounds absolutely  :drool:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline stealth007s

Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99